Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 September 2004, 02:07   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
How sea worthy is my rib??? (pics inside)

I finally have my rib in decent condition after some hull work, electronic work, trailer work, and still in progress engine work. Due to a recent setback in parts delivery I have to wait another week for my first run on the mighty Pacific Ocean.
Since I can't for another week take my boat out I was wondering if someone here could tell me how sea worthy my boat is? I intend to cross roughly 20 miles from the mainland of Los Angeles to the Channel Islands. Would I be foolish in attempting to cross the channel in a 4 meter mid V hull rib with a 30 hp outboard? I have plenty of safety equipment (personal strobes (2), parachute flare (1), pistol flares, whistles, horns, pfds, handheld vhf, console vhf ( 3db antenna ), compass, gps, etc ). I am aware that conditions will be the obvious determining factor but I was wondering if you guys could give me a feel for how seaworthy my boat is. I will most likely be traveling with 1 passenger. I suppose the weight of 2 people, food, and gear, will be about 525 lbs. Thanks.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_3225.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	8026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_3226.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8027  
Old 09 September 2004, 07:27   #2

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
I think the journy will be made far easier, safer and quicker with a prop...

Seriously though it would be easier if you said what you are missing, that way easier to predict potential risks..

Ollie
Old 09 September 2004, 07:54   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I think you've got all the bases....

.......covered. I might suggest you make sure you're wearing life jackets, have a kill cord attached and some warm / dry clothes.

Of course, you need to know where your going (charts) and have some appreciation for the state of the tide and approaching weather (getting there and back).

Other than that, you might want to advise someone ashore of your trip plan (departure time, position, destination, expected arrival) etc, however I think you've got it covered. As for the craft she looks fine - no worries, don't forget fuel consumption, oil, foot pump basic tool kit and you're away. Have fun.
Old 09 September 2004, 07:59   #4

What exactly do you mean what I'm missing? If its the part on order its a driveshaft. I had the ol stuck driveshaft in the powerhead syndrome. I had to cut the shaft and have it extracted via EDM from the powerhead. Now I need a new driveshaft, thats the wait. Now if I didn't know I'd be in some potential risk without a driveshaft then....
Old 09 September 2004, 08:04   #5

Thanks MeMe,

I guess what I'm kinda implying is I have rib length envy or maybe even deep V hull envy with my not so deep mid V hull. Everywhere I go I'm always noting how shallow my hull is compared to others. I guess thats the root of my concerns for sea worthyness. Am I gonna get tossed and capsize or flood easily? What exactly am I going to experience with my mid v hull vs. a deep v hull of the same length? Maybe I should have waited for a Searider 4m to pop up onto the market. Sigh...

BTW I will be registering my trip plans with the USCG so that I can hit that little red distress button on the vhf if I'm SOL
Old 09 September 2004, 08:22   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
How sea worthy is my rib?
Adam ask your self how sea worthy am I?
Try some shorter cruises get a feel for the boat & some experience with it!
Nick
Old 09 September 2004, 08:29   #7

Hi Nick,

I'm pretty sea worthy I think. I've sailed many times to the channel islands as well as motored along the coast up to 20 miles in a sib. I'm definitely not green just maybe a little short on knowledge for performance characteristics between different style/size ribs.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:38   #8

Town: vienna
Boat name: --
Make: avon
Length: 4,7
Engine: Mercury 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dodl
Hello,

Nicks posting is a very good one

I want to cross the adriatic sea with my Avon searider (which by the way looks exactly like yours, just a deeper V).
But i did only short turns around 10-20miles near the coast this year. And built up confidence slowly. I also was a bit concerned about the seaworthiness of my boat, but now in August i became very confident when i had some pretty rough sea and had to go to the marina under all circumstances. After the first few waves i found it to be great fun and was impressed of the performance of the boat. I asked about the speed in choppy water here though
Because there where some RIB's out there, and they were faster. But then, they were bigger too...
Now that i know the boat can handle this easily, i plan to do my trans-adriatic trip next year in April.

I think the boat will take much more, than the driver in many cases. And thats the dangerous thing, when mistakes happen because you are unexperienced with your boat and it's very special behaviour. At least my Searider has some characteristics, i have to take care about.
On the other side, if you have an excellent weather forecast, 20 miles is not that much with your boat.

cu
martin
Old 09 September 2004, 08:46   #9

Although you've a.......

.....shallow "V" she still remains a very seaworthy craft. Of course she'll not ride as well as a RIB with a deeper v however, you're just as able to handle the same sort of conditions (flood gates opening) as something the same lenght (and longer) with a deeper v. All it means is you'll have to work a little harder at the helm, take it slower and proceed with a little more caution. That said, in nice conditions you'll motor along just as well as anyone else. It's alittle like sailing, the larger yachts beat the smaller, however, they all get there in the end, maybe a little wetter but in my experience (1987 ARC Race in a 23 foot enginless Sloop) 100% the wiser and more experienced for the challenge.

Let us know how you get on...,
Old 09 September 2004, 08:49   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I see you have a 30hp, is it a permanent fit to the boat, or clamp on? If it's clamp on I would add a chain or something to help stop it jumping off if you hit any large waves etc. This once saved me from loosing propulsion overboard, on an offshore trip once. At least I kept the engine and could re-clamp it.... and continue.

Also ensure you have multiple fuel tanks & lines in case one gets contaminated or has some other issue. Maybe add an inline water seperator, filter ... these have saved the day for many people.

Have fun ...

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 08:55   #11

We have another....

..Dave Manning here. Andy, do you wear two condoms ?
Old 09 September 2004, 08:56   #12

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
..Dave Manning here. Andy, do you wear two condoms ?
That depends on the girl and how much beer I have had!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 09:00   #13

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Well said, Graeme, you know you can be very sensible when you want to be, and I have awarded you a greenie in recognition of the fact.

Boatster, you may be interested to know that one of Ribnet's more intrepid members, one David Manning, once crossed the Irish Sea, a distance of some 70 miles and not known for its calm waters, in a 4m Avon Searider. Vicious rumours circulated that he'd attached his bow line to the stern of the Irish Ferries fast catamaran, but these were later proved unfounded. 4m RIBs also completed a circumnavigation of the British Isles a couple of years ago, all of which does show what can be achieved in small RIBs. As MeMe says, you just have to slow down a bit more than the bigger boys.

Phil (I've got a small one, too) Davies
Old 09 September 2004, 09:02   #14

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
And don't forget Keith Hart's intrepid adventures in his SIB! http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2665
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 09:03   #15

That'll be Keith (I've got a REALLY small one, but by God I know what to do with it) Hart.
Old 09 September 2004, 14:03   #16

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Boatster

Trust me.

I've done bags of motoring in poor conditions this year in a boat with a mid V Hull of only 3.6 meters in length.

What I found was that the boat could do it only it got very slow when the waves picked up. Also I got very wet and sometimes would have 4 inches of water inside if I got two waves in quick succession in the boat. Luckily I had an electric bilge pump.

By slow I mean I was stuck to about 5 mph. It took ages to go anywhere but I got there in the end.

If your confident you can do it then give it a go. Best bet would be to go along with another boat though.

If you are happy with the servicability of your boat then give it a go.

Best of luck let us all know how you got on.

Regards Nick R.
Old 09 September 2004, 14:21   #17

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
4m RIBs also completed a circumnavigation of the British Isles a couple of years ago, all of which does show what can be achieved in small RIBs. As MeMe says, you just have to slow down a bit more than the bigger boys.

Phil (I've got a small one, too) Davies
Point of order Mr Davies, most of the RB4 RiBS were nearer 5m. The 4m Searider that entered retired on the first day. Their problem (apart from a crew injury) was mainly the amount of kit they had to carry overloaded the boat!

That being said, big things can be done in small boats if you are sensible and go out in the right conditions. I am damn sure that going offshore california probably doesn't need so much in the way of thermals as going offshore UK!!

Alan (I used to have a large one) W!
Old 09 September 2004, 14:33   #18

Yes, they mentioned on the video that Seal's engine had been swamped on the first day - pity, I'd love to have seen how it fared compared to the Ribcraft 4.8's. I guess that 0.8m does make a noticeable difference.

As a matter of interest, Alan, how does a 4.8m RIB compare to say a 5.5m in terms of seaworthiness and having to slow down in rough seas etc.?
Old 09 September 2004, 18:23   #19

Thanks a bunch guys. I am typically a very safety minded person. I will definitely take some time to understand my boat in nearshore conditions before heading on any long trips. I just wasn't sure if it was considered suicidal to go offshore in a boat like mine. Would I be wise to get an electrical bilge pump? Thanks again.

Adam
Old 09 September 2004, 19:35   #20

It's the "Forums" pleaseure.....

....in fact from such questions we all learn a little.