Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 April 2007, 14:29   #1

Town: Ipswich
Length: no boat
I gotta few general questions...

Ok, i didnt know where to put this stuff.

1. So, in order for me to take a RIB and drive it around the coast or some other stretch of water is all I need (apart from launching permits etc) a Level 1 Power Boat Course Certificate under my belt?

2. What is a good reliable beginners RIB?

3. What fuel do RIBs use, i know about marine fuel, but otherwise do you buy your petrol from ordinary garages?

4. Apart from flares, what is the most basic equipment you should always have in your boat?

5. How hard is it really to connect a wheel to an outboard RIB engine so I wouldnt have to use a tiller?

6. Do RIBs requireany basic insurance by law?

7. What kind of price should I be expecting to pay for a second-hand 3-4m RIBwith engine and in reasonable condition?

8. Is there a legal minimum age for driving a RIB unaccompanied in public waters, ie around the coast or on a river?

Well thats a few questions off my chest. Thanks in advance, Jonathan.
Old 15 April 2007, 15:35   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Welcome to ribnet, Jonathan.

Your questions are fair and basic, so basic that I searched for the answers in one place and couldnt find them. Maybe there ought to be a "How to get started" or similar.
One place where you will find some of the answers is in the Archive section under Frequently asked questions.
I hope this helps, but is more like a starter for 10 for a bonus of 15.

But for what it is worth, here are my two pennies worth.

1. You dont even need a PBL 1 certificate. Ribbing is free!! But it is a bloody good idea to get one!
2. Dunno
3. Most ribs use petrol. Normal petrol. 2-strokes need an oil to be added (check your engines manual). Big ribs use diesel (if they have a diesel engine). You can buy diesel or petrol from a garage or, from certain marinas. Where you buy it depends on price and availability.
4. "Experts" and others would have you believe you need so much safety equipment, your boat would sink under its weight.
To start with a small 4m-ish boat; a VHF radio and a compass. But dont go out of sight of land and dont go out when fog/mist is likely and dont go more than a mile or so.
5. pass
6. No. But you would be an idiot if you didnt have any. Suppose you ran over somebody and they sued for £1m ??
7. pass
8. No.
Old 15 April 2007, 20:24   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
see answers in bold

1. So, in order for me to take a RIB and drive it around the coast or some other stretch of water is all I need (apart from launching permits etc) a Level 1 Power Boat Course Certificate under my belt?

don't worry about PB1. I suggest you go straight for PB2. As brian says not a requirment - but generally accepted as the de facto standard for beginners (and will answer many of these sort of questions. I wouldn't recommned PB1 for anyone who is going to be the main person responsible for a rib (suited to occassional crew)

too many to list... and will depend on where you want to use it and what for. don't rule out SIBs (no solid hull) either.

3. What fuel do RIBs use, i know about marine fuel, but otherwise do you buy your petrol from ordinary garages?

if it is an outboard then bog standard 95 octane petrol from your local garage. at the top end 200HP+ engines (not beginners!) you might want a higher octane - fancy fuel

4. Apart from flares, what is the most basic equipment you should always have in your boat?

anchor, flares, oars or alternative form of propulsion etc... ...your PB2 course will cover this OR search here for Nos4r2's introductory thread (its stickied somewhere on the forum)

5. How hard is it really to connect a wheel to an outboard RIB engine so I wouldnt have to use a tiller?
Firstly - using a tiller on a SIB is not the end of the world. the complexity of this operation will depend on (1) the engine (2) the boat (3) the deck (4) the console etc... - most genuine ribs will have centre console steering. most small sibs do not - but some have the option.

NO. But some slipways (and some waterways) will have a requirment. And 3rd party insurance is a good idea as a minimum.

7. What kind of price should I be expecting to pay for a second-hand 3-4m RIBwith engine and in reasonable condition?

it depends on age and what you call reasonable condition. also engine age/size/etc makes big difference. I think it should be possible to get a servicable small sib and engine for £1000 (or for less and pay the balance tidying it up). A rib (with trailer) in full, ready to use form will cost more. Brian suggests getting a restoration project - but beware IMHO this works out more expensive

8. Is there a legal minimum age for driving a RIB unaccompanied in public waters, ie around the coast or on a river?

Not in general. Although beware certain local areas may have local bye laws.

Well thats a few questions off my chest. Thanks in advance, Jonathan. [/QUOTE]
Old 15 April 2007, 20:25   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_ribs View Post

No-you don't need anything, but if you've no experience it's a very good idea to get some training. Discuss what you need with a trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_ribs
Depends on a lot of things-space,budget etc but in my opinion the best boat you can cut your teeth on is a 4m Avon Searider.
Quote:
Depends on the engine.With outboards,the seller will tell you if it's pre-mix 2 stroke (Marine 2 stroke oil mixed in with petrol), Autolube (Marine 2 stroke oil automatically added to the petrol from an oil reservoir) or 4 stroke (normal petrol-no oil added)

Quote:
Lifejackets for everyone. VHF radio. Compass. A knife. Basic first aid kit.A paddle.

Quote:
Easy. Search ebay for 'teleflex' or 'boat steering' and you'll find kits to do it. The only other thing you'll need is the correct link bar for your engine and a console to bolt the steering wheel into.
Quote:
No-but it's a bad idea not to have at least basic 3rd party cover. It doesn't matter how good you are,someone else will always manage to do something random you don't expect.
Quote:
It varies hugely. A 3m rib is tiny and can be had 2nd hand for under £1000 if you're in the right place at the right time. A newish good 2nd hand 4m can cost up to £5000. Most of the cost is determined by condition of tubes and age of motor.
Quote:
No-but some insurance companies won't cover you if you're unaccompanied or under a certain age. Ask them.

The 'beginners' thread is here:- http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12892

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 21:06   #5

Length: 4m +
i have just got insurance for my rib and they said i can use it on my own as long as i have my parents permission, im 14.
Old 16 April 2007, 09:17   #6

Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
With regard to the basic equipment that a RIB should carry, a good list can be found in the Combined Diving Associations Document (see link below)

http://www.bsac.org/uploads/document...delines_04.pdf

Just omit things like Oxygen Kits / shot lines that are diving related

><(((°>

Pete