alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Idiots...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIB-Rigid-Infl...QQcmdZViewItem

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a boat. Check out the 2nd picture. Boat planing, kid STANDING on the sea, NO lifejacket in sight in any picture

Then the female. Look's like that's a baby holder thing attached to her, if she goes in, baby is going with her (Presuming there's a baby in there)
Old 26 September 2007, 20:18   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
ok - lets look at this in the real light of day - fareham creek, no chop, good weather, excellent visibility..... the chances and historical data shows you have more chance of winning the lottery than coming a cropper in a rib in fareham creek in good weather......

i bet you a pound a pinch of sh$t that the reason the guy did not go out of the harbour was because he had young kids on board and a new born.....so his decision to go for a pootle up fareham creek, was a good one based on the passengers he had on board...

lets not go over the top - when you clearly have no knowledge of the skipper, his abilities, his passengers abilities or the risk involved in such a bland low risk outing - then i dont think it is appropriate to lambast someone...based on what you see in some pictures......

no doubt you file a passage plan, make everyone wear drysuits, and have epirbs fitted to everyone, and make endless calls on 16 just to make sure you dont get out of radio range............

keep it real......lets no lose the fun of what the ribs are meant to bring.....
most skippers are fairly good at assesing the risk based on the conditions and route to be taken....
Old 26 September 2007, 20:27   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Remember in Ireland wearing lifejackets is now the law - that is what makes people think like this.

I saw a kid the other day riding a bike without a helmet - some busybody actually went over and told off his parents.

Strangely I managed to survive childhood without either lifejackets or helmets - and I even managed to walk to school and cross the road by myself!!!
Old 26 September 2007, 20:49   #4

Town: ireland
Make: lencraft rib
Engine: yamaha 80hp four str
Yes, I would have to agree with Alt.A child has no voice than the adult protecting him or her.I feel that a child should have a PDF without exception because accidents do happen.Is there any logic in disagreeing with that??
Old 26 September 2007, 21:14   #5
Kip

Town: Cork
Boat name: Sugardaddy
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150 4 stroke
[QUOTE=codprawn;220415]
Strangely I managed to survive childhood .....

there is no justice in the world.
Old 26 September 2007, 21:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabe View Post
Yes, I would have to agree with Alt.A child has no voice than the adult protecting him or her.I feel that a child should have a PDF without exception because accidents do happen.Is there any logic in disagreeing with that??

How many kids do you see wearing a lifejacket on the beach - or when they are swimming in the water???
Old 26 September 2007, 21:41   #7
alt

I bet if that kid drowned, you'd probably be the first to say "He wasn't wearing a lifejacket"

Lifejackets save lives, especially children. No way that kid could swim well, he's too small. Imagine if he DID fall overboard (for whatever reason), the wake from the rib alone would probably drown him

As codprawn said, lifejackets are law now here in Ireland, but i've always worn one even before it was law

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
ok - lets look at this in the real light of day - fareham creek, no chop, good weather, excellent visibility..... the chances and historical data shows you have more chance of winning the lottery than coming a cropper in a rib in fareham creek in good weather......

i bet you a pound a pinch of sh$t that the reason the guy did not go out of the harbour was because he had young kids on board and a new born.....so his decision to go for a pootle up fareham creek, was a good one based on the passengers he had on board...

lets not go over the top - when you clearly have no knowledge of the skipper, his abilities, his passengers abilities or the risk involved in such a bland low risk outing - then i dont think it is appropriate to lambast someone...based on what you see in some pictures......

no doubt you file a passage plan, make everyone wear drysuits, and have epirbs fitted to everyone, and make endless calls on 16 just to make sure you dont get out of radio range............

most skippers are fairly good at assesing the risk based on the conditions and route to be taken....
Old 26 September 2007, 21:41   #8

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:

Er, A lifejacket or PFD or whatever you want to call it costs 30 quid for a cheap one. Its just common sense to wear one whilst at sea and I can't see any excuse for not doing so. Especially in the case of a very young child.

I don't mean to harp on about safety but life jackets are pretty much the minimum you should wear on a small boat. If the worst does happen it will give the boats skipper enough time to turn around and drag somebody out of the water before they go under. I don't know Fareham creek but I should imagine its deep enough to lose somebody once they are under the water.

Better to be safe than sorry. Especially if the tragedy could have been avoided following some simple rules.
Old 26 September 2007, 21:45   #9
alt

Quote:

I'm sorry, but taking a picture, while on the plane, and a young kid STANDING on a seat who could easily lose balance and fall overboard.... I don't NEED to question the skippers abilities. My mind is made up.

Christ, i'd tell an adult to cop on and not stand on a SEAT while on the plane, nevermind a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster
I am keeping it real. Taking 30 seconds and a few quid to put a PFD on a kid is NOT taking away from the fun
Old 26 September 2007, 21:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
I don't NEED to question the skippers abilities.
Of course he'll be an expert with hundreds of hours experience !!!!!
Old 26 September 2007, 21:49   #11
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Of course he'll be an expert with hundreds of hours experience !!!!!
I have sent him a link to this thread... hopefully he can answer that question for us
Old 26 September 2007, 21:51   #12

Why has nobody answerd my question about kids on a beach? Surely it's far more dangerous to be messing around in the water - often in the surf - and yet NOBODY wears a lifejacket on a beach.

And yet they are compulsory on boats when the whole idea is NOT to go into the water...........
Old 26 September 2007, 21:51   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I'm sorry, but taking a picture, while on the plane, and a young kid STANDING on a seat who could easily lose balance and fall overboard....

Why are you apologising?
I agree.

I have far scarier pics than that-one guy in a speedboat with 2 10 yearolds dangling their feet next to the outdrive for example.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 21:53   #14
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Why are you apologising?
I agree.

I have far scarier pics than that-one guy in a speedboat with 2 10 yearolds dangling their feet next to the outdrive for example.
Yup remember seeing that, boat was moving too!
Old 26 September 2007, 21:54   #15

Surely it's more important to make sure your kids are good swimmers in the first place than just buy them a lifejacket? I was an excellent swimmer by the age of 7 - putting many adults to shame.

Remember there will be times when your kids are near water without a lifejacket - the ability to swim will always be with them!!!
Old 26 September 2007, 21:57   #16
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Surely it's more important to make sure your kids are good swimmers in the first place than just buy them a lifejacket? I was an excellent swimmer by the age of 7 - putting many adults to shame.

Remember there will be times when your kids are near water without a lifejacket - the ability to swim will always be with them!!!
I was a decent swimmer by the time I was 8, too.

But that kid is YOUNG, too young to be any sort of a decent swimmer. At his age, if he went into the water from that RIB he'd panic and the wake would probably drown him, never mind the fact he wouldn't know what was going on in the first place. At least if he had a PFD he'd just float there while the 'skipper' does his MOB procedure
Old 26 September 2007, 21:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why has nobody answerd my question about kids on a beach? Surely it's far more dangerous to be messing around in the water - often in the surf - and yet NOBODY wears a lifejacket on a beach.

And yet they are compulsory on boats when the whole idea is NOT to go into the water...........
On the popular beaches I've been to, their are lifeguards who provide safety cover and use local knowledge to keep swimmers out of the dangerous currents. Of course they can't be everywhere but they do try.

Its up to parents to make sure the bit of sea they are at is reasonably safe. And that they watch there kids at all times. I did it, although I did find it a struggle as sitting on a nice sunny and warm beach tends to make you drowsy. Its part of being a parent. As we know some parents assess risks differently !!!
Old 26 September 2007, 22:01   #18

Quote:
I was a decent swimmer by the time I was 8, too.

But that kid is YOUNG, too young to be any sort of a decent swimmer. At his age, if he went into the water from that RIB he'd panic and the wake would probably drown him, never mind the fact he wouldn't know what was going on in the first place. At least if he had a PFD he'd just float there while the 'skipper' does his MOB procedure
I was swimming by the time I was 4 - at the age of 5 or 6 I used to sneak off and swim in the sea on my own - used to get a good hammering from my parents but it never stopped me.

To be fair I would have insisted on the kid wearing a lifejacket BUT what about on a ferry - or a walk along a pier or around a marina? There is probably just as much chance of a small kid falling in.
Old 26 September 2007, 22:05   #19

Does anyone realise that there are MORE people drowned each year in their cars than there are in boats? Are you going to bring in a law saying people should wear a lifejacket in a car???
Old 26 September 2007, 22:06   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Yup remember seeing that, boat was moving too!

No you didn't-it's on a print here. I've never scanned it. I took it on the way up the Medina about 4 months ago. I know the one you mean though.

The point is, people think its not going to happen to them.I used to get that attitude from a firm I subbed to until they lost a load on the A346 after the boss said "It'll be okay".

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote