Old 06 August 2003, 21:20   #1

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
I thought looking at buying a 7.5 with a yamaha 300 was silly!!!

So there I am pricing up a Prosport 7.5 Offshore with a 300 Yamaha HPDI, thinkin it would be the dog gonads, although silly it would be worth it.

Then I stroll along this !!!
http://www.fbdesign.it/pagine/project55.htm

55ft RIB with 2 1300hp engines!!! Only FB would do such a thing, makes the 7.5 look like a baby that is seriously under powered!!

Then again I would like to see the face of my finance manager when I tried to explain how much it would be

Lee
Old 06 August 2003, 22:33   #2

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Hi Lee,

I don't think that a 7.5 mtr with a 300 HPDI is remotely silly!

I am seriously considering a Ribcraft 7.8 with this engine.

Why? Because it is the same cylinder block and is within 2 kg of the weight of a 225 Vmax. What is the point in thrashing a 225, when a 300 will do the same thing with ease, but can provide some "real performance" on top?

Or have I missed something ???

Regards,

Chris.
Old 06 August 2003, 23:20   #3

Dear Chris

Ok sorry perhaps 'silly' wasn't the correct word to use in this context. The aim of this topic was to point out that what you and I would consider a 'Performance RIB' is dwafed in many ways figurativly by FB's latest project. Such is true FB style the figures for this craft are by all acounts out-of-the-norm, which is the point I was trying to make.

But on a different topic.

I was looking at a ProSport 7.5 Offshore, they advertise them with the following packages
- 7.5 Evinrude Ficht 200 £17750
- 7.5 Evinrude Ficht 225 £18950
- 7.5 Evinrude Ficht 250 £19600

With the basic boat costing £8,500

But not being a FITCH lover I would rather a different manufacturer. They recommend a 200 for the 7.5, but it can take a 300. So if possible I would like a 300 because you can have not enough power, but you can never have too much.

The HPDI seems to be the favourite at the moment, but I am thinking of going for a 250 as they are much more common in terms of manufactures making them at present.

But why Prosport, because they are local. And I've been in Ribcrafts, Scorpions, Tornados Humber etc. So i've sampled most of the big manufacturers and the cost difference does not justify the difference in performance and build. Which are both above average on the Prosport's I've seen.

Add to that they are small and very versitile. Last weekend I was there and in the workshop they had a cabin rib being built. I cannot remember if it was a 8 or 9, but they dont advertise making a cabin RIB. But that is what the customer wanted, so that is what he gets. So you can be very detailed about how you want it.

Or I can scrap the whole big fast RIB idea, and go for a desel Views gratefully accepted

Lee
Old 07 August 2003, 07:35   #4

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
TW if you're not in a hurry PM me!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2003, 12:18   #5

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally posted by -<=[Tw18]=>-
Or I can scrap the whole big fast RIB idea, and go for a desel Views gratefully accepted
Go for the Diesel, I have one for sale
I have had ribs with both 2 strokes and 4's and although the 4 were much much better on fuel the are nothing compared to a diesel.
I know many people will argue that the initial cost of the oil burner doesnt warrant it unless you are burning loads of fuel but it makes me sooooo much happier when after a days cruising at 24knts I only have to spend about £10-15 compared to around £100 wth the 2 strokes or £60 with the 4's.
I would never now go back to petrols, well not until petrol comes down to 19p per ltr
Andy Gee
Old 07 August 2003, 17:44   #6

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Evinrude

Quote:
But not being a FITCH lover I would rather a different manufacturer.
There is a difference between the Fichts.The 2001 upwards Fichts are correctly called Ficht Rams, The Ram is the important bit, it is a modification fitted to them to help spread the fuel mist and reduce fouling of plugs and hot spots.What I would say to you is this, Evinrudes Direct injection Ficht Rams, are amazing engines.We run a pair of them both Ficht Rams, serviced correctly, plugs anodes, indexing and gear oil.I have been in two places in the last month where 225 FICHT RAMS were being fitted to ribs, Redbay and Western Marine.I have only last weekend watched 2 ribs equally horsepowered 1 225 four stroke and 1 225 Ficht Ram, and the Evinrude just kept going as if the other one was stopped.Ficht Rams Direct Injection two strokes are extremly efficient on fuel our 2x75 hp can produce 1.25nm for 1 litre thats with two motors.I accecpt that there was one or two earlier modles of Evinrude that gave problems, it has now been sorted, Ficht Rams have superceeded these and now the company comes under the umbrella of Bombardier a huge multinational with a big reputation.The next generation of Evinrudes are still all about Direct Injection, its down to choice however, no matter how good 2 stroke injection is on fuel it wont beat a 225 yam 4 stroke on fuel consumption, but I wouldnt necessarly shy away from the big RUDES.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2003, 05:58   #7

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Re: Evinrude

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
QUOTE , Ficht Rams have superceeded these and now the company comes under the umbrella of Bombardier a huge multinational with a big reputation.
yes indeed, a huge multinational that is at present looking at various ways to ditch the "marine" division, having wasted so much money on buying the Evinrude/Johnson setup.
Old 08 August 2003, 19:22   #8

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
ORACLE

Companies change direction,sell sections all very normal,you obviously have a good insight into Bombardier policy and ,policy decisions, as for wasting their money I doubt it, they arnt ditching their marine section by any stretch, but selling the recreational section of the company, because now it is worth money, as it is succesful, has the reputation etc this includes, pwc, all terrain vechicles, snowmobiles,sports boats, not just OMC why not read the press release from last April http://www.bassresource.com/news/bom..._evinrude.html
For an independant view on the sale look
here, such is the confidence in the recreational section a consortimuim from the Bombardier family is trying to raise the 80% they need to buy the section for sale,
http://www.soundingsonline.com/stories.html?story=5
there is nothing contrived here just profit my friend they bought from bankrupt OMC the business for 50 million dollars their new sale price for the recreational section 1.5 billion , its all about profit and thats what makes the world go round. cheers gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2003, 21:57   #9

Or I can scrap the whole big fast RIB idea, and go for a desel Views gratefully accep

Lee,

Point taken re. relative performance!

Seeing you are in Jersey, doesn't that make petrol a pretty good option?

I hope so, as - when I get my new boat (still some way off, I'm afraid) - I was hoping to visit Jersey (and the "other" island, to pick up some of your sensibly priced petrol.

Best wishes,

Chris.
Old 08 August 2003, 22:09   #10

Dear Chris,

What you mean, i was well ticked off last weekend when I found they had put the petrol up 3ppl to 43pl!!! Which meant it cost me £38.60 to fill my 90l's as opposed to £36 before

But then again it is all relative so when it costs me £25 to get to guernsey and back, and my mate in his 6.5 Tohatsu desial 'One Design' says he's been to guernsey, up to alderney, down to sark and the long way back around the east coast of the islands and it cost him £12 (albeight tractor desiel *cough**cough* ) you do ponder.

But his desiel although bigger than my boat is alot slower. And for what he paid for that I could get a ncie petrol powered RIB

Lee
Old 14 August 2003, 17:17   #11

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Hi Lee,

You could also consider glueing a pair of Opti 150's on the back of your Prosport. They are a very good and cost effective engine with confusingly good economy......anda lot of whoomph!

As your sea is fairly nasty it makes sense to have the contingency a dual setup could bring .

regards
Stuart
Old 14 August 2003, 21:02   #12

I found they had put the petrol up 3ppl to 43pl!!!

Outrageous !!!

If only ... !

Another thought, Lee: Do you know if the Channel Islands are likely to be sucked into the diesel price hikes that might be coming to the "mainland" in 2006?

If not and the boat is large enough, I guess it would be worth considering.

I had the good fortune to join Richard B on "Blue Ice" last weekend, when "Spirit of Portsmouth" returned. It was interesting to see how the 8.5 mtr boats handled the "chop" created by 30 or more RIBs cruising up the Solent. The 7.5s seemed to do pretty well too!

If an 8.5'ish boat is viable, I think it should allow you to put a more substantial diesel on the boat. Although this would obviously add to the overall weight, relative to a large petrol outboard, I imagine that you would get good performance from a 300HP+ and the weight would be well distributed, low down in the boat.

No doubt there are many people on RIBnet who could verify my comments, based on experience of their own boats.

Good luck with your choice!

Regards,

Chris.
Old 19 August 2003, 18:34   #13

Town: Stockholm
Make: Osprey Falcon
Length: 8,2m
Engine: 2 X 250HPDI Yamaha
300 HPDI

Just for info;

You can`t find any 300 HPDI with long shaft, only XL and UL shafts, wich means that you will need a bracket or install the engine very very high.
I think the 300 HPDI will be better as a doubble installation on a bigger rib than 7,8m.
An recomandation is to look at the 250 VMAX HPDI wich gives 274 hp and have a nicer design.
Good luck.
Regards
Petrov
Old 20 August 2003, 10:41   #14

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
where are prosport?? im possibly looking at a similar rib also

ps whats the biggest 4stroke outboard?? is that not viable?
Old 20 August 2003, 13:52   #15

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Set Up

Lee

A nice boat set up if you dont want to go to over the top would be a 7.5 or 8.1 Mtr scorpion rib with the Yamaha 165 Turbo diesel, this would be very cheap to run and give you a reasonable turn of speed, of course if you wanted a bit more just drop the 245 Yam in.

Julian
Old 20 August 2003, 14:30   #16

Re: Set Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
Lee

A nice boat set up if you dont want to go to over the top would be a 7.5 or 8.1 Mtr scorpion rib with the Yamaha 165 Turbo diesel, this would be very cheap to run and give you a reasonable turn of speed, of course if you wanted a bit more just drop the 245 Yam in.

Julian
ideally second hand is my idea, but you trying finding a decent, large diesel!! There are like rocking horse's dung!!!

And the budget was about 20k, which means most manufactures are offering 6.5 with diesel's about that price
Old 20 August 2003, 20:35   #17

You can`t find any 300 HPDI with long shaft, only XL and UL shafts

Hi Janis,

I think what you say about the 300 HPDI is correct, but now the 300 HPDI Vmax is out and appears to be only available in a long-shaft (20") version. See the "Hotsheet" that can be selected from the link below

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...04_hs_home.htm

Exciting stuff !!!

Best wishes,

Chris.
Old 25 August 2003, 21:16   #18

Make: Osprey Falcon
Length: 8,2m
Engine: 2 X 250HPDI Yamaha
Hi Chris;

Olala, that`s a nice engine.
Sorry for not getting back, had a crash on my computer.
I have to go for that one on my next boat, ha ha.
Thank`s for info.
Regards

Janis
Old 26 August 2003, 07:49   #19

Town: Gothenburg
Boat name: Diventure X
Make: Ribcraft 850 SC
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Send a message via Skype™ to mattiasb
Quote:
Originally posted by gtflash
where are prosport?? im possibly looking at a similar rib also

ps whats the biggest 4stroke outboard?? is that not viable?
Suzuki's putting out a new 4-stroke 250 hp shortly, the resumes has been xlnt to say the least.

RGDS
Matt

Braåhaprylar.com
mattiasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2003, 15:53   #20

Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Olą Matt;

Heard about that, hows it going with sell of the boat.

Regards

Petrov