Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 August 2021, 16:34   #21

Many thanks to all the advisors and well-wishers.
To respond, yes there is nothing on Ashmore, but there is a water source and one could camp and sustain oneself with fish and brought along food for a while if stranded there.

Yes, sailing would be a more sensible idea, but I imagine a sailboat is somewhat expensive and I dont have much interest in it.

As far as I know, cargo ships are not allowed to take anyone to Australia at the moment .
Yes, thankyou Poly. There is no denying that my boating skills are amateur at best. Sharks are a real concern if I capsize. For some reason I thought all the sharks in the tropics were non-man-eating reef sharks, but there seems to be a lot of the nasty types too.
Yes, I would have to quarantine upon arrival, 2 weeks in a hotel at about $2500.
The number of sailboats going from Indonesia to Australia has plummeted as you can imagine so finding a boat going that way would be next to impossible.

Yes, so I am still contemplating the trip. I would definitely coordinate with Border Force to let them know Im coming and make sure they would be in the area. Another possibility would be for me to pay some Indonesian fishermen to tow me out as close to Ashmore as they are willing and then I could jump in the rib and make the dash 10 or 20km to the island.
Anyway, monsoon season will be coming up soon so I have to wait a while before I make a decision. Hopefully the situation on the ground will improve by then, and an easier way will open up. I am settled here in Indonesia, but I have young children in Oz that I havent seen for almost 2 years and the thought of not getting back to see them for another couple of years is pretty tough so we will see.

Tags
sib