Old 24 January 2006, 19:59   #1

Town: Durham
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D3 160hp
MMSI: 235034618
Humber ocean pro 6.3 or 7m diesel inboard

I am about to purchase a larger RIB and have narrowed it down to a Humber Ocean Rro 6.3 or 7m with a 160hp Volvo Penta diesel inboard. There is only £2000 difference in the price between the boats. It will be used on the north east coast (Tynemouth northwards/southwards) but would also like to tow it to the west coast of Scotland frequently where we would like to do extended cruises including offshore passages (eg Outer Hebrides). On most occasions there will only be 3-4 people in the boat. I am a bit worried that the 7m would be difficult to tow because of its width(2.6m). Would we be losing much in the way of offshore capability/sea keeping by opting for the 6.3m. In addition what is it like launching such boats with two wheel drive car (towing capacity 1800kg.) Any other comments would be welcomed.
Old 24 January 2006, 20:16   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
your cruising area seems to be the North Sea/Atlantic the wave patterns are quite large if I remember correctly. I'd go with the 7 as you will find a deal of difference between a 6.3 and a 7. I imagine however their is a big difference in the weight (can you supply figures) which might effect you tow car. You can tow OK with the car but it will be awkward on the slipway.

Does any of the other three in the boat have a 4be4

How does the weight difference affect performance as both boats have the same plant
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2006, 20:21   #3

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
I would not worry about the extra length when it comes to towing, as far as the width goes I have no problems with my boat although the roads North of Glasgow around Loch Lomond seem too narrow, however you can always let the tubes down for the trip. The only worry is weight and that comes down to the power of the car and I bet there is not much between the two boats. Derwenthaugh up here has a tractor that they will help you launch with, Sunderland Marina slip is pretty good, not too steep or slimy and the lunatic up at Beadnel will launch for you, a good few places on the West Coast do too. Given the choice I would go with the 7 metres everyday.

If you would like to meet up and go on a couple of running in trips with some company then please let me know, would love to come out with my boat..

Ollie
Old 24 January 2006, 20:28   #4

Have you seen this?? http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F87239/
Old 24 January 2006, 20:39   #5

Thanks for the prompt replys. There is about 100kg differance in weights between the boats. Would love to meet up and do a north east cruise. Who is the lunatic at Beadnall?
Old 24 January 2006, 21:52   #6

There is a guy who drives a tractor and launches boats across the beach at Beadnel from the car park there, keeps the trailers on the beach and stands by on the radio waiting for you to return. However is a close relative of the Schumacher borthers judging by the speed he drives. Hold on tight is the best advice I can give......

Ollie
Old 25 January 2006, 01:38   #7

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
hello, you should be fine with the towing of both boats, however may find the car working hard to get them up slips! just dont wear your clutch out now we have the humber ocean pro 6.3m, and are very happy with her offshore capabilities, which handles the scot west coast, larger wave pattern very very well! in fact she prefers it to the stuff we get in south wales (short steep choppy stuff) and is a joy to drive in these conditions. we have a suzuki 140hp on the back which takes it to 40 knots, and balances the boat nicely, didnt go for higher hp as this would add significantly more weight to the stern. we tow it with a nissan x trail which does it nicely, would even mroe prefer a 4x4 with low box gears to help on loose ground, where the nissan struggles if you dont keep going and get stuck! hasnt happened

i think you will probably find the 7m better simply because generally the bigger the boat you get the better its capability, however im very happy with the 6.3 and think that the bigger you go, apart from on the water, it gets tricker on the road, and seeing as you are using 2 wheel drive, i would stick to the 6.3 which with trailer would come in at just over 1000kgs depending on what you have fitted.

have you ever been to achmelvic beach, near lochinver? thats where we go every year, amazing place to go cruising!
Old 25 January 2006, 09:03   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
the weight shouldn't be a problem, go long and use a rope on the slipway so your car is on the dry and level. I am presuming it's fairly powerful and heavy
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2006, 09:07   #9

I have been to Achmelvic once with our 4m avon. It is a beautiful beach. We kept the boat on pontoons in Lochinver harbour for next to nothing. There were tremendous views of Suillven when you got out to sea. We were going to go to the Summer Isles but the weather turned for the worse.

We wondered about an outboard for our new RIB but were worried about the availability of petrol and limited range if we were to cruise. Is it a problem?
Old 25 January 2006, 09:12   #10

My brother and I are buying the boat he has a 4.6 litre V8 MG Rover (back wheel drive) and I have got a 3.2 litre V6 Vauxhall vectra (front wheel drive). I am not so sure which will be the best tow car.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:20   #11

Both cars are big enough to tow, neither as good as 4 wheel drive on the slips but certainly fine in the majority of circumstances. With the power of those 2 vehicles I would go for the 7 metre without question. Remember the Sea up here tends to be pretty messy, the extra hull length will pay dividends. I look forward to the cruise when you take delivery.

Ollie
Old 26 January 2006, 11:03   #12

Well thankyou for your help, we have opted for the 7m. It should be arriving in April.
Old 26 January 2006, 12:52   #13

Thats great, well done. Fancy running down to RIBEX on the Thursday before? I am and would enjoy the company!!

Ollie
Old 26 January 2006, 22:46   #14

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
Either that bloke's very big or its a funny camera angle cos that looks more like a 6.3 to me..... And I have still to witness more that 35knots MAX out of the Merc 1.7 on a 6.3!

As to 7m or 6.3.... Go for 7m and buy a big 4x4. Either should be good on the water with the 160hp....

Mike C
Old 27 January 2006, 10:17   #15

As to 7m or 6.3.... Go for 7m and buy a big 4x4. Either should be good on the water with the 160hp....

Mike C [/QUOTE]

Reassuring to know that the performance will be OK as we did not get chance for a test drive. How many knots do you think it will do/cruise at. By the way Humber seem knowledgable and friendly and nice to deal with.

As for RIBEX I would consider it next year after building up a bit of long distance cruising experience but as yet I am a relative novice. This year I would prefer something a little less ambitious until we are used to the boat. I was wondering about something like St Abb's head or Eyemouth.
Old 27 January 2006, 10:45   #16

That would be great, if we are going to St Abbs why not push on round and go to Edinburgh?
Old 27 January 2006, 23:16   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Paul, if you are going for a Humber you should note that they have a large tube overhang at the bow and stern (not at all a bad thing) but you get a shortish hull for a given length of boat. I think the 7mt has a hull length of about 5.7mt. I would recommend going for a 7.5mt, especially since you are putting a fairly heavy diesel into it. Towing is no more of a problem because much of the extra length is just tubes. It won't be a fast boat. 160hp is not a lot of power. With a full boat, I reckon you'll be cruising at 28-30knots.
Old 28 January 2006, 01:02   #18

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
although there is an overhang at the front, humber have truncated tube ends at the rear which i reckon compensates for the overhang which is not much more than other rib designs, and i think he should achieve more than 30 knots, although i would have gone for a larger engine too. i think humber have some test results with the 7m boat and an inboard engine, i read through them when making my decision on which boat to go for, and im pretty sure they achieved much better results than 28-30 knots.
Old 28 January 2006, 13:32   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Yeh, well Humber's web site says the 7.5 boat has an approx 6mt hull. I reckon 1.5mts could be considered a substantial overhang, don't you?

Quote:
... and im pretty sure they achieved much better results than 28-30 knots...
What companies say and what you actually get do not always match. If it cruises at 28 I reckon it will be doing well. But, if Paul buys it he wil be able to tell us. I'll give you another guess...35-36 flat out with 3 folk and a tank of fuel.
Old 28 January 2006, 16:53   #20

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
My brother and I are buying the boat he has a 4.6 litre V8 MG Rover (back wheel drive) and I have got a 3.2 litre V6 Vauxhall vectra (front wheel drive). I am not so sure which will be the best tow car.
Rear wheel drive is best for towing, when towing the weight is reduced on the front wheels and increased on the rear, hence front wheels spin easily especially with the power of your vectra