Old 11 November 2004, 05:15   #1

Town: Philomath, Oregon
Boat name: Hurrican Hagar
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: None
Hurricane Transom

I have a 1988 Hurricane that at one time had a mid-engine Volvo diesel in it. It has nothing now and I want to repower it. I am thinking about a transom bracket and twin outboards. Anyone out there have experience or suggestions on a good way to reinforce the transom? It was never designed for outboards and I worry about the extra weight back there, both in the water and on the trailer.
Old 11 November 2004, 08:04   #2

Town: Chula Vista, CA
Boat name: T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
repower

Ray,

My Ribcraft 5.85 is designed for outboards but the transom was still reinforced by Ribcraft USA to take a transom bracket. I suppose for the extra stress that is put on the transom by placing twin engines further back off the transom. Ribcraft USA sent me my boat's transom reinforcing details which was intended to get the Armstrong twin outboard bracket for 60 hp outboards. If you want I can give you the details of where it was reinforced and with what materials but I don't know how different the design for inboards is so maybe the details is of no value. The details I have show two longitudinal girders attaching to the transom which is standard I think for this outboard boat. The specs show reinforcing where the girders attach with extra laminate. They also added an extra horizontal band of 3 - 1808 laminate for the line of bolts at the top of the bracket.

Another option is a hull extension which is what I ended up with. My transom is now not only reinforced but has the transom encased in aluminum as part of the hull extension with bolts and the aluminum from the extension is also bolted to the exposed longitudinal girders. I still think Armstrong is still very good but my boat was just too short for it and would of had porpoising problems ( this told to me by the honest folk at Armstrong ).

Hope this helps,

Manuel
Old 11 November 2004, 09:42   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I think you could spend a lot of time and money changing the existing set up and end up with a boat that doesn’t work. Why don’t you fit an inboard?
Insidently do any of you US based ribsters have a current address for Stern Powr They make out-drive legs.

Des
Old 11 November 2004, 10:06   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I thought you had asked this before - I stick by my original reply

I really don't see the point of going to all that extra work just to put outboards on! Outboards of similar HP seem no cheaper than I/O engines!

With the price of petrol in the US I also don't really see the point of going the diesel route - look on Ebay or similar and there should be loads of good mercruiser deals."