Click Here to Login

Old 19 November 2004, 01:03   #1

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
how to re-condition non-skid?

I'm re-conditioning an ex-military RIB and need advice on how to restore the deck to presentable condition. It's grey gel coat with no paint, is oxidized and has many areas of spilled oil and other contaminants of some unknown kind.

I would sand and paint it, but here is the problem....this is the heaviest non-skid I've ever seen. Not made for bare feet, but for boots, and as much as 1/8" deep in some places. I can't possible sand the depressions so couldn't feel sure the paint would adhere - and I fear the paint would wear off the high spots much quicker than the low, leaving it in worse condition than present. I'm in the US so will most likely be limited to products available here. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 19 November 2004, 09:41   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sunrider hi,

Had great success before using deck paint which I think has silver sand in it.

However the preparation was critical. The firs time I scrubbed the deck with a pan cleaner 3 times to remove all traces of contaminates. Two coats of deck paint, the first thinned, were then applied. After a seasons use as a dive boat the scratches were simply touched in and once dried you couldn't see any difference. The second boat I did, didn't get the same preparation and the paint lifted more easily. Lesson learnt.

If your deck is GRP and you are going to paint it afterwards how about light sand blasting ? it would give a good etched finish for the paint.

Pete
Old 19 November 2004, 10:02   #3

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
I have no idea whether this would work or would even be suitable but this product claims to prepare the surface without the need to sand first. May be worth looking into/doing a test patch?

HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2004, 10:46   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
ive not been able to find a black antislip paint over here in the chandlery shops, so i get a tin of black international polyurethane (brightside range), a tin of matt additive, and a couple of sachets of antislip powder (its like a fine plastic sand / powder).

mix this lot together and put in the non slip till it thickens it but only very slightly. then 3 or 4 coats. the polyurethane paint dries quickly, and we have found that you get quite a good finish. we put it on all the P22 boats that we do. Its not quite as industial as the military non slip, but the finish may be more pleasing to the eye.... (and not so messy to take off!)

any undulations in the deck we fill with epoxy first to flaten it off. gell coat filler would do on a grp deck, but epoxy is alot tougher....
Old 19 November 2004, 10:48   #5

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
great idea about sandblasting the deck first pete, a lightly blasted finish on any surface will make the paint stick better. ive never use it on grp but commonly use it on metals, it beats rubbing down with sand paper or grinder.
Old 19 November 2004, 10:53   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
The original stuff on my boat is a 3M product with stainless steel beads set in a grey- black compound that you trowel on at an 1/8 to a ¼ thick directly onto the ply. This stuff is designed for use on public walkways so can take heavy use and poor environmental conditions.

I am mixed about its performance, from a grip point of view it’s great, giving good non slip performance regardless of what shoes you wear

What is frustrating is that if you want to remove it you have to use a cup wire brush in a grinder because it sticks so well, While on the other hand I have one or two places where it has come off for no good reason
I think pete7 advice about cleanliness might be a contributing factor but 3M said not to worry too much.

Des
Old 19 November 2004, 15:23   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
I can't possible sand the depressions so couldn't feel sure the paint would adhere .....Any ideas or suggestions?
Yes you can. Get out the angle grinder and skiff it back and forth across the surface. A dusty job but it works fine. Been there, done it.
Old 20 November 2004, 04:23   #8

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
thanks for the very helpful recommendations and suggestions. I'll check out the Klean Strip and sand blasting options first, then get out the grinder if all else fails.

this is for a 30' RIB I bought from the US Navy - had it in the water for the first time today and it's awesome...twin 300hp diesels turning jet drives..it flies! I'll post some pictures when the cosmetic work is a bit further along. thanks again.
bryan
Old 20 November 2004, 06:38   #9

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
it's awesome...twin 300hp diesels turning jet drives..it flies! I'll post some pictures when the cosmetic work is a bit further along.
Looking forward to seeing those piccies, Bryan! Good luck with it!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2004, 11:30   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...twin 300hp diesels turning jet drives..
Sounds cool.