Old 04 May 2006, 20:12   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Iande
Make: Zodiac 6.5 pro open
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 + Johns
Hull Cleaning - Good Product

Took the boat out of water last week and what should be a white hull very yellow and stained. Local rib maintenance guy was power washing another rib and offered me use of machine which cleaned surface stuff but not the yellowing, scum, stains etc . He then produced a tin of what he described to be the 'best' in his experience so far. Did a little area with a pan scouring pad and rinsed off - superb. Went there today and just used a paintbrush, left for 10 mins and washed off. Great result.
Don't know if anyone has used and other opinions but impressive. Called - International Paints High Strength Stain Remover for Restoration. A reactive gel which claims to remove exhaust and rust stains, wax, yellowing rust etc. Very easy to apply and remove - even on a trailer. Think it was £7-8 for a small bottle which goes a long way. Pleased.
Old 04 May 2006, 21:01   #2
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
As far as I'm concerned if the staining is bad then no magic liquid potion is gonna get it off. The real deal is 3M Marine Finesse-It paste compound. It comes in a 1US gal can and lasts about 25yrs. You can hand apply or better with a machine mop. You can carefully remove the most stubborn marks with soapy 1200 paper, then polish the paper marks out with the compound. I then finish with 3M Finesse-It 09639 Finishing material (polish). She'll look like new.
Old 04 May 2006, 21:19   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
can i get a little container of it from you if you have some my dear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
As far as I'm concerned if the staining is bad then no magic liquid potion is gonna get it off. The real deal is 3M Marine Finesse-It paste compound. It comes in a 1US gal can and lasts about 25yrs. You can hand apply or better with a machine mop. You can carefully remove the most stubborn marks with soapy 1200 paper, then polish the paper marks out with the compound. I then finish with 3M Finesse-It 09639 Finishing material (polish). She'll look like new.
Old 05 May 2006, 12:47   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I use this & it work very well & with no effort
http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=7504
Old 05 May 2006, 15:22   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
OMG! Don't use pan scourers on GRP! it takes a huge amount of effort to get back to a smooth finish afterwards.

There is a non-abrasive solution to hull staining called Y10. It's an acidic compound and needs to be sponged off with lots of water within about 10 minutes of applying it. Then treat the hull with a quality waxing compound as the surface will be really, really porous aftwerwards. You can achieve a finish that's as good as when the hull was pulled from the mould with this method. Y10 will remove staining, rust marks, and is widely used by yotties.

You can purchase Y10 from most good chandlers such as Shamrock Quay.

I've learned these techniques over the last couple of years from timboli and Jonny Fuller and they were well worth listening to!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2006, 00:07   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why not use oxalic acid? Same stuff as y10 and a lot cheaper!!!

Or even use some rhubarb - same stuff......
Old 06 May 2006, 04:50   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
You could give it a go... I just wonder how difficult it would be to get the right concentration and apply the oxalic acid in a manner that adhered itself to the hull for sufficient time? Y10 cost me about £20 to do the hull last year.

We don't have rhubarb growing in our garden so would have to buy that...
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote