Old 20 January 2009, 16:49   #1

Town: Niantic,Ct.06357
Boat name: no name
Make: Apex
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 115
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger Peterson
info on Apex Rib

I just bought a used Apex A-19 with 1 115 honda sight unseen,just a lot of photos. I was very pleased when it got here but have to admit the latches and hinges were a little bit cheesy.I don't see many apex ribs for sale. Can anybody tell me anything about them.Good or bad.Be gentle.
Old 20 January 2009, 18:47   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Peterson View Post
I just bought a used Apex A-19 with 1 115 honda sight unseen,just a lot of photos. I was very pleased when it got here but have to admit the latches and hinges were a little bit cheesy.I don't see many apex ribs for sale. Can anybody tell me anything about them.Good or bad.Be gentle.
I've seem some in a mixup rib competition between Caribe, AB and Apex in BVI, all well built employing Hypalon Orca brand fabrics. All these 3 brands have been on the market for quite some time and have excelent built & well priced sib/ribs, find Apex brand to be more expensive than other two brands, don't ask me why. The factory is located in Costa Rica, own probably by an old European inflatable builder. Be tranquile, you have made a nice purchase, congrats. Why build in Central or South American countries, to be market properly located, lower hand labour costs and offer competitive prices as European hand labour is prohibitively expensive.

Just a side note, I've always thought that Hypalon fabric appart being extremely resistant to abrassions & solar punishment, was a thick fabric, but no, most sibs/ribs are made in Orca 0.9 mm fabric, larger end sib/ribs are made in Orca 1.0 mm fabric None of these 2 fabrics are the Rambo type seen in movies, so use properly to avoid cuts, holes, as in any inflatable and inflate tubes properly to their working pressure.

Happy Ribbing