Old 11 February 2014, 16:18   #1

Length: 4m +
Humber Assault rib Help!

hey guys!
looking at abit of advice!
i was looking at the xs ribs 4.6 but have settled on the idea of a humber!
because of the slightly shallower v hull and long lasting reliability!

BUT! i cant decided what size boat? i am looking at the 4.0/4.3/4.5 ribs they do.

i will be using it around Port Isaac and Padstow in Cornwall for fishing, and in the estuary for towing wake boarders and rings..

mostly will just be me and maybe 2 others on the boat, but i would like deck space!

would it be best to put the max engine rating on the boat for pure power?

any help or pics or your humber or ribs of similar size would be great!

cheers.
Old 11 February 2014, 16:24   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by theribber93 View Post
any help or pics or your humber or ribs of similar size would be great!

cheers.
Show us your Humber pics - RIBnet Forums
Old 11 February 2014, 16:32   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I'd go for the largest you can , so from the list of options the 4.5.

Knowing the water around that neck of the woods if you could get up to a 4.7 or a 5 then you'll have a better working platform and a more comfy ride.

As to engine then again go for what you can get for the cost. Bigger is better but there is a trade off on weight and cost.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 16:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I'd go for the largest you can , so from the list of options the 4.5.

Knowing the water around that neck of the woods if you could get up to a 4.7 or a 5 then you'll have a better working platform and a more comfy ride.

As to engine then again go for what you can get for the cost. Bigger is better but there is a trade off on weight and cost.
okay, so lets say i went for the 5m with a 60hp merc or honda?
would this be a lean mean fuel gussling machine? it would also have to ne towed by a 1.8 petrol ford focus, this is why i was leaning towards the smaller ribs?
Old 11 February 2014, 16:59   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
you dont have the best of weather etc and can change so quickly as ya know, why go for an assault (which is more akin to a flat sea craft). at least a O pro or destroyer!
Old 11 February 2014, 17:29   #6

so maybe heading away from the humber assult idea?

what in your guys opinions would be a perfect craft for around here? 5m max?
i am also looking brand new purly because i will get exactly what i want eg: layout colors frames accessory
Old 11 February 2014, 17:34   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Thats changed the gameplan a tad.. all depends on ya Budget.. Ribcraft 5. Ribeye 5 Osprey 5, Humber 5 etc etc

Al different in many ways.. I had a new Ribcraft 5 which is an awesome boat but may not be your cup, of tea!

out of the above, the Humber will be by far the cheapest...!
Old 11 February 2014, 17:44   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by theribber93 View Post
okay, so lets say i went for the 5m with a 60hp merc or honda?
would this be a lean mean fuel gussling machine? it would also have to ne towed by a 1.8 petrol ford focus, this is why i was leaning towards the smaller ribs?
I run a 4.7 with a 50 that is more economical than the 5.4 with a 90 but not enough to worry about. You don't have to use all the power, all the time.

Both are happy on the back of the Astra estate though

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 08:51   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
FWIW I use about 0.83 L / nautical mile with my prehistoric 60.... I drank much the same with my old 4m SR and a 25.

The consumption difference at 20-ish knots will likely be negligible. IF you plan to do a LOT of slow speed pottering, a 4 - stroke or a new DI 2- stroke might give you a "significant" consumption difference, but by the sounds of things a lot of your time is going to be spent with the throttle open.

Humbers are good. I used to swear by SRs until I got mine. (which, incidentally celebrates it's 30th sometime this year) so they are robust & long lasting. I tow mine with a focus.

Also be aware the Attaque & Assault are totally different boats, often mistaken for each other. One is the Shallow V you talk about, the other is what evolved into the O-Pro....
Old 12 February 2014, 09:43   #10

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Humber assault

We had a 5m humber assault with a Tohatsu 70c, both products worked well together, in fact Vincent vega now has the fun.

The boat is great but I see the bias more for in shore fun, one of the key benefits is easy planing, nice and light and fast turn of speed.

If I was spending more time in rougher seas I would go for a 5m destroyer which has a slightly deeper vee or a ribquest or a ribcraft.

The assault was a great boat, very strong and protected us very well, but as our teenagers grew we simply outgrew the boat, 5 kids and boards and skis.

Hope this helps you narrowing down your choices
Old 12 February 2014, 20:21   #11

thanks very much guys! i think im going to go for the ribcraft! i also looked at the rya junior championships? they use a ribcraft with a 60hp and it looks like the boat i need!

just asking does anyone have any info pictures of the solent 4.6 rib?
alot cheeper?
Old 12 February 2014, 22:37   #12

Town: belfast
Boat name: un-named
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 60hp
humber assault 5m

I have a 5m assault with a 60hp merc four stroke. Have it some 6 yrs and bought from new. Very economical to run and towing would not be a problem for you. Good boat and engine, never given bother. In rough seas essentially any boat gives a hard ride at speed so I personally wouldn't get too hung up about about deep v's or any other alleged comfort device. I would assume however it might be a wetter boat in a deep sea rather than a deep v as lesser v's tend to have less of a protective bow rise. The benefits of the assault are that they will plane more readily though. I find that more than 6 adults onboard the 5m with amy 60hp and you may struggle to get on plane. However very fast and exciting with one person only. I find most of the beam in the 5m is behind the console so technically it appears narrower and "less of a boat" in a big sea from your position forward (if that makes sense). Also I have a console which essentially sits a pilot and passenger behind. The cockpit size is "just" that wrong size to accommodate any further fixed seating so consider what an extra 0.5m might do for you against a cheaper 4.5m assault.
If memory serves me right the max engine hp/weight ratio of the 5m assault limited me to the 60hp four stroke based on weight. You can bust through that barrier with a bigger engine but be careful you don't create something that is uninsurable.
Old 17 February 2014, 18:20   #13

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Engine: 90 yamaha
I have had a couple of assaults and look after a few others.
I wouldn't bother with a 4m as the actual hull is only about 3m long, try as we might we couldn't get one to run nicely with a 30 Honda on it.
The 4.5 and 5 are ok, I ran a 5m with a 90 yam on it which was fun (43kn on gps)
I've also run 5m assaults with a sixty two stroke yam, a 70 evinrude and 70 yam, also with 40 and 50 Hondas.
The assault doesn't have a particularly shallow v hull BUT the tubes are mounted very low and tend to drag in the water and so give a lumpy ride in a chop. However as a safety boat its easier to drag people into than many other ribs because of the low tubes.
There is another humber model with a much shallower V, not sure of the name but I saw a new 5m one last year.
The destroyer 5m is a much better sea boat though considerably heavier.
We bought a new 5m assault last month direct from humber, without a console for £3600 inc vat. With a two man sports console it would have been £4500. So humbers are very keenly priced and tough as old boots too.
Old 17 February 2014, 18:48   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Before you sign on the dotted line - check out the Ribquest 4.8m too.
4.8m

Tags
rib