Click Here to Login

Old 06 March 2004, 11:15   #1

Town: Cowes
Boat name: April Blue
Make: Humber 6.5 Extreme
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Humber Extreme 6.3M & Evinrude 115 FICHT 2 Stroke

Has anybody got any knowledge or experience of this Rib and Engine. I would welcome any coments to help me make up my mind if to buy or not. I have seen the report in Motot Boat Monthly.
I understand that the engine had some problems when first launched

Roy
Old 06 March 2004, 12:30   #2

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
If it looks like this one, a humber 6.2 with 115 ficht engine then it is the same or similar to rigid lion (rigid loin!) The army had 2 of them to do the round Britain thing a couple of years ago. I drove one of them (not on that event sadly) Was a very nice boat.
Very sturdy, sea kindly, the engine was quite frugal too if i remember rightly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rigid lion 1 and 2.gif
Views:	776
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	4531  
Old 06 March 2004, 16:09   #3

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
115 ficht

i think there is an article in rib international re this subject
something to do with not enough memory in the computer management system
tim griffin
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 06 March 2004, 16:21   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I thought it was a bit more serious than that??

As I understand from heresay, the quality of machining of certain early engines was to 1970's British Leyland standard, and when Bombadier bought the bust OMC, they allegedly sorted out all the QC issues.

I'm sure that others will be able to give a more comprehensive answer.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2004, 20:30   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
The "rigid lion" boats were Ocean Pros and the 6.3 is a very nice boat. The "Extreme" is same hull but has tapered tubes towards the bow which you might find give a bit of a wetter ride than a true Ocean Pro which has full diameter tubes throughout.
Is it a white hull with white tubes?
Old 06 March 2004, 20:46   #6

The rib I am looking at has white and blue tubes and a white hull
Old 06 March 2004, 21:56   #7

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Ficht

Roy the early Ficht had some issues, Then with modfications Ficht Ram appeared, and very reliable.We run a pair of Ficht Ram 75, they look physically similar to the 115 apart from a different gear box, between the two motors they have notched up 860 trouble free hours, 2001 models.The 115 revs higher than our units appart from lower end mods, and different rev range, again physically, they are hard to tell apart.It is important to run the proper Evinrude injection oil Ram Ficht oil, with a carb x additive to keep the injectors free of varnish.They recommend periodic de carbs with an aersol spray in additive, we have done it once.Jets Marvient in the UK supply you with plugs and spares, the plugs in the Fichts must be indexed, this is easy to do however they are pricey 19.60 euro each Champions xc12pepb, they are available from the US 5 dollars apiece, via mail.www.zincsmart.com have all the replacement anodes at a fraction of the Jets Marvient price, also in the UK.You will be amazed at the fuel consumption we can run 2x75 Fichts and get 1.25 nm per l of fuel for the two of them.They take a lot of cranking amps to turn over and start, turn on ignition, wait 8 10 secs and then start them, fuel injection has primed by then.If you want to be sure if its a RAM look beside a spark plug and you will see a small allen head stud this is the injector, deflector modification and hence a Ficht Ram model.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2004, 22:09   #8

Gavin

Thank you for that .The engine was Manufactured in 2002. I will check for the stud near the plug.

Roy
Old 06 March 2004, 22:57   #9

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
The ridgid lion boats had massive problems with the underdeck fuel tanks, in that they split open and poured 150 litres of fuel into the back of the boat which was pumped out by the bilge pump.

Both boats made most of the trip on a plastic under seat tank.

Since then Humber has stopped fitting underdeck fuel tanks unless they incorporate a giant access hatch so that the tank can be removed easily. Just somethign to think about. Humber obviously found it common enough to stop fitting them.

That could all be useless, does the boat your looking at have under deck fuel tanks?
Old 07 March 2004, 16:32   #10

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Underdeck fuel tanks

Uuhhh...a RIB manufacturer that can't install underdeck fuel tanks without problems?? Yet another company to avoid when thinking a new RIB. Anyway, a good point is that they understand the lack of engineering and boatbuilding skills in their RIBs, but can this be really true??
Old 07 March 2004, 18:39   #11

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Roy

That sounds like the exact RIB / engine combo that Motorboats Monthly had for 12 months.

They published a full review in the feb 03 magazine.

Might be worth you trying to get a copy.

Phil
Old 07 March 2004, 18:43   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Also sounds like the combo that Jets Marivent (Evinrude importers) were running as a demo. I remember towing it in Scotland when it had engine failure on the BIBOA Hebrides cruise!

(Note. Any reference to the actual boat is implied rather than stated. It might not have been that boat & nothing should be implied by this posting. The value of your rib might go up and down and you should always wear a hat when its cold. I thank you.)
Old 07 March 2004, 19:06   #13

Phil

Yes I have seen the report in MBM . I am going to check if the points they raised have been put right on this boat.

Roy
Old 07 March 2004, 19:14   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
When I was at Humber a year ago, they had one of the Ridgid Lion boats in with its deck removed. The tank was stainless and it appeared to be fitted well. It was clamped down with top braces and it was foamed in place. There was no sign of it having come loose. I've no idea where the leak was but it didn't appear to be an installation fault. Except that, as has been discussed here on a few occassions, a stainless tank, which is subjected to flexing, will fail. So, perhaps the hulls are a bit bendy. Just guessing.
Old 07 March 2004, 19:42   #15

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
Except that, as has been discussed here on a few occassions, a stainless tank,
Oh no, that's torn it, we going to have Joni "ally tanks" Fuller going into one again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 March 2004, 23:17   #16

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
When I was at Humber a year ago, they had one of the Ridgid Lion boats in with its deck removed. The tank was stainless and it appeared to be fitted well. It was clamped down with top braces and it was foamed in place. There was no sign of it having come loose. I've no idea where the leak was but it didn't appear to be an installation fault.
Just adding to the speculation.... The story I heard about that leak was that it happened when the tank was full.... which fitted in with a problem I had on my 6.3. Early on, I found diesel filling up the rear engine well. Not a very nice sight but I traced it to the fuel sender fitment. When the tank was full and the boat low at the back....(as I store it in the garden to drain the rain off – and as it would be in the water, off the plain), there is a lot of pressure on the sender area due to the weight of diesel. Fuel was actually oozing out up the threads of the screws that hold the fuel sender in to the tank. Totally fixed with a roll of PTFE tape and a dab of sica flex to the threads. To be fair to Humber, the tanks are supplied ready made, (I am told). Lets hope whoever makes them use PTFE tape now!

Mike C
Old 03 April 2004, 20:18   #17

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0
The ridgid lion boats had massive problems with the underdeck fuel tanks, in that they split open and poured 150 litres of fuel into the back of the boat which was pumped out by the bilge pump.

Both boats made most of the trip on a plastic under seat tank.

Since then Humber has stopped fitting underdeck fuel tanks unless they incorporate a giant access hatch so that the tank can be removed easily. Just somethign to think about. Humber obviously found it common enough to stop fitting them.

That could all be useless, does the boat your looking at have under deck fuel tanks?
My boat is fitted with a underdeck tank, and no large access hatch (or a small one come to that), and it was made after the rigid lion trip.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2004, 21:02   #18

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Well when i was at Humber a few weeks ago loking to buy from them i was told i needed an access hatch or they wouldnt fit an under deck tank. The cost of this hatch was £800 if i remember rightly.
Old 03 April 2004, 21:27   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0
Well when i was at Humber a few weeks ago loking to buy from them i was told i needed an access hatch or they wouldnt fit an under deck tank. The cost of this hatch was £800 if i remember rightly.
So the boys at Humber are saying "Give us an extra £800 'cos we don't trust our fuel tanks"??!!??
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2004, 18:43   #20

Town: Poole
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Engine: 200 Mariner Optimax
Was it...

...this boat?
(saw it at Humber yesterday)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extreme.jpg