Old 06 September 2006, 10:40   #1

Town: Newry
Boat name: Nothing Yet.
Length: no boat
Humber Ex Rescue Boat

Hi again guys, just looking for some more info. I have done a search but not come up with anything.

I've been looking at a little Humber (approx 4m ish) with a soft bottom, (SIB?) for sale locally. The tubes do need a little attention as one is definitely punctured somewhere (little hole, can hear a hiss if I lean on the tube) and the other is softer than I like after a couple of days. It used to be a rescue boat but the decals have been removed and it has a Mariner 40 2 stroke on the back, advertised as Ex-RNLI.

Firstly, is there a big difference between a soft bottom and a rigid hull when it comes to choppy seas? Does the keel have to be inflated, because I could not see anywhere to do that. She has a carpeted ply deck with a console mounted and a small dodger in the bows and the cross beam there has separated from the deck at that point. Would it be a matter of just re fixing that, or could it be an indicator of a larger problem?

I was thinking of fitting a Mercury 25hp Bigfoot 4 stroke and I assume that this would still push her along well, as I have someone who is looking for a 40hp engine. However, if I keep the 40, do I have to mix the fuel or is there an integral oil reservoir which you just need to top up every so often?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I've never used a soft bottom boat with a 2 stroke before.

Lastly, what about launching and retrieving, is there any special way of doing this or a special trailer you need. I'm just wondering as there is no solid keel to go on rollers and if bunks were used, they'd have to support the tubes, right?

Thanks for all your help guys, sorry the post is a bit long.

regards, Stefan.
Old 06 September 2006, 11:58   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Well a bloke I know has been in the RNLI for 20 years and he swears that in extreme conditions he would rather be in a D class(SIB) than anything else. He said that once they were swamped they were so stable you would be fine. And he has quite enough experience of RIBs and SIBs to know.

He was telling me about the time they had to take the crew off the big lifeboat as it had engine problems. They used the D class - the condtions - Force 12!!!
Old 06 September 2006, 12:36   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
Usually the valve for the inflatable keel is a few inches before the console in the bow. The boat will not perform as well without the keel. The D-Class is an extremely capable boat and great fun to play in big waves and surf! The RNLI, with the old D-Class often used a trailer with wide bunks on which the boat was dragged up on backwards.

When the boats were in service there were bracing bars up forward underneath where the anchor box and radio was located. If these weren't adjusted corrected the boat would flex and flop over waves. I don't know if they were left in once not in service anymore, might be something to look out for when trialing the boat though.

You might want to think about keeping the engine with the boat if it is an Ex-RNLI one as it will have been flushed after every use and well maintained, although there is the possibility is may have been dunked if the boat had flipped at all. Also the engines are modified and come with some nice little extras, i.e. emergency tool kit holder mounted in the engine inside the hood. There were some mods to the engine as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lifeboat1.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	21983  
Old 06 September 2006, 14:12   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Humber - not D class

I think our man's been offered a Humber with an ex RNLI 40 - not a D class.

Big difference in ride between a RIB and a SIB - the rib will give a softer ride and also probably better performance with the 40hp once you see some waves.

Inflatable keel should definately be inflated - perforrmance will be awful if not.

Trailer should have wide bunks to support the boat along the tubes.

Fuel will need to be premixed with oil. make sure you use TCW3 marine spec oil mixed at the correct ratio (50:1 I think).

Would probably go well with a 25hp. The boat is pretty light and as a SIB is normally flat(ish) bottomed effeciently driven.

Hope this helps
Old 06 September 2006, 15:15   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
I would rather stick with the 40 2stroke than going for 25 bigfoot 4stroke......... lot of weight differance.

Bogi
Old 07 September 2006, 11:03   #6

Town: dartmouth, devon
Boat name: no boat
Length: 5m +
i agree too much weight
also, why a big foot? it would be a bit counter productive on something as light as a sib.
stick with the 40
Old 11 September 2006, 15:31   #7

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Interceptor
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 100 4 stroke
Lifeboatman

Hi. I have a superb Humber Assault 5 Metre with a 40 Johnson. It goes like stink & is fairly econimical. Having just bought a bigger RIB this one is for sale.
I'm in Torbay if youre interested.