Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Neil
good video but I do not recognise anyone! Give me a shout when you are going up if I am up at tayvallich it would be nice to meet up and have a chat or if time allows a blast together.
Cheers for now
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2010, 14:09   #42

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Polwart, in your research did you find out where the Bothy they were using in the video was? The only one I was aware of on the west side of Jura was Glengarrisdale, but that is painted white. Details of it are on the mountain bothy association website if you are interested.
Old 04 February 2010, 16:37   #43

RIBase
Paul
I like you thought it was the said one but it could be the old schoolhouse at Lowlandmans Bay?
We will get to the bottom of this dont worry!!

Billy
Old 04 February 2010, 19:16   #44

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
The video is one of mine so I can help with the bothy location, it is on Jura but I don't want to post the exact place on an open forum, you don't get many free open bothys so close to the shore and beach , If anyone is serious about staying there PM me and I will give you the location, the last bit of the film was the beach An Dunan south of Lowlandmans bay.
Old 04 February 2010, 21:02   #45

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
The video is one of mine so I can help with the bothy location, it is on Jura but I don't want to post the exact place on an open forum, you don't get many free open bothys so close to the shore and beach , If anyone is serious about staying there PM me and I will give you the location, the last bit of the film was the beach An Dunan south of Lowlandmans bay.
Well at least I was part right, it just looked too familar.
J
I'll pm you
Old 07 February 2010, 09:22   #46
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Polwart, in your research did you find out where the Bothy they were using in the video was? The only one I was aware of on the west side of Jura was Glengarrisdale, but that is painted white. Details of it are on the mountain bothy association website if you are interested.
Puffin I think I know where it was. Zodiacman would be able to confirm for you. If its where I think, its not an MBA maintained bothy, and its on the West Coast of Jura. I understand why Zodiacman doesn't think it should be published too openly - although in reality you'd have to be pretty determined to get there! It also wouldn't take too much googling of bothies on Jura to find it discussed more openly on walking forums etc!
Old 07 February 2010, 09:39   #47
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Neil
good video but I do not recognise anyone! Give me a shout when you are going up if I am up at tayvallich it would be nice to meet up and have a chat or if time allows a blast together.
Cheers for now
Billy
Billy - will do once a plan is in place. I've got to work out what the best plan is for the boat when sleeping ashore...

(a) anchor it
(b) beach it

I think I'd sleep better with it beached, and it would save the worry about how to get ashore/back to the boat etc. But she's too heavy to drag up the beach out the water or put back in the water when the tide goes out. Not only would that restrict us to certain tide times but if its a bit rough she's going to get battered when not quite afloat/dry. Has anyone used rollers successfully with a small rib? http://shop.trident-uk.com/sailing/p...s-PL44641.html

Or do you think that in this part of the world its feasible/practical to set up a temporary running mooring (I think thats what its called) where the boat is say 50m off shore but the anchor to boat rope/chain length is is only say 10m?
Old 07 February 2010, 11:11   #48

RIBase
Polwart I have pmed you re the site. Zman used rollers but they were gang handed and I have never used rollers so cant help you there. A slip mjooring is feasable as long as you watch were you drop it especially on the west of Jura!! I used one for my tender, mas mlong as nthe anchor and chain is ok weight wise and you position it as sheltered as poss it should be ok as there is not much windage on your rib. If you were going with someone flinting and rollers maybe the answer for your sleep!!
Cheers
Billy
Old 07 February 2010, 12:30   #49
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Polwart I have pmed you re the site. Zman used rollers but they were gang handed and I have never used rollers so cant help you there. A slip mjooring is feasable as long as you watch were you drop it especially on the west of Jura!! I used one for my tender, mas mlong as nthe anchor and chain is ok weight wise and you position it as sheltered as poss it should be ok as there is not much windage on your rib. If you were going with someone flinting and rollers maybe the answer for your sleep!!
Cheers
Billy
I think my anchor should be big enough (its bigger than the boat needs) and I'd need to add long shore lines anyway. Both would be 'new' techniques to me so I might need some practice first to see whats feasible. I don't want the West of Jura to be the place that I discover I've not got the technique right - its a long treck to public transport if the boat floats away or I've got it stuck out the water on a spring tide and don't have the muscle to get it back in the water!

Flinting?

For the current plans there will be three of us so physical effort should be not too bad. Three people once just about managed to move it its own length on a sandy beach - with no rollers.
Old 07 February 2010, 13:01   #50

RIBase
Sorry mate real senior moment 'big' fingers!! I meant draging.
Cheers
Billy
ps too many last night!!
Old 09 February 2010, 20:26   #51

Town: morecambe
Boat name: Evolution
Make: Ribeye 550
Engine: 90
Re Craighouse, nice place I agree but last Oct we had a bouncy crossing there from Loch Sween in a south easterley and it was a relief to arrive. We were looking forward to a couple of hours in the hotel, only to discover the nice floating jetty that had been there in the summer was in storage on the shore. The wind direction meant it was too rough to use the fixed jetty so we had to turn round and head straight back. Plenty of floating visitor moorings but we don't carry a tender to get to shore!
Old 09 February 2010, 20:44   #52

RIBase
Hi traveller welcome. Yea the pontoon extention is only there for the ferry that runs between Esater and end Sept. Must have been bad if you could not land at the old jetty, did you try the old ferry pier further round? Pity as there is nothing to beat a quick run over nice lunch coupe of drams at the distillery and back over. Granted at that time of year it can be a bit lumpy!!!!
Cheers for now hope to see you back up next year and may/hopefully bump into you.

J
Old 09 February 2010, 21:00   #53

Thanks for the welcome, I am new to the forum. We have been going to Castle Sween and Tayvallich for about 13 years, last year we had 2 separate weeks in Smithy Cottage. This year we have booked a week at on Luing but might also end up in tayvallich for a few days in the summer.
If the person who started the thread is looking for a deserted beach we found one at the northern tip of Jura, it's in a bay with a small island called Eilean Beag at the entrance and me and my mate went there after going through Corryvreckan. We beached the rib thinking the tide was coming in and after about 15 mins I was wondering why it had not started to float, only to find the tide was actually going out. The rib was well aground but we just managed to turn it through 180 degrees and push it into deeper water. I reckon 5 mins longer and we'd have been there for 12 hours with no phone coverage and worried wives back in Tavy. Later that same week I got round to reading the manual for the chart plotter I'd just fitted, only to find it actually gives tidal info for what ever area you happen to be in.
Old 09 February 2010, 22:18   #54

RIBase
Hi I think I know your boat as my family own the wee barn next door and I saw your rib this year. I have the yellow and black ribcraft 'Breawatch' that is moored of the carrick pier. When you going up give me a shout as we also have a caravan on Leachive.

Billy
Old 09 February 2010, 23:01   #55
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
my family own the wee barn.
ooh - small world my parents stayed there 2 yrs ago, and a colleage stayed there a year ago!
Old 10 February 2010, 19:24   #56

RIBase
neil
where do you stay when your in the village??
Billy
Old 10 February 2010, 19:58   #57
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
neil
where do you stay when your in the village??
Billy
I think we've stayed 3 times at "the Steadings" - which is about 1/2 way between Tayvallich and Carsaig. I think that would still be our first choice (just because we know it, like Jim and Ulla and think its pretty well located) and it suits our family size with whichever hangers on we bring to help with babysitting etc; but we may end up looking for a bigger pad next time and come as two families.

Not sure if we'll be there for a week this year - but I'm certain we'll be back again as a family.
Old 10 February 2010, 22:07   #58

Yes it is a small world. Jambo do you rent the caravan out?
Old 10 February 2010, 22:11   #59

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller022 View Post
If the person who started the thread is looking for a deserted beach we found one at the northern tip of Jura, it's in a bay with a small island called Eilean Beag at the entrance and me and my mate went there after going through Corryvreckan.
That sounds like the bay of pigs at the west side of the corry, had a few picnics in there over the years.
Nice spot and you can get a few inquisitive deer wondering what you are up to....
Old 10 February 2010, 22:14   #60

RIBase
Neil, yea know the Steadings well. Hope to seee you when next your up.

Traveller, no we dont against the rules but the owner of the site does he has about 4 he hires out if you were wanting to do so let me know and I will make enquires for you.
Billy