Old 24 November 2007, 08:04   #1
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
hypalon tube paint

Has anyone used this on there tubes? how easy is it to mask off the parts you would not want painted ie rubbing strikes etc... I am looking at the stuff IBS are selling. However the big question is? dose it make old tubes "look like new" or dose it look like a blind goon has let lose with some gloss paint?
Old 24 November 2007, 08:23   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
you're right with both assumptions cos it depends on where and what you paint and how much care you take. I don't like the stuff cos it rubs off eventually. However as a last resort if the snake oil and elbow grease doesn't work then the results can be pleasing

Masking tape will protect your rubbing strakes
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 09:23   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Almost all teams in Thundercats paint their boats with the team name or sponsor etc, Rogue Wave is right though, after a time this can start to wear off, if your just wanting to clean the boat or restore it, Polymarine do a really good 3 stage kit. Dad had one in for test in the mag and I used it on my boat which had been sat underneath some lyme trees and had that horrible sap all over it, about an hour later and a quick polish the tubes looked like new. Try that stuff first, if I remember it consists of a tube polish, GRP polish, tube wax and the RIB tube version of T-Cut.

Regards

Tom
Old 24 November 2007, 19:34   #4
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Well it is not so much the lack of cleaning that one is thinking of trying to sort out, more that it is like the top surface of the top of the tubes are kind of worn out and. And so I was thinking clean wipe with thinners and paint

They still hold air well and are think commercial tubes so would think have plenty of life left yet?

any one got any close up before and after photos?
Old 25 November 2007, 10:47   #5

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Well it is not so much the lack of cleaning that one is thinking of trying to sort out, more that it is like the top surface of the top of the tubes are kind of worn out and. And so I was thinking clean wipe with thinners and paint

They still hold air well and are think commercial tubes so would think have plenty of life left yet?

any one got any close up before and after photos?
Sounds to me as if the paint would be the answer. My son painted his old Avon Redcrest for the same reason. It did look smart afterwards, though you could see that it had been painted, probably because he was only 12 yrs at the time. I think it's possible to get quite a reasonable finish and on properly prepared surfaces it doesn't peel off all that readily. The grey colour is lighter than the standard Avon tubes. Can't comment on any other colours.

Perhaps another way to solve your problem would be to glue large patches over the top of the tubes? My Humber had this done when built, to add extra chafe protection (my son used to haul creels). The patches butt up against the rubbing strake and cover half the diameter of the tubes. You have to look hard to notice them.
Old 25 November 2007, 11:49   #6

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Has anyone used this on there tubes? how easy is it to mask off the parts you would not want painted ie rubbing strikes etc... I am looking at the stuff IBS are selling. However the big question is? dose it make old tubes "look like new" or dose it look like a blind goon has let lose with some gloss paint?
I used this paint to paint over writing that was on my tubes. I found the paint easy to use, however it is very thin, and does show up any marks. Its easy to mask of parts. If you use masking tape, remove it as soon as possible, it will leave the glue on the tubes and is difficult to clean off. The paint rubberises very quickly, so I only left the tape on for 10minutes. Its easy to follow the seams of the tubes, this makes it look better. (see pic).

It gives a good finish, however I would only use it to improve the appearance of the tubes, the paint is easily marked by ropes etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 01.jpg
Views:	2505
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	31468   Click image for larger version

Name:	30082007(004).jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	31469  
Old 26 November 2007, 11:42   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
more that it is like the top surface of the top of the tubes are kind of worn out
Hmmmm sounds like we have a similar problem...... Mine are worn to the point you can see the reinforcing weave in places! Ironically threse are the sections that hold air!

Quote:
They still hold air well and are think commercial tubes
As are mine, although I'm not sure how much of the extra "bulletproofing" was added by Delta. When I bought the boat, the toobs were brush painted with hypalon paint. Thankfully the surface hadn't been properly cleaned / prepared, so the theraputic removal by peeling of the old paint also removes a lot of the stuff that should have been cleaned off before painting! Having read the other threads on this, my plan is to remove the old paint, give it a good clean, & roller a new layer on. The underlying lettering (presumably added when it was in "active service" is not coming off for anyone, so showing the paint appears to actually stick if applied properly.

When I finally get the paint & toob cleaner I'll point the camera at it & start another "toob refurb" thread in the pics section, but right now I'm on a rewiring mission.......
Old 26 November 2007, 20:21   #8
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
I am looking at the stuff IBS are selling.

Key the surface up with some wet and dry and then use a gloss roller to apply it. The IBS paint is pretty good but don't use Flexithane by Polymarine. It's crap. Far too thin and gives poor coverage compared with the Flexipaint that they discontinued.