Old 29 October 2008, 00:50   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Im so sore!!!

Well we were out playing with the ships rescue boat (Delta 6.5 with Yanmar inboard diesel and Jetdrive) today, stayed out too long and got sunburn all over my head and arms, it didnt help that I shaved my head down to a no1 the other week....lol
At least there was a decent swell running approx 1.5m so we got some good airbourne action into the bargain but I think I have pulled a muscle in the back of my left leg. To console myself and compound the sunburn problem I had to have a couple of beers on the Monkey Island just before dinner

Its the first time I have driven a Jetboat for ages and was much easier than I remembered once I got my head round that the bow goes the same way as the helm even when going astern.
I am responsible for all Life Saving Apparatus and Fire Fighting Gear on board so the Rescue Boat falls under my remit, so I think I will have to wait for a couple of days to let the sunburn go down and call another training excercise

We are currently operating just off the River Saloum about 75 miles South of Dakar, air temp during the day is 33 - 35 in the shade and for a Scotsman thats bloomin HOT!!!, sea water temp is a barmy 32*C, which is good for when we go swimming in the afternoon after my watch!!

Looking forward to getting home to the UK for a bit of a cooldown and get out on the pac22 to put it through its paces on the Clyde.

Graeme
Old 29 October 2008, 04:15   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A very good friend of mine is from The Gambia so I know that area pretty well - plenty of swamps and millions of little inlets - quite easy to get lost!!!

Looking out for a few smugglers by any chance???
Old 29 October 2008, 12:09   #3

No we dont do that sort of stuff, were not grey funnel line.
The ship im on is an ex cable layer but now we are used as a survey vessel and are doing sea water sampling, I dont have a clue whas its all about myself I just steer the thing and let the bods do their stuff but smugglers would be more fun!!!

Ive got another "training excercise" (ie dicking about session) booked for tomorrow so looking forward to that.
I would love to go in and have a look round the coast and or rivers but we are working mostly between 6 and 12 miles sometimes further off and not allowed that far away from the ship.

Graeme
Old 29 October 2008, 13:01   #4

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
That brings back memories. Used to drive big ships along the West African coast myself - a long time ago. Dakar was our refuelling stop before voyaging south and east and disappearing into the jungles of the Niger delta.

Great to dive off the accommodation ladder into warm clear sea. Funny though, it was always when I was ten feet down at the bottom of the dive that I'd remember all the hammerhead sharks we'd seen before we anchored. . I swear I'd come up so fast I'd land on the second step of the ladder.
Old 29 October 2008, 13:25   #5

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Get yourself a fishing rod or a speargun if your not to bad at snorkelling. Those are great waters for fishing ;-)
Old 29 October 2008, 14:29   #6

I never found sharks to be a problem.Nor in the Red Sea. I think the waters are too warm - Australia and South Africa must have just the right sea temps for them - either that or the accent annoys them - it's rather ironic that the 2 places where shark attacks are most common have very similar accents!!!
Old 30 October 2008, 02:38   #7

Not seen any sharks yet, only a couple of minki whales further out to sea and loads of dolphins and a few baracuda jumping as well, again mostly further out.
Sea water tems here are about 32 degrees and yea we have been doing plenty of swimming and fishing. Ive been jumping off the lifeboat deck a fair few times which is about 40ft above the water, just working myself up to the big jump of the monkey island which is about 65ft up...lol

We have been in Dakar twice now and all I can say is what a hole the place is, smells of death and has beggers everywhere. their fav phrase is "you give me money, you give me money, you help Africa" and they dont take no for an answer even when you show them your pockets are empty they still persist.

We are going to try take the tour over to the Island just at the entrance to Dakar and have a look round he museum where all the africans were fattened up before being shipped out as slave labour, a couple of the lads visited there the last time and said it was ok with a couple of nice beaches and bars,

Graeme
Old 30 October 2008, 07:43   #8

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
Last time I was in Dakar was about 10 months ago, glad to hear it is still a hole have you seen the floating heavy oil in the fuelling dock yet??

There are 2 ways I found worked with the sellers, you can play them at there own game,

1) Tell them u have good things for them and you will give them good price but first ur just off to make urself look pretty 4 them (that really fcuks with there heads and they tend to bugger off )

2) When they ask what do you have for me just say my blessing on you and your family and being very religious people out there it would be seen as a huge insult to turn it down and so they generally just shut up and bugger off.

I was in there for a week last time we were there so long the "officials" were coming round for second bribes......oh sorry they don't take bribes I meant to say presents, slip of the tongue sorry.

Giles
Old 30 October 2008, 11:57   #9

The oil is not just reserved for the fueling dock, but the whole harbour. It was funny coming out of there last time cos we anchored up and went for our daily swim. We noticed the 2 foot high oil slick on the side of the ship, the Old Man was the first back up the ladder and it was hillarious to see the state of his feet with the sticky mess oozing out from beween his toes, the rest of us took a more cautious approach to coming back up the pilot ladder.

Will need to try that one regarding giving them a blessing, we looked up the tinternet and saw that the country was 90% Muslim and normaly a blessing to them and their families his held quite highly so should be fun trying that one

Graeme
Old 30 October 2008, 14:03   #10

Coming from Glasgow it's suprising they can understand a word you say - try speaking proper Glaswegian to them - that should scare them off...........
Old 30 October 2008, 14:16   #11

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Coming from Glasgow it's suprising they can understand a word you say - try speaking proper Glaswegian to them - that should scare them off...........
It'd work for me. I'd have no problem with a Senegalais speaking French but i'd be lost with a Scotsman speaking Glaswegian!