Old 28 May 2002, 21:41   #1
Groupie

Town: In my bed in Cardiff
Make: Still dreaming
Length: Definately dreaming
Engine: Dream size
Ideas for funds for SOC

Hi all,
Decided to open a new thread - this is for any ideas anyone has to raise funds for the SOC - be it bizzare, be it whacky, be it a little bit tacky - if you think of it, spare a wink and let me know.

Shakespear I am not, a mere volunteer for a little boat.
Some ideas are needed, I know you got them - put them on here and let's see what we can do.

Right, I am off - my head!

Let's see what this thread comes up with..... and keep it clean, unless it can raise loads of cash!

"Just add water / liquid to have fun"

Counting the days of the ~SOC~ trip.
Nadia Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2002, 07:06   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Hello there

I thought of a few money raising ideas and here they are. Just in Bullet point form I'll flesh them out if any are of interest

Big Prize raffle. Limit entry to 400 tickets at a tenner a time, make sure there are proper prizes. an auxillary outboard For example A powerboat traing course, a day on a rib, aa hifi. stuff like that. Get 20 Volunteers to sell 20 tickets and you have 4 grand. If you need a hand a roping in the prizes feel free to talk to my nasty wife.

Rag magazine, if you are interested we can produce a Funny rag magazine basee on the SOC. could call it the Travels of SOCopholes. I did one for Comic relief and made about just under a grand.

Skill swapshop

Rib Meets we set up Local meetings around the country. and we all turn up with our Ribs. we bung 25 quid each in to the SOC fund and everybody can drive everybody evryones Ribs. RIB, subject to promises not to exceed rev limits, crash in to Bouys etc.. Also the driver pays for fuel on the boat they are driving

Advertorial. I paid a fair bit of money to walk around with a sweatshirt with the South Wales Echo logo printed on it and now I want revenge. You know when a new resaurant or business opens they have a spread in the paper about the venture and it is surrounded by well wishing advertisers.....Do the same thing for Spirit adn get the echo to give you a piece of the action of the adverts. Again I refer you to my Nasty wife cos she used to do this for a living.

Competition to guess what Keith (intesting ) Hart differnt form of entertainament is. Cost 2 quid to enter and everybody has a larf.

Comdedy subscriptions
For everybody who buys more than 4 miles in the next two weeks , I will send a very funny e mail joke everyday fo 4 weeks. I've got enough to lst a long time.

Round Ireland challenge
RIB International have got over seventy entrants for the round Ireland Challenge, contact them and ask them to forward an e amil to each of them asking for 25 quid. get Mike Garside to write it and it should bring loads of money in.

This weeks speciaL OFFER .
for the duration of the World cup I will hire my home cinema system, Projector Computer Playstation.Amp 7 speakers and screen for 200 quid, which is less tha it cost's per day (it is worth about 12 k. normal insurances and guarentees would be needed. Implementation would be free but I would want my travelling expenses paid.

Boat hire

I have two baots a Camel (wavehumper) and my awesome little Avon (exlax). I am prepared to charter them to a responsible adult for a 150 and 60 quid SOC donation exclusive of fuel for a day in the Solent.in July

If this rings any bells let me know what you want me to do

Good luck
Stuat

Rag magazine.......
Old 30 May 2002, 17:17   #3

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi All

In line with the suggstions above, Jono and I would like to make the following offer.

We are starting an RYA recognised Powerboat School at Pwllheli, North Wales. This should be up and running by the end of July.

We can offer - to the highest bidder - a Powerboat Level 2 course, with Coastal Endorsement (2 days) - to be taken on a weekend in August / September this year. This course also qualifies the person to apply for their ICC license.

Also, any courses booked and paid for in June that mention SOC will receive a £20 per person discount, which we will donate to the SOC fund.

Hope this helps.

Graeme & Jono
Old 30 May 2002, 17:28   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Good men! Let's hope thisis the first offer of many
Cheers
Old 30 May 2002, 20:15   #5

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Go on Graham i will start the biding

Lets start at 100 quid.

I hope i get the bargain of the year, so come on folks I never get a bargain so bid higher !!.

Regards Gary
Old 31 May 2002, 22:33   #6

Nadia

When shall we keep this running until, bearing in mind you need the money soon?

Graeme
Old 05 June 2002, 20:12   #7
Groupie

Great offers and ideas here guys.
sorry I have been a bit quiet - but I am ready to rock and roll again - but i haven't got the snazzy music box like the guys on the SOC got!!!

From the end:
Highest bidder for the course:
do you want to put a deadline date on it?
What about the :
hm SOC got 34 stops before they can come back into a Cardiff pub, counting the way out and the way in.
divide by two - lets say the 17th June - That is monday week,
I can only suggest.

Re the other courses and donating money to the SOC fund - great, that I can leave up to you Greame and Jono.

Re the mag, the raffle the other ideas.
Great.
Raffle definately yes

What about people emaiing me directly with prizes for donation?
Once I got a couple we can start shouting out about the raffle tickets - I reckon the draw could be made when the guys get back but tickets sold really from soon onwards.

Mag - any ideas? You wanna do this Stuart - I could come up with a few funny stories about the guys - oh, I was going to save those for my book "The life of a SOC volunteer groupie"

Seriously, a little A5 mag?

Speak soon.
cheers guys and gals on behalf of the crew.

(I know it would be a Psion nightmare for them to go through the forum threads)

Old 09 June 2002, 07:34   #8

I think we do have to put a deadline on the offer, otherwise it would just go on forever.

I think that we will close the offer for the Level 2 Course Monday 17th June. The Highest bidder will then be contacted e payment to the SOC fund etc.

We will also continue to offer to donate £20 per head for any courses booked and paid for in June.

So - anyone out there want a cut price Level 2 - or to help out the SOC fund by booking their courses with us in June - go for it.

Graeme
Old 14 June 2002, 22:27   #9

Any more takers for the PBII Course - closing date is Monday 17th - get your bids in to help the SOC fund - and get yourself a cheap course
Old 18 June 2002, 13:00   #10
Groupie

Any news re the course bookings G?