Old 25 August 2010, 02:45   #1

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
How to attach lifelines?

Stu[id question, but what is the best way to tie lifelines. It is a searider with grommets on top of the tubes, and I would like the lines to hang down so they are accessible from the water. Do I just put a clove hitch at each hole? Also any suggestions on rope? Thanks again. Always great responses.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:39   #2

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
When I changed mine I used 6mm rope and passed it back through itself after going through the 2 grommets. I hope that makes sense but it is peeing down outside so I'm not going to row out to the mooring to take pics. I'll try later if I get the chance though.

I also got some garden hose (the woven kind) to put over the rope in the Avon style to make the grab lines easier to use in place of the cracked plastic ones that were on there. The whole job is still going well 3 years later.

Ian
Old 25 August 2010, 08:56   #3

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
If you use the self-splicing nylon type rope you can pass the rope through itself creating a loop which can either go through gromits or d-rings to hold it in position. If you are still not sure and I will take some photos shortly as I have some self-splicing rope being delivered for a job today!
Old 25 August 2010, 15:19   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Use hollow braid polypro, and, as said above, run the line through the grommet, then pass the line through itself a couple of times to get the standoff you need from the grommets. The final "splice" is done by passing the line through itself a couple of times, then burying the bitter (loose) end inside the working line.

If you use three strand, I've seen a similar thing done, but passing the line under one strand a couple of times (best to choose different strands I think.) Final splice will be a regular 3-strand "braid back" splice (though I suppose a decent whip job would suffice as well.)

I've never seen the need for any kind of cover on the lifelines, but that's a matter of taste, I guess.

jky
Old 26 August 2010, 01:12   #5

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
Got it. Thanks
Old 26 August 2010, 13:40   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I've seen some boats with narrower rope run through fuel line or something similar helps keep the ropes down and makes a nice secure hand hold.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote