Keith Hart
Old 30 August 2004, 05:54   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Hi Keith, I totally aggree they should be banned,they are an accident waiting to happen.
Old 30 August 2004, 07:17   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Rogers
Hi Keith, I totally aggree they should be banned,they are an accident waiting to happen.

...and whilst they're at it, why not ban swimming, after all, more swimmers get into difficulties than "floaty toy" people? Oh, and why not ban sunbathers? We know people die from skin cancer. In fact let's just stop people going to the sea-side at all......
Old 30 August 2004, 09:14   #4

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Ban it yeah right way to go.....Thomas Hamilton...Dunblane....Feel a lot safer now that there are no handguns at all in circulation!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 09:27   #5

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
interesting to see if there were any RLSS/RNLI Lifeguards on the said beaches
inflateable toys are the biggest pain in the backside, for beach lifeguards especially in offshore winds, unfortunately some councils will provide only minimum cover / equipment so they comply with the blue flag award, the Isle of Wight is one of those that provides Lifeguards at Sandown Shanklin and Ryde, th equipment is a surf ski at two beaches and a quad at another, if you go to Poole you will see RLSS and RNLI Lifeguards working side by side and the equipment is far superior, ie jetski's arancia inflateables shore patrols
spread alonfg the beach and all controlled by a control centre superb set up,one of the safest beaches in the country
regardsTim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 30 August 2004, 09:39   #6

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
If they ban them the SIB brigade wont be allowed at Skegness !!!

On a serious note if they sold a peice of rope and an Anchor/Weight with these inflatable toys they would be allot safer!

Jono's a bit touchy on this subject as he often likes to play in his toy inflatable canoe of the north wales coast (Lucky the prevailing winds are SW), but jo allways makes sure he's got his arm bands on and a safety line attached.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:15   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Thank god I am not the only one who hates the nanny state and banning things - loved the comments about guns - funny how when they banned handguns crime with them went up!

As to these little inflatables people should use some common sense - if they don't have any then the Darwin laws will get them sooner or later!!!
Old 30 August 2004, 12:22   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Decisions driven by emotion rather that reason. It's a British disease.
Old 30 August 2004, 14:40   #9

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
A man died 10 days ago after drifting out to sea on a dinghy near Ingoldmells and trying to swim back.
Don't people know that the safest place to be when you are in danger at sea is on your boat and NOT in the water?
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 17:05   #10

No people just never learn - they would rather try to swim ashore in raging seas than stay on an island when they get cut off by the tide!

Surely grass growing above high water mark would be an indication they are not going to drown!!!
Old 31 August 2004, 07:01   #11

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi folks

Let me make it clear that I'm VERY MUCH against the council's idea of banning 'inflatables'. My point is that the PRAT in question could spoil it for all of us.

My SIB would certainly be banned and how would a ban on 'inflatables' affect Rigid INFLATABLE Boats?

Ban the IDIOTIC PRAT - not the rest of us.

Keith Hart
Old 31 August 2004, 08:40   #12

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
IMHO they should ban any one who does not have a power boat licence by the RYA or a recognised by the RYA body.
As a matter of fact there should be a law that if one does not have a licence to drive a boat by a recognised EU or UK body he/she should not be allowed to buy a boat of any shape including these jet things etc.
In that way one can avoid or at least minimise stupid accidents and also minimise wasting public funds and last BUT NOT LEAST minimise endangering other peoples lives IMHO of course
Old 31 August 2004, 16:23   #13

Town: Rochester, Kent
Boat name: Circe
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp petrol
I agree, but unfortunately the RYA doesn't. Their policy is education not legislation.

I find it amazing that pleasure boating is about the only form of transport where you do not have to undergo any formal training before being let loose on the unsuspecting public.
Old 31 August 2004, 16:28   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Quote:
John Gore I agree, but unfortunately the RYA doesn't. Their policy is education not legislation.

I then agree with the RYA

Quote:
I find it amazing that pleasure boating is about the only form of transport where you do not have to undergo any formal training before being let loose on the unsuspecting public.
and long may it be the case
Old 31 August 2004, 16:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
and long may it be the case
....and I suppose it doesn't matter how may die or are injured in the meantime
Old 31 August 2004, 16:53   #16

Town: Rochester, Kent
Boat name: Circe
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp petrol
As an Advanced Instructor I spend a lot of time teaching people to handle their boats responsibly. However, it's not those who want training who I'm objecting to, its those who don't even bother to be trained.

Without a form of licensing for boat users there will never be any effective means to get them trained, and they will continue to go out in unsafe conditions, putting themselves and others at risk.
Old 31 August 2004, 17:31   #17

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gore
Their policy is education not legislation.
Insurance companies will drive this before anyone else.

Isnt it funny how you can drive a boat without a license but you cant use a vhf without one?? Where's the logic in that !

I agree with the rya - on the other hand i';m sitting here looking out of my office window and its low springs. 6 out of the last 8 people to recover their boat have dropped their trailers over the end of the slipway. 7 out of 10 boats that launch here don't have life jackets.

May be it shoule be law to wear a life jacket and carry safety equipment, praps even an mot.
Old 31 August 2004, 19:08   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Like all good lies, there is an element of truth in it. Of course, no one wants anybody killed or injured boating. But you can’t take risk out of the whole of life. To take two extremes of example:
You can get killed crossing the road, kayaking, surfing, diving, rock climbing and mountain trekking. None of these activities require a license and although training is ultra-desirable in all these pastimes, no one makes you take a test or have formal training. Might be interesting to compare the number of diver deaths per 1000 divers versus amateur boaters ditto.
At the other end of the spectrum, where do you stop? Must you have a license to buy a wetbike? A rib? A yacht tender? A canoe? A towable ring? A surfboard? Who will administer all things? Who will enforce the rules? How much will it all cost? And what will be the consequences of all this for the marine industry and our leisure? In Germany you have to sit an examination that is every bit as exacting as an A-Level if you wish to get a permit to go fishing (angling). How big do you think that sport is in Germany compared to the UK?
If wetbikers are breaking the rules, let the local authorities hammer them. Let us exert peer-pressure on all those who shirk proper training and are acting in a foolhardy way.
Even if everyone is eventually licensed to death, do you really think there wont be any more plonkers out there? The vast majority of marine accidents that I read about are actually caused by highly trained, commercial, professionals anyway. Did any of YOU run aground on that cargo ship that sunk last year with all those luxury cars on board off Belgium?
Old 31 August 2004, 19:15   #19

I hate any form of law that is intended to protect people from their own sheer stupidity!

Just like the seatbelt law in cars - I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for my seatbelt but I wasn't wearing one because the law told me to! I ADVISE my front seat passenger to wear a seatbelt - I MAKE a rear passenger sitting behind me wear one!

Same with motorbikes and crash helmets.

When i finally get my RIB I will insist on kids wearing lifejackets but as to the adults if they choose to ignore my advice that's their problem.
Old 31 August 2004, 19:25   #20

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
....and I suppose it doesn't matter how may die or are injured in the meantime
Just to add to the debate. You don't have to be licensed to divein the UK! However ther are more incidents of divers being rescued than people in their "garage inflatables".

Just my thoughts