Old 22 June 2019, 15:22   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
I think you can go too Big

We hired a 7 m rib in Skiathos with 4 of us on board and went round the Island one side was very calm but the other a little rough the rib handelled it very well but not once did we feel a splash of water and I (helming) felt a long way from and somewhat disconnected from the sea

While we had a lovely day and would do it again I felt that the 7 m ish RIB seemed to me to be too big to have fun

My main Rib is only 4.5 m with a 60 on the back and I feel very connected whenever out in that boat.

This set me thinking if Bigger is generally better

The Rib was a Greek make so no idea how it translates and topped out at 32 knots
Old 22 June 2019, 16:02   #2

Town: Dublin
Length: 5m +
I have have all sizes of ribs, I have a ribeye s650 which is perfect for island hopping on the west coast of Ireland. I have just purchased a 8.5m rib with twin outboards and have to say it’s in another league altogether. I’d say the fact you felt disconnected from the sea was probably the vessel you were in and not caused actually by the size
Old 22 June 2019, 18:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Its not that the boat gets too big, the journey just gets too small! You need to scale the distance, the type of waters and the weather to the craft you are in. Or to look at it another way a bigger craft opens up opportunities you wouldn't otherwise consider - like going further, or going in conditions you wouldn't in a small boat.

Obviously it also opens the possibility of bringing along more people - although personally I'm not sure that's always a bonus!
Old 22 June 2019, 20:24   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Its not that the boat gets too big, the journey just gets too small! You need to scale the distance, the type of waters and the weather to the craft you are in. Or to look at it another way a bigger craft opens up opportunities you wouldn't otherwise consider - like going further, or going in conditions you wouldn't in a small boat.

Obviously it also opens the possibility of bringing along more people - although personally I'm not sure that's always a bonus!
I'd agree...it's all down to what you want from a RIB...and how many passengers you have/ wish to carry on a regular basis.
The fun factor is not diminished either way IMO...but it remains the case that from smaller craft MOST people move up in size ...rather than the same size or go smaller when they up grade.
Nice change not getting too wet as well eh!?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 20:36   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I've had many boats and been in many, ribs from 3.5 m to 10 m plus Dorys fast fishers over the years the most fun I've had is in the 4 m sib and taking it slow close in to shore I won't be going big again OMO
Old 22 June 2019, 21:13   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post

While we had a lovely day and would do it again I felt that the 7 m ish RIB seemed to me to be too big to have fun
'Cos this was no fun: http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/island-...tml#post797286

Old 23 June 2019, 08:22   #7

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

+1

It’s all relative, small craft do have limitations but I agree are great fun, larger boats inherently cost more to run / purchase but open up long distance opportunities and comfort! I guess whatever floats your boat........( sorry )
Old 23 June 2019, 15:58   #8

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Went this year through the same thing .
Started years ago with a 5.4 and took it Round Ireland - lots of fun [emoji106] Regardless of the great sea handling capabilities the SR let me feel & fight each wave .
Went then to a 7.2 Vipermax - a beautiful and fast boat .
After 6 years in the Vipermax and a few thousand meiles of long distance cruising I went at the beginning of this year for a 8.1 diesel Scorpion .
Beside of 2 trips in the Solent I took the boat for a week to Easdale in May and it felt almost "boring" at 25-27kn cruising speed . While the 4.7s collected plenty of air meiles the Scorpion hardly let me feel the sea .
Just recently we went from Southampton across the channel , along the Normandy beaches and back to the UK . The Scorpion feels great but is a different league than the previous boats I owned .
The 5.4 and even the 7.2 felt really very "lively" while the 8.1 Scorpion just goes through everything what is in front of her .
I am not even getting showered anymore - what a difference !
The comfort zone is pushed out much more with that boat which gives on long distance trips more comfort and safety as well .
Old 23 June 2019, 17:39   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
This set me thinking if Bigger is generally better

Not necessarily [emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 14:28   #10

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Not necessarily [emoji6]
True..........but most of the time

We went from a 6.5m to a 8m RIB, the difference was amazing for many reasons, we'd never go back to a smaller boat, in fact I'd consider up-sizing next time
Might be a age thing? As a nipper in my teens and upwards I could only afford a smaller boat - inc a Ring 20 running a 280hp, fun but no comfort in any sea and limited usability, now I enjoy the social side more, the space and sea keeping for longer trips, kids and there associated baggage also make you re-think the logistics
Old 24 June 2019, 17:10   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I've had many boats and been in many, ribs from 3.5 m to 10 m plus Dorys fast fishers over the years the most fun I've had is in the 4 m sib and taking it slow close in to shore I won't be going big again OMO
I with you Jeff.. I find the smaller boats more exciting than bigger boats..but then Im not into boating for comfort, safety or staying dry. I get my kicks from small boats by pushing them to the limits and also by feeling at one with the environment that I am boating in.

However I appreciate everyone is different in their comfort zones and what they want from a boat .. so I dont think there is a perfect size that suits everyone.
Old 24 June 2019, 17:20   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Glad you replyed to this Donny I was beginning to think at 65 I was a nutter in a sub 4 m sib reading these lads going to upgrade from 7 m boats for more comfort unless we're hard as nails
Old 24 June 2019, 17:36   #13

I fear also there might be an ego thing involved as in mine is bigger than yours seems to be important to some
Old 24 June 2019, 18:03   #14

Jeff..I can say in all honesty..I have been at sea every second day since the end of March. Im just back from another week on Mull .. this week alone I had three attempts to round Iona before I finally made it. The two aborted attempts were because of 2 m waves in the confused races only 50 meters off the exposed side of the island. I was in my 2.75 m F Rib and I had more fun this week than any other this year. Why would I want a bigger boat (and the mortgage to go with it?)

Winds averages 15-25 mph for three days. One day was 25-30 mph and very heavy rain so I stayed ashore and walked the coast line to the biggest cave in the Hebrides that day. Two days were perfect. I went by the wee 2.75 Frib to Ulva, Gometra, Eorsa and Iona in the windy days and Balfours Bay and the south of the Ross of Mull in the good days. Did I get wet at all ? No ..I had my dry suit on.

I will publish a video box set soon to prove my words. I had set myself a challenge..to get the most out of 20 litres of fuel that one of the fast RIB guys kindly gave me three weeks previously. I came back with 2 litres after 6 full days boating.

Why would I want a big boat when I do that kind of thing all summer from March to November ?

Big Plumbs ..you may be right.. I could be on an ego trip bumming about my way of life ..which is perfect for me
Old 24 June 2019, 19:58   #15

Donny

You would never be on an ego trip

You have some of the smallest boasts on here but in my view you have the most fun and get so much from your boating

An inspiration as always
Old 24 June 2019, 20:56   #16

I guess its an age thing then BP..Im 64 years old and live on a small work pension that is less than the minimum national living wage … as Im not old enough for a state pension yet.

However dont feel sorry for me as I choose to live that way. I have a stress free life and all the time in the world to follow my love of the sea .. which is very wet...and bumpy. That is what I love about it.. I dont want it to be a comfortable environment ...I want it to be as it really is. If that makes sense to some.

For me..life is about adventuring ..the boats … like other materialistic possessions are only a tool to do it...nothing more ..and nothing less. My only requirement of it is that it does not cause me stress or worry. I fear that a large expensive boat would give me too much worry.I do enjoy being on them but its totally different from my idea of boating.

That just me though..as I mentioned earlier..everyone is different in what they want from life. The only thing common to everyone ... is that one day it will all be over. So don't get too hung up on it
Old 24 June 2019, 21:11   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I guess its an age thing then BP..Im 64 years old and live on a small work pension that is less than the minimum national living wage … as Im not old enough for a state pension yet.

However dont feel sorry for me as I choose to live that way. I have a stress free life and all the time in the world to follow my love of the sea .. which is very wet...and bumpy. That is what I love about it.. I dont want it to be a comfortable environment ...I want it to be as it really is. If that makes sense to some.

For me..life is about adventuring ..the boats … like other materialistic possessions are only a tool to do it...nothing more ..and nothing less. My only requirement of it is that it does not cause me stress or worry. I fear that a large expensive boat would give me too much worry.I do enjoy being on them but its totally different from my idea of boating.

That just me though..as I mentioned earlier..everyone is different in what they want from life. The only thing common to everyone ... is that one day it will all be over. So don't get too hung up on it

[emoji106]one day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 21:40   #18

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Donny

You would never be on an ego trip

You have some of the smallest boasts on here but in my view you have the most fun and get so much from your boating

An inspiration as always
Absolutely agree, not only do you get so much from your trips but you are kind enough to share them with those who don't have the time / opportunity or ethos to do what you do and enjoy so much.

More than that you clearly demonstrate you not need big boats and budgets to have fantastic experiences on the water

LT
Old 24 June 2019, 22:37   #19

Length: 6m +
Would be a very boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing. I'm thinking I need a wee SIB to go with the RIB. Best of both worlds.
Old 25 June 2019, 05:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
Would be a very boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing. I'm thinking I need a wee SIB to go with the RIB. Best of both worlds.
Exactly get yourself a honwave T38 with a 20 or 15 ha on and you will have some very different fun