Old 23 November 2011, 07:32   #1

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Insurance for under 16?

Hi,

I want to be able to get out on the water and rack up some serious miles so I can prepare for my round Britain trip hopefully this summer.

the topic of insurance is worrying though. my dad (who knows nothing about boats and has only been on ferries etc) wants
me to get insurance before he lets me out on the boat solo, he thinks I'm going to run someone over and then we will lose the house when I get sued millions?

firstly, is there a way to some how get third party at 15 so my dad will be at ease, I am doing my intermediate course in under a month if that's worth anything

I am open to any suggestions on how to get round this, is insurance really that important. i don't know alot so am I wrong in presuming it's not important?

if i can't get it i guess i'm to have to make some boating friends that don't mind a free trip out in rough weather i guess...

Also a quick update on the round Britain attempt. Planning is going well, and two sponsers seem intrested. A 4/5m sea rider will probably be the boat of choice.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Old 23 November 2011, 07:50   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Morning. In this day of HSE around every corner I would like to tell you bugger the insurance.
But I'm afraid on this point you're dads right. It's not just that you might run someone over. God forbid. But you may damage someone else's boat or property. Also it has been known for marinas to ask certain people who can't drive there boat so well if they have insurance. I would go out on a limb and say that you probably wouldn't be to welcome in some marinas without it

sent from a remote device
Old 23 November 2011, 08:11   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
is insurance really that important. i don't know alot so am I wrong in presuming it's not important?

if i can't get it i guess i'm to have to make some boating friends that don't mind a free trip out in rough weather i guess...
Most places will insist on seeing documents before you launch.
The other factor from what you've put it your saying you don't know alot but want to go out in rough weather?
Some formal qualifications wouldn't go amiss.
What RIB have you got or looking at getting?

My brother has a 4.6m SIB and just pumps it up and goes, no insurance etc....
Old 23 November 2011, 16:30   #4

Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Hi chewy

I am looking at the seariders as they are much better on fuel than a 6 or a 7 meter and they seem to have such a good rep.

As of now i have no rough weather experience, but how i can get it without going out in rough weather, i don't mean a full on force 7 storm, i'm talking force 4 and 5 for now
Old 23 November 2011, 16:39   #5

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I know a lot of people who've never even considered insuring their boats, I used to sail on a lake where it was mandatory and it's never occurred to me not to insure, bit like my car.

Boats get nicked, especially smallish ones on trailers that have little security and valuable engines on the back and accidents can happen as I found out when I took out a bow roller on a yacht when I was learning to park big boats (with an instructor) 10 years ago, I did £2.5k's worth of damage and my insurance co paid up with no quibbling. Less common and most important is if to injure someone, it's not fair on them if your not covered.

As you prices, your asking the wrong people, you need to phone a few insurance company's and get some quotes, I use Noble marine and GJW but there are a fair few to choose from. Everyone on here will have some sort of experience, no claims and be a little older but if it helps, my friends just bought a 4.5m rib with a 50hp with no experience and it's cost him just shy of £200.
Old 23 November 2011, 16:47   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
In this country it would be your dad getting insurance on his and the boat's behalf. At 15 you'd probably not even be named on the policy. You certainly couldn't sign such a policy.

Force 5 is going to beat you up pretty good depending on the underlying swell.
Old 23 November 2011, 16:47   #7

Thats cheaper than i thought! I think i might have sorted it, someone said towergate mardon can insure my dad and then i just us it with his permission. Ill give them a call tomorrow
Old 23 November 2011, 16:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
In this country it would be your dad getting insurance on his and the boat's behalf. At 15 you'd probably not even be named on the policy. You certainly couldn't sign such a policy.

Force 5 is going to beat you up pretty good depending on the underlying swell.
Didnt see your post sorry, i am hoping to get some shock mitagation seats from a sponser. And getting beat up is half the fun of it!
Old 23 November 2011, 16:54   #9

Length: no boat
sounds like a damn good sponsor who will get you some shock mitigation seats! which ones you planning on getting?
Old 23 November 2011, 17:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann View Post
sounds like a damn good sponsor who will get you some shock mitigation seats! which ones you planning on getting?
Oh i don't have one yet for seats i was hoping to get one in the near future, i did speak to a very nice guy from high up in the marines today though...

I will contact some of the manufacturers once i get the rib, you never know they might lend me one?
Old 23 November 2011, 17:45   #11

Length: no boat
ahhhh the old friends in high places....very good....very good
Old 23 November 2011, 17:52   #12

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Towergate are good I hit a submerged object a number of years back and they settled in two week flat

Old 23 November 2011, 18:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann View Post
ahhhh the old friends in high places....very good....very good
Old 23 November 2011, 18:24   #14

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Towergate are good I hit a submerged object a number of years back and they settled in two week flat

Excellent - I'm with them so good to know!
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote