Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 August 2021, 13:22   #1

Indonesia to Australia. possible or not?

Hi, expecting to get some pretty discouraging replies, but I will put this out there.
So Im an Australian living in Indonesia. Currently and, for the foreseeable future, there is no way to get back to Australia for less than around $10,000 on flights that probably arent available anyway. Long story short, I have been considering trying to make it to Ashmore Reef from the island of Rote. It is about 130km and I would attempt it in a 3-4m Rib or possibly Sib with maybe a 15hp engine. The Reef has an exposed sandy area and there is an Australian Border Protection ship stationed nearby for 300 days per year which I imagine would intercept me. Im not sure what they would do with me, but the next island is about 200km further south and then the mainland some 170km after that. I imagine making it to Ashmore wouldnt be a problem fuel wise, but after that I imagine it would be. How much fuel do you think I could carry and how far would it get me? Obviously the likelihood is that Border patrol would detain me and I would be sent to Darwin on some re-supply ship, but if the option exists for me to continue south under my own steam then that would be preferable to the govt. possibly billing me some ridiculous amount for rescuing me. Anyway, any ideas? I am aware that this all sounds crazy, but desperate times call for desperate measures and I would just like some feedback from people in the know.'
Thanks
Old 20 August 2021, 13:50   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Length: 7m +
130km + 200km + 170km = 500km or 270 nautical miles. Not allowing for tides or currents and assuming you can steer a direct path regardless of wind and weather.

You might get 25 miles on 1.5 gallons per hour for a relatively modern outboard. That is just under 16.5 gallons or 75 liters for 275 nautical miles.

If you were actually mad (or desperate) enough to try it, you would need at very least double that fuel. Not just to counter tides and weather, but also the weight of fuel and the spare engine you would 100% require being that far offshore.

Going that far from land in a 3-4m RIB is suicide unless you are 100% sure of your equipment and the weather/sea state.

If you are that desperate to escape Indonesia, please look at getting a tourist VISA somewhere and claiming refugee status when you land. It would be cheaper than buying/equipping a RIB and will mean your family/friends don't spend the next 40 years wondering where exactly you drowned.
Old 20 August 2021, 14:52   #3

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Whilst i might be keen to try it in something suitable, I wouldn't try it without a serious backup plan.

The kit you're proposing isn't suitable, and you have no backup plan.
Old 20 August 2021, 15:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatRob View Post
Whilst i might be keen to try it in something suitable, I wouldn't try it without a serious backup plan.

The kit you're proposing isn't suitable, and you have no backup plan.
@Dayurensuf by 'something suitable', most of us would mean a 9+m RIB from a known manufacturer with every electronic aid possible, redundant engines/batteries, spare fuel, 3+ highly experienced crew members and an offshore rated life raft. At an absolute minimum.

The 'backup plan' would be at very least an equally well-equipped and sized RIB following in convoy.

Please don't do anything silly and look at other options.
Old 20 August 2021, 15:28   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of the OP's plan, It's always fascinated me that apart from a few relatively short sea hops, I could theoretically cross the English channel & drive to Australia.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 15:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of the OP's plan, It's always fascinated me that apart from a few relatively short sea hops, I could theoretically cross the English channel & drive to Australia.
I just had a look at the map. If you go the long way around through Singapore/Indo, island hopping to find the shortest distance by sea, the longest passage would be about 95 miles from PNG to Cape York.
Old 20 August 2021, 15:58   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
I just had a look at the map. If you go the long way around through Singapore/Indo and island hopping to find the shortest distance by sea, the longest passage would be about 95 miles from PNG to Cape York.
Yup perfectly doable in any half decent RIB. It's actually shorter than going around Mull
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 16:28   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
...going around Mull

Something I've ducked several times now. My luck may be running out.
Old 20 August 2021, 22:53   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Suggest you read Survive the Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson with a cup of hot tea and a corned beef sandwich to hand, trust me you'll never leave shore. You're practically on the same latitude in the Pacific.

Their 43 foot yacht was holed by a pod of whales 200 miles west of the Galápagos Islands in 1972 and they spent 37 days adrift, and that was someone with a naval background.

Have you looked at Ashmore Reef recently? There's nothing there, and it could be just your luck that the Australian border vessel is deployed elsewhere to deal with another emergency. What then? Middle of the Timor Sea, open to the elements, never mind the local wildlife.

I'm sure you'll get home soon.
Old 21 August 2021, 09:48   #10

Yeah Im not really sensing a lot of encouragement coming from you guys on this one if Im honest. Did I mention that I would be carrying an epirb and gps etc? Is my assumption that ribs are almost unsinkable not correct?
I think what Im hearing is that technically it is possible, but just ridiculously dangerous. I did look at the seemingly safer route from Papua to Torres Strait Island, but it would mean I would have to pass thru PNG waters illegally. There was one Englishman a few years ago who was on the run from police and he made it to PNG from Australia on a jet ski, but turned back to refuel and was nabbed by Australian border force.
150 litres of fuel doesnt seem like a real lot to carry.
Old 21 August 2021, 09:50   #11

whoops posted twice
Old 21 August 2021, 10:26   #12

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
I would more concerned about the head hunters in Papua and the Ozzy border force than the sea voyage if I were you .
Old 21 August 2021, 11:04   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It would probably be more sensible to learn to sail and buy a small yacht so you are much less reliant on fuel and less likely to be seen as totally crazy by border force! Of course its going to take many months to have the skill & knowledge to sail that journey…

An EPIRB isn’t an excuse for a foolhardy passage. Ribs rarely sink completely but they do break up, float just above the water too heavy to move by an engine that won’t run with water in its tanks/battery anyway, and in big seas (the sort you get 50 miles off shore) are liable to capsize. Even at those latitudes hypothermia should kill you before the sharks get you unless you are really unlucky though!That said, I think the journey is probably doable by someone who has the skills and experience needed to plan and prepare it. To be 100% clear - that person does not need to ask here how much fuel they need.

I’ve not been following Australian rules in detail - but I think if you do make it you will be in enforced quarantine for 2 weeks at your expense.
Old 21 August 2021, 17:17   #14
A1o

Length: no boat
Following this post with some interest.. amazing the amount of knowledge out there...

Primary importance I wish the OP the best of luck getting home but via the most sensible and safest way possible.. it’s better to get there than not get there at all! Good luck my friend!

Not to hijack the post but the suggestion of Survive the savage sea sparked a reading interest - any other recommendations whilst advising the OP as per his original post would be appreciated here!! Slightly different I read Captain Philips which was a great read!
Old 22 August 2021, 00:11   #15

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Not sure if you've seen the journey that Hans Tholstrup did from here in Oz to Japan in his 17ft standard Haines signature (boat Ive just sold). He encountered Gail force winds and cyclones on his 7500km journey. At times he would allow his boat to part fill with water to hold it in the water. Im sure you will of looked at some of the amazing stories how long people have survived at sea on nothing but a raft. Exposure to both sun and cold if you are wet would be a big concern and as others have mentioned doing it through the legal channels is the way forward.

Fuel bladders and water bladders would slow the journey but they do allow some decent ranges.
Old 22 August 2021, 02:08   #16

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Is it possible to get a passage on a cargo ship?
Old 22 August 2021, 06:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
It's an area to avoid at present. I've a friend who cleans up shipping messes for the Philippines Govt and the shipping industry has had a particularly torrid 18 months as the workers haven't been allowed onshore and none have been vaccinated etc. The murder and suicide rates are through the roof as are infections apparently. It's quite horrendous how they've been treated.

Right now, I suspect you're safer crossing on a paddle board while casually chumming the water than being the tasty fresh meat locked inside a metal tin.
Old 23 August 2021, 00:33   #18

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Apart from that Tim, it's quite safe.
Old 23 August 2021, 02:52   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Greta Thunberg hitched a lift on one of the YouTube sailing channels. Must be someone in the cruising community passing that way.
Old 23 August 2021, 08:40   #20

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Dayurensuf, I think its a great idea - if you make it it would be an epic journey, load up and go for it!

Tags
sib