Old 05 July 2013, 21:53   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Insurance renewal time again

Been with Portcawl for the past 3 years seemed an OK premium £190 (cheaper than my previous at Noblemarine) - I haven't had any claims (touch wood!) so can't comment on how good they are at paying out. My only issue was that they wouldn't insure me to cross the Channel (Alderney Floptilla last year) without an aux engine, which on my boat isn't really feasible.

So thought I'd shop around a little - got a couple of slightly cheaper quotes from Craftinsure and Euromarine. Has anyone any experience of these or recommend other companies?

Cheers
John
Old 05 July 2013, 23:43   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'm insured with Craftinsure. Good communication, answer emails and calls and are happy to offer additional cover. I'm covered on a launch and retrieval basis, but pay slightly more for the boat if its moored dusting the holidays.

Can't say what they're like if the inevitable happens... hope I never find out!
Old 06 July 2013, 00:02   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Been with Portcawl for the past 3 years seemed an OK premium £190 (cheaper than my previous at Noblemarine) - I haven't had any claims (touch wood!) so can't comment on how good they are at paying out. My only issue was that they wouldn't insure me to cross the Channel (Alderney Floptilla last year) without an aux engine, which on my boat isn't really feasible.

So thought I'd shop around a little - got a couple of slightly cheaper quotes from Craftinsure and Euromarine. Has anyone any experience of these or recommend other companies?

Cheers
John
Interesting, as I just moved to Porthcrawl. They didnt say I needed an aux to make the journey from Milford Haven to Kilmore Quay and back...they just said I needed to pay an additional £26 on the premium. So far Porthcrawl have been great. Lets hope I never need them for anything.
Old 06 July 2013, 04:08   #4

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
In terms of getting a quote, price and policy towergate were really good. Can't say what claims are like but good in those parts!
Old 06 July 2013, 07:58   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I can assure those who use Porthcawl that their pay-out for claims is excellent and top class.
They paid out £7k when my console was damaged by some b******d WAFI, without hesitation.

Great company.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 July 2013, 08:15   #6
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Longjohn,

Whisper and I both moved to Craftinsure last year for the Alderney trip as most insurers would not cover us because apparently our Ribs were too small, at the time no aux, despite the fact they were all told we would be in convoy with other bigger ribs. I think Craftinsure charged us an additional one off premium of £20 to extend our cover to Alderney.

We did approach them together to get a bigger discount if we both moved to Craftinsure obviously with separate policies.

Obviously you only get to know how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim, but from other posts i have read people on here have made claims and Craftinsure have paid out.
Old 06 July 2013, 13:40   #7

Town: montrose
Boat name: rib tickler
Make: Tornado
Engine: 150hp Optimax V6
I moved from Craftinsure to Westfield as they covered us for injuring our own divers in the water/ carrying Oxygen on the rib and gave us lower leg cover which the former wouldn't do.

Don't know if this is relevant to yourself but it's always worth reading the tiny print
Old 06 July 2013, 16:10   #8
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
I was with Westfield before, I think it is Nick who runs that side really good guy and good cover levels and was really apologetic that the underwriters at AXA wouldn't cover Alderney