Click Here to Login

Old 14 September 2010, 08:46   #1

Town: Bristol, UK
Boat name: Wannabe ;-)
Length: no boat
Intro - and a Q for anyone in Bristol or nearby

Hello everyone,

Been lurking a while, thought a quick intro in order as now registered

I'm in Bristol, I dive (PADI Rescue level), mid life crisis, I have a 1300 motorbike and 2 beach buggies, an 8 year old boy and a stressful indoor job.

I'm looking at getting rid of one or both buggies which I have had for years now, and filling my garage with a different toy

I'll be doing the PB2 course, and am thinking of a 4m searider as a probable first rib

I'm struggling with whether this is a good idea or not. Part of me thinks "I have space, a tow car, had sailing boats when I was a teenager, love the water, have decent income, I dive - what's the matter man, get on with it'. Another part thinks "you work too hard, have limited time, are committed running kids rugby most Sundays for 8 months a year, live close to a muddy river not the decent dive sites of the SW corner, its all just another mid life crisis pipe dream, don't be an idiot"

So ................ anyone from Bristol care to help me out here ? Is this maritime city a good place to own and use a rib ? Or will I for ever be on the M5 or the A roads trying to get to Cornwall or Southampton for sunshine and clear water ?

I've also asked a practical question about trailer sizes here - http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37943 - if anyone has time for a quick look.

Any other Bristol based tips, thoughts etc gratefully received

(I wish I'd been on here a month ago and met Matt with his sea rider 4.7 for sale by the way !! I'd have found a way to fit that in to my life and garage somehow !!!)
Old 14 September 2010, 09:16   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Blludy L Man! You live by the sea & you're asking us if you should buy a boat You might as well join This Lot & ask 'em how to cook a rare steak. I've got an 80mile drive just to get the thing in the water
What about all those stunning places around North Devon, South Wales, Pembrokeshire, Lyme Bay all within a couple of hours drive of Bristol. Pull your finger out man & consider yourself told (sorry "advised)
Oh! BTW welcome
Old 14 September 2010, 09:22   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Welcome to RIBnet

Time to use the boat is everybody's enemy, usually closely followed by the sinking feeling at the cost of filling it up

I think there are a lot of boats of all sizes and types bought by people who never really use them as much as they thought they would, but I suppose the best advice is to buy something cheapish that you can get rid of after a year or so without losing too much money on it if you find you really don't have time for it - depreciation on a new or nearly new rib is a bit like depreciation on a new car, in other words something you only want to do if you can afford it or are very very sure you are going to want to keep it.

Personally I often go out and then think I really should have been doing something more productive but an important part of being a committed boat owner is the ability to say b&llox I don't care I am off to enjoy myself

Go on you know you want to

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2010, 09:37   #4

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Boats are not for those worried about the cost or time that they will use them. Though you don't appear to be one them anyway.

1. You have stated you "have decent income" so money shouldn't be a problem. You also have a few grand of toys lying around already that probably rarely get used.

2.Time wise, one or two days a year of glorious weather is an experience that provides fuel for hope for the rest of the year! Commitments to rugby are not an excuse, in fact it is perfect. The time most likely to be taken boating is out of rugby season. The rib unlike the bike or buggies can be used on the sundays when rugby isn't on to take the nipper out and about with you.

3. You are thinking about it, so do it. No one ever regrets trying and No one likes a daydreamer/talk and no action.

4. You have space to store it.

5. You are a keen diver so know the rib is right. surely you can combine the two/?

You have no excuses at all. You have the time, money, inclination, space and hobby to compliment. Most are missing 3 or 4 of these and enjoy ownership and use. Get a grip and sort yourself out.

Welcome though
Old 14 September 2010, 10:02   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Have to agree with all the above - there comes a time (for me anyway) when you get to a certain age and think sod it - go for it.

There is the old saying about the happiest two days of a boat owner's life? The day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...! But....no-one knows what is round the corner and my thinking was get the boat run it for a couple of years and see how it goes. As others have said buy the right boat at the right money and it will be easy to sell on if you decide to. The extras do add up - LJ's, electronics, anchor, safety gear etc but a lot of it is resalable if you find it's not for you.

I think RIB users are real enthusiasts and compared to most of the boats sitting in Marinas and driveways we try and use them more than most.

Do the PB2 and go for it - nothing to loose.

Oh, and by the way I bought Matt's 4.7!!! LOL!!
Old 14 September 2010, 10:12   #6

Town: Bristol
You could join one of the dive clubs in Bristol who own RIBs.

Ours has two and a SIB too.....................

Might be a stepping stone to your own without the capital investment and hassles.............
Old 14 September 2010, 10:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
You could join one of the dive clubs in Bristol who own RIBs.

Ours has two and a SIB too.....................

Might be a stepping stone to your own without the capital investment and hassles.............
hi -which club are you in ? I've mainly dived in warm water and have only recently done drysuit and nav specialties, currently buying more kit for UK use, and need to get time in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Oh, and by the way I bought Matt's 4.7!!! LOL!!
I know - I read about it, green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
5. You are a keen diver so know the rib is right. surely you can combine the two/?
would you believe, thinking about it, I've never dived off a rib ?!

hard boats (some very small!), an old dhow, and shore dives only. I've dived remote bits of Fiji, Lake Malawi, remote spots off Pemba - a few unusual places as well as the more usual Red Sea stuff - but can't remember ever being in a rib !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Pull your finger out man & consider yourself told (sorry "advised)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
You have no excuses at all. You have the time, money, inclination, space and hobby to compliment. Most are missing 3 or 4 of these and enjoy ownership and use. Get a grip and sort yourself out.

- well, I did ask !

Thanks all for the responses so far !

Anyone help me out with any local knowledge - the where, when and how of using a rib locally ?

Thanks
Old 14 September 2010, 10:35   #8

Town: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky Monkey View Post
hi -which club are you in ? I've mainly dived in warm water and have only recently done drysuit and nav specialties, currently buying more kit for UK use, and need to get time in the water
www.severnsidesac.com

Lots of our members have come in from an experience level you describe

PM me with any specific questions.
Old 14 September 2010, 11:14   #9

Matt will help I'm sure on local knowledge - and he'll probably find you another Searider - he's had quite a few! The 4m are significantly more common and much cheaper than a 4.7 but I would not really want anything smaller than a 4.7 in the UK.
Old 14 September 2010, 11:18   #10

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Quote:
So ................ anyone from Bristol care to help me out here ? Is this maritime city a good place to own and use a rib ? Or will I for ever be on the M5 or the A roads trying to get to Cornwall or Southampton for sunshine and clear water ?
Living in Portishead on the edge of the Bristol channel I have to admit that it isn't really the most inviting stretches of water. It looks like onion soup, the tidal range is massive, many of the beaches are made of black emulsion paint and you have to lock in and out of the marina. That's why my boat stays in Cornwall for most of the year.

Saying that, I really ought to stop taking what is on the doorstep for granted and investigate the channel more!

Go with the midlife crisis and get the boat, you'll never know unless you try!

Alex
Old 14 September 2010, 11:18   #11

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
also, if you are using it for the child and others, the SR4 may be a bit small. you may want to look at the 4.7SR or a 4.8-5m boat, capable of taking a passenger or two and able to take some dive gear? The SR4 is more of a blast about toy, but don't tell some that

5.4m SR would be ideal as is very towable/launchable with your honda, but looking at your other thread regarding the garage, length could be an issue.

There are some threads on here stating which boats fit in which garages, with spreadsheets of dimensions. God it's exciting stuff

useful if applicable though
Old 14 September 2010, 11:18   #12

Quote:
Matt will help I'm sure on local knowledge - and he'll probably find you another Searider - he's had quite a few! The 4m are significantly more common and much cheaper than a 4.7 but I would not really want anything smaller than a 4.7 in the UK.
storage is my issue once I get over 4m - I'm not meant to store a boat on the drive (restrictive covenants etc) and the drive is short anyway - so it looks like I'm pretty limited to 4m and a compact trailer so it fits in the 5m garage
Old 14 September 2010, 12:04   #13

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Any other Bristol based tips, thoughts etc gratefully received
When I went to the Bristol Blue shop, it didn't stock the line of merchandise I expected.
Old 14 September 2010, 12:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
Living in Portishead on the edge of the Bristol channel I have to admit that it isn't really the most inviting stretches of water. It looks like onion soup, the tidal range is massive, many of the beaches are made of black emulsion paint and you have to lock in and out of the marina. That's why my boat stays in Cornwall for most of the year.
ah yes, this is some of what bothers me ....

Bristol seems odd - sitting outside the Cottage with a pint in your hand on a sunny day you convince yourself very easily that you want a rib, then you drive 200 yards and look at the muddy dribble that is the river under the suspension bridge at low tide and think ....erm .... really ? I grew up on the Dee estuary on the Wirral, so miles of mud at low tide is nothing new to me, but its a bit limiting isn't it

I'm still waiting for someone local to say "I use my rib near Bristol all the time....." !! (I'm in Backwell, so Portishead, Clevedon, Weston, Bristol all within very easy reach)

I suppose on the up side though storage in Cornwall would mean my garage based size limitation becomes less of an issue and I can get a bigger one (there - am I doing a bit better at this now ? )
Old 14 September 2010, 12:21   #15

See this v. recent topic for more on garages etc - you should get a 4.7/4.8 in your garage with a bit of jiggling about:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37811
Old 14 September 2010, 12:47   #16

Quote:
See this v. recent topic for more on garages etc - you should get a 4.7/4.8 in your garage with a bit of jiggling about:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37811
thanks - I can't see me getting a 4.7 into a 5m garage though, unless I -

1 - store the engine off the boat

2 - chop the draw bar and have it bolting on

or is there more jiggle-ability than I realise ?
Old 14 September 2010, 12:58   #17

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Depending on how the trailer is constructed you might be able to loosen off a few U-bolts and slide the draw bar out the front. It may mean taking the winch post with it, but for storage purposes this shouldn't present a problem so long as something else is preventing the boat from rolling forward or backwards on the trailer....
Old 14 September 2010, 12:59   #18

Just re-measured mine and very tip of trailer to very rear most tip of cone is 510cm. I could easily move the boat further up the trailer/shorten drawbar by 10cm though so you should get it in without too much hassle. Big difference in usability between 4 and 4.7 as there is 4.7 to 5.3, etc, etc.
Old 14 September 2010, 13:01   #19

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
1 - store the engine off the boat
No, this won't help much, cos with the motor down, it doesn't protrude past the ends of the toobs, in any case. You'd also have to deflate the toobs to realise the benefit of removing the motor.

Quote:
2 - chop the draw bar and have it bolting on
A more likely & practical solution

Or you could do what my mate did and take a core cutter to the back wall of the garage to get the boat & trailer inside.
Old 14 September 2010, 13:20   #20

Quote:
Just re-measured mine and very tip of trailer to very rear most tip of cone is 510cm. I could easily move the boat further up the trailer/shorten drawbar by 10cm though so you should get it in without too much hassle. Big difference in usability between 4 and 4.7 as there is 4.7 to 5.3, etc, etc.
I am now even more envious of missing that one when it was for sale in Bristol then

I love your boat, and if I could find something similar on a compact trailer so I could squeeze it in, I'd go for it. I'm off to the garage with a tape measure again......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Or you could do what my mate did and take a core cutter to the back wall of the garage to get the boat & trailer inside.
not sure that would go down too well, since it backs onto the kitchen