Old 27 July 2014, 21:40   #1

Town: Chepstow
Length: no boat
Humber RIB

Hi Guys, first post on the forum so i shall introduce my self. My name is Phil and I have the opportunity to buy an old Humber RIB which is in need of some work but I think it will make a good restoration project. Here's the story, I am at UWE bristol doing an M Eng in Motorsports Engineering and I am the Equipment officer of the UWE Sub Aqua Club, the club possesses two RIB's one of which we have chosen to sell, now this is the one I am interested in buying from the club, Its an old Humber (around 5 meter, I can measure it next week) and the ID plate is worn so is very hard to read.

I am asking for some input on what you would pay for this RIB and details on the model, it has no engine as it was stolen and no console, also the tubes are badly faded and the starboard side has a small leak, also the rubber part attaching the bulkhead to the tubes is cracked and tearing so the tubes may need replacement. I am keen to try and get this for around £500 with the trailer etc so it can become a project. Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Cheers
Phil

Old 27 July 2014, 22:23   #2

Length: 3m +
Money Pit is what that looks like to me. Some restoration projects look like they need a load of time but little outlay. Others loads of investment and some both. This could be both!

Which hull is it? If its the shallow humber hull that reduces value a lot as its far less useful in choppy seas..

Sounds like the fibreglass is sound.

The tubes are VERY faded. I'd ideally want to polish up a little bit and see if they will improve. If they will thats labour rather than megga bucks, otherwise you may be retubing sooner than you'd like (like before you leave uni!) - thats £3k+ on that boat.
Seam shouldn't be a major spend to fix but budget for £100 for DIY.

You need an engine. Not sure what size but 70gee gees would seem like the right kind of size to me. Even an old 70 with no major issues is gonna cost £1k I'd expect.

You need a console. Console its self is probably £200 but you need steering too. Budget £500 and if you are lucky you get enough spare to stick a VHF in the console.

Trailer - looks like its not been used in a while. As its a club trailer bet on the bearings being shot. They need looked at before you move it.

Tarted up tubes with an old 2 smoke on it, console but with nothing flashy like GPS, Charts, Fish finder, Nav Lights, what would she be worth? I'd guess £3k ~. Retubed she'd be worth £4-5k at most and that would depend on the engine being decent. Lets assume £5k, take £3k off for tubes, £1k off for engine, £500 off for console, steering etc and you are about on the money with £500 for the boat. But no payback for time/effort, and certainly a risk you find other costs. Without re-tubing, £3k - minus £1500 for engine and console. BUT you'll only get £3k of you can sort the tubes to look decent. With tubes as they are £1500-£2k with an engine and console would be my guess. That means the boat as it is must be worth £0 - £500. My gut feel is its probably less than £500... without the trailer its <£200. The trailer is £100-300 worth depending on condition...
Old 27 July 2014, 22:24   #3

Oh and the split in the black - no idea how serious that is. If its serious its gonna be a major PIA to fix...
Old 27 July 2014, 22:53   #4

Thanks for your input ShinyShoe,
as I am the SAC EQ officer, I am in charge of selling the boat but I do need to somehow prove how much its worth, especially if I am to buy it, this does however mean that I can get to it whenever I like and see what needs doing so I can make a decision.

The Students Union who own it and all the clubs kit recommended finding a similar one and basing the sale price on that but I think a valuation by someone proficient would be better as to consider all the problems that would need fixing.

This would be a long term-ish project throughout Uni and I would be happy if I reached break even cost-wise.

What compound would I use to see if the tubes will polish up?

As I am a newbie to boating (other than recently completing a PB course and having about 15-20 trips on numerous vessels) I wouldn't be wanting too much kit anyway to start out but would probably end up buying some fancy stuff as I get more experience.

The trailer has some spares with it including two new wheels but I haven't checked the bearings so I will check them out next week when I go to the lock up.

Cheers
Phil
Old 28 July 2014, 08:01   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipModro View Post
I am in charge of selling the boat but I do need to somehow prove how much its worth, especially if I am to buy it,
the only way to really prove its market value is to auction it. I suspect you are not far off at £500 as its not looking pretty, it looks like an assault (the least sea capable of the humber range) and will take quite a bit of work. It may go for more on ebay though as people are stupid!

Quote:
The Students Union who own it and all the clubs kit recommended finding a similar one and basing the sale price on that but I think a valuation by someone proficient would be better as to consider all the problems that would need fixing.
you'll find it easier to get by the Union if you can find out what its book value is on their accounts. A professional opinion on value from a surveyor will cost c. £250 after its been properly examined - its not worth the effort!

Quote:
This would be a long term-ish project throughout Uni and I would be happy if I reached break even cost-wise.
it wont! if you are lucky you might recover your outlay in cost (I still doubt it!) but its going to eat time, which you could be earning minimum wage for somewhere!

Quote:
What compound would I use to see if the tubes will polish up?
Don't. You could try just cleaning but I think you are into wiping with solvent (MEK / Toluene etc). Expect the uni to be all Health and Safety if you are thinking of doing this on their land!

Quote:
As I am a newbie to boating (other than recently completing a PB course and having about 15-20 trips on numerous vessels) I wouldn't be wanting too much kit anyway to start out but would probably end up buying some fancy stuff as I get more experience.
I don't want to put you off but boat ownership is stupidly expensive. I'd expect you to spend £500 per annum once its finished just to keep the thing road/seaworthy, insured etc. That's before you've put any fuel in it. I know students aren't as "poor" now as they were when I were a lad (ironically abolishing grants has increased their expenditure!) but that is a money pit. If your club has a good boat, then make use of it "free" and save the cash for drink/fuel/dancing-girls/books/food/holiday.
Old 28 July 2014, 08:14   #6

Boat name: Scubaqua
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 115
MMSI: 244630361
RIBase
I would get more than the 500 to take it from you... ;-)
This costs realy a lot of time. The crack is not that bad, it's just a patch which can be renewed.
They did also do some work at the transom, if this is performed bad there will be water in the transom and than this is definately no project anymore....
A project like this goes on and on..(read cost money and money) and than still is not finished...
Old 28 July 2014, 09:41   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
It's probably worth just about £500 quid to someone with the time/money/experience/materials/premises/tools to tidy it up & stick it on Ebay. Walk away from it for a couple of weeks & don't think about it, the initial surge of lust that you felt for her will wear off. Go take another look in a week or 2 & you'll think to yourself, "did I nearly take that dog on"
Listen to your uncle Poly, he talks sense (sometimes)
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 11:26   #8

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
I had an old 5 metre Humber inflatable a good few years ago with tubes in similar condition. You'd be amazed what a bit of elbow grease can do. I used T cut mostly and acetone on the really stubborn areas (wear rubber gloves with acetone). Tubes came up almost like new. Not sure if these materials are recommended but they did the job.
Check the hull (especially the floor) for delamination. An old hull may have had numerous items screwed into it and when removed the holes may not have been sealed. Water ingress into the floor could result in a very expensive repair bill. Also for that sized hull a console would use up a lot of deck space that could be used for dive gear. My old inflatable had loads of deck space for kitting but it does make long journeys tiring sitting at the tiller. The trailer is probably shot and will need replaced. When I bought the inflatable I had to tow it back from South Wales to Scotland. Before we got half way up Wales most of the trailer had fell apart. It was mostly rust held together by numerous layers of paint. Bit of bodging got us home for a trailer rebuild. :-)
They are good fun if you enjoy fixing things and tinkering.
Drop Humber a line re the condition. They are usually very helpful and may offer some pointers and expected costs.
Old 29 July 2014, 00:30   #9

Thanks for the replies

I am proficient at laborious work involving fabricating and repairing having restored classic cars for a lot of my life, I am not looking to get this thing absolutely perfect and buy the parts new, there is a lifeboat station very near me with plenty of parts in their yard such as consoles, outboards and even old hulls so I may go and talk with them.

This may be a shot in the dark but how does everyone feel on painting the tubes? I have known a few people that have had good results from it.

I only really intend on having some fun on the severn estuary which is very near me and perhaps the odd few trips to Cornwall (an annual event with friends) for some shore boating.

Cost really doesn't matter to me too much and even if i do make a loss on it in the end it will be an experience, much like several of the car restorations I have either done or assisted with.

I shall email Humber directly, send them some photos and see what they say about the boat and see how much they think it would cost to get her seaworthy again.

I do really appreciate the input and if I do choose to move on and buy a ready built RIB I do still need to sell this one for the club which could prove fun.

Thanks
Phil
Old 29 July 2014, 09:20   #10

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Plas Menai sold a couple of 4.5m Tornados for £500. No engine or trailer, but did have console and tubes a bit dubious, so I should think the price suggested is about right.

Equipment For Sale » Plas Menai

A good way to value things is to search ebay, but with the "completed listings" box ticked. That way you can see what sold and for how much.

David

Tags
rib