Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 July 2015, 18:22   #1

Length: 3m +
How often have you had to replace a CO2 cylinder +/- a UML Auto Thinghy

So I've had an Auto life jacket about 5 years now. The UML bit was due for renewal soon anyway, but then I had a little mishap last week and now need to repalce the UML and the cylinder!

It got me thinking. I don't carry replacements in my kit bag which had it happened at the begining of the week might have ruined my week away as there was no-where nearby would sell stuff like that (Actually I had a bouyancy aid in the car so I may have been fine). So I was thinking should I be buying 2 complete replacements... but in the otherhand the UML was at end of life so will it just sit in a kit bag and fester?

So wondering how often relative to the amoutn of boating people are doing are they having to re-arm a LJ? I know thats going to depend on conditions etc. But my activation was a stupid moment not a life-saving situation nor a big wave.

Would I be better carrying a spare CO2 but not a UML and can I then install a cylinder without UML to basically make an auto a manual in the event of an unexpected re-arming?
Old 12 July 2015, 18:27   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I've never had to replace a cylinder yet (I know that's tempting fate) but I do carry 2 re-arming kits in case, and a spare manual LJ as I have one.
Old 12 July 2015, 18:44   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
So I've had an Auto life jacket about 5 years now. The UML bit was due for renewal soon anyway, but then I had a little mishap last week and now need to repalce the UML and the cylinder!

It got me thinking. I don't carry replacements in my kit bag which had it happened at the begining of the week might have ruined my week away as there was no-where nearby would sell stuff like that (Actually I had a bouyancy aid in the car so I may have been fine). So I was thinking should I be buying 2 complete replacements... but in the otherhand the UML was at end of life so will it just sit in a kit bag and fester?

So wondering how often relative to the amoutn of boating people are doing are they having to re-arm a LJ? I know thats going to depend on conditions etc. But my activation was a stupid moment not a life-saving situation nor a big wave.

Would I be better carrying a spare CO2 but not a UML and can I then install a cylinder without UML to basically make an auto a manual in the event of an unexpected re-arming?
IMO, you'd be better with a spare LJ (in a way, you had one) - at least an unexpected arrival can wear it. If you have a suite of jackets for boating then maybe a spare kit is a good idea (as one is bound to pop eventually) but I still think a spare jacket in the bag is perfect. I've often had to deploy my spare - a couple of jacket pops but mostly when crew shows up without.
Old 12 July 2015, 19:31   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Never had to replace a CO2 cylinder, but re-arming kits need to be renewed every 3-4 years. Sometimes the little retaining clips (United Moulders) fail, so I carry spares. I carry spare CO2 bottles too having accumulated a couple of spares over the years.
Old 12 July 2015, 21:31   #5

Town: Oakland CA
In the US, I think the bobbin has to be replaced every two years. Not sure about the cylinder. Actually, I probably should look that up, as I have a couple of inflatables...

jky
Old 13 July 2015, 05:51   #6

Jky cylinder doesn't usually have an expiry. They can corrode. They are stamped with a weight. They need weighed and provided they are heavier than stamped and have no corrosion of concern you can still use it.
Old 13 July 2015, 09:40   #7

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
One of mine "went off" and a I need to get a replacement cylinder and whatever else, any links to where I can get them from?
Old 13 July 2015, 12:20   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
most main chandlers stock cylinders & re-arming kits try force 4 chandlers
Old 13 July 2015, 14:54   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Jky cylinder doesn't usually have an expiry. They can corrode. They are stamped with a weight. They need weighed and provided they are heavier than stamped and have no corrosion of concern you can still use it.
Thanks, Shoe;

Sort of what I remembered; I know you can get the bobbin itself as a replacement part; the kit (bobbin and cylinder) aren't a whole lot more.

Now I just need to remember to check when I last changed the bobbins.

jky