Old 01 May 2013, 09:30   #1

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Hull Bilge bung outlet

I have a 6m RIB with as yet an unsolved fuel leak which is putting about 1/2 litre of petrol in to the bilge a day. The automatic bilge pump float does not like the petrol and has stopped working. Until I can solve the problem I have been flushing the bilge with soapy water and then sponging it out.

My RIB does not have a stainless Steel screw in bung at the bottom of the hull V ie just in front of the engine. I have noticed that many RIBS have such a drain hole.

What is the concensus for my putting one in so at least any leakage will drain straight out of the boat when it is up on the trailer.

The boat is fairly new and under warranty but I currently have the RIB in France till at least much later in the year. The manufacturer who have been excellent say they have never seen a fuel tank leakage although one of their RIBS had a leak around the fuel sender that had not been tightened down tightly. The tank is stainless steel so unlikely so have sprung a leak so I need to concentrate on the outlet pipes where I can get at them and the primary fuel filter.

The tank is in the main hull under the console and seating. This is the reply I had from the manufacturers which seems fair enough.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"I assume that you have checked the fuel tank fittings? Under the helm seat and in the aft locker.
No splits in pipes?
Has the fuel sender been removed at all?
We had this once before on a 5m and it was because the fuel sender had not been sealed and fastened properly.
IF the deck needs lifting then the console and helm seat will need un bolting, the wiring disconnected and most likely throttle cables taken off. The deck can then be unscrewed and lifted to gain access.
so strange how this wasn't noticed prior which is why it makes me think it is a connection."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how easy this unbolting etc will be if I have to do it out in France though.

Any thoughts on drain hole and leaking tank?
Old 01 May 2013, 09:50   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
My thoughts are if it's leaking, address the leak rather than trying to bodge a solution to draining petrol out on a regular basis. What brand/model is this RIB? I had something similar on a 3 year old RIB a few years ago - the tank developed a tiny split on one of the welded seams - it was stainless steel. I personally wouldn't be using the boat if it's leaking that much - it's a ticking time bomb if the bilge is full of petrol.
Old 01 May 2013, 10:02   #3

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
My thoughts are if it's leaking, address the leak rather than trying to dodge a solution to draining petrol out on a regular basis. What brand/model is this RIB? I had something similar on a 3 year old RIB a few years ago - the tank developed a tiny split on one of the welded seams - it was stainless steel. I personally wouldn't be using the boat if it's leaking that much - it's a ticking time bomb if the bilge is full of petrol.
You are absolutely right and I am addressing the leak. It is going in to our local French marine workshop this coming Saturday.

I am monitoring this daily and in the mean time flushing out the bilge with soapy water to avoid a build up of petrol and fumes. I take this very seriously and pretty concerned.