Old 15 July 2020, 12:49   #61

Town: London
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
I've asked around and my quote does seem reasonable. The guys I am currently looking at also make XS ribs so they're very good with ribs. They certainly seemed knowledgeable about the searider. I'd only get a new sr4 if it was the same as the old one and I could put my dashboard etc in, and I've been told the new sr4 isn't as good as the old one and that my dash won't fit
I understand your point about not being able to fit a dashboard into a new one however, have you considered a new (slightly modified version) dashboard to fit a new boat? i may be mistaken, but seem to recall Harry Dwyer making a new dashboard for his searider on one of the youtube videos.

Out of interest, where did you get the £8k quote for a new boat?
Old 15 July 2020, 13:25   #62

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver mike View Post
I understand your point about not being able to fit a dashboard into a new one however, have you considered a new (slightly modified version) dashboard to fit a new boat? i may be mistaken, but seem to recall Harry Dwyer making a new dashboard for his searider on one of the youtube videos.

Out of interest, where did you get the £8k quote for a new boat?
Dwyer just modified the dash he had. They just aren't a thing that's made anymore and it'd cost an arm leg and soul to get a mold made up. Xs have said that they could try and mod my dash to fit an xs 450 but I'd rather stick with the sr4.
http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/superbasket/product/1911/Zodiac_Searider_SR4.0_RIB
Old 15 July 2020, 14:48   #63

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Dwyer just modified the dash he had. They just aren't a thing that's made anymore and it'd cost an arm leg and soul to get a mold made up. Xs have said that they could try and mod my dash to fit an xs 450 but I'd rather stick with the sr4.
http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/super...ider_SR4.0_RIB
Could you search for a used dash to modify for a new boat? I'd imagine there will be loads lying around that folk removed that could be picked up cheap if you have time to wait.might be an option if you want to go down the new boat route or a good used hull route
Old 15 July 2020, 16:07   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Could you search for a used dash to modify for a new boat? I'd imagine there will be loads lying around that folk removed that could be picked up cheap if you have time to wait.might be an option if you want to go down the new boat route or a good used hull route
The dash is one part of mine that's in acceptable condition. It's not got 500 holes in it, It's not falling apart. I could try and make a mold from it myself as I have a small amount of experience with composites, but none with working on boats. If it was just gonna be a boat for me and only me I'd consider doing the hull myself and getting it professionally returned but my family and friends go in it too and I wouldn't trust myself working on critical bits
Old 15 July 2020, 17:11   #65

Quote:
The dash is one part of mine that's in acceptable condition. It's not got 500 holes in it, It's not falling apart. I could try and make a mold from it myself as I have a small amount of experience with composites, but none with working on boats. If it was just gonna be a boat for me and only me I'd consider doing the hull myself and getting it professionally returned but my family and friends go in it too and I wouldn't trust myself working on critical bits
You maybe underestimate your abilities its not realy difficult work rather its dirty itchy & unpleasant. That said I enjoy the satisfaction of fixing something myself, im sure if you decided to go down the route of repairs yourself then plenty of folk on here would advise if you were stuck.
Is the dash easily removed without damage to tubes etc? Taking a mould from an existing panel isnt realy difficult either
Doing some of the work yourself would likely halve the expense and give you a great sense of satisfaction
Old 15 July 2020, 17:49   #66

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Doing some of the work yourself would likely halve the expense and give you a great sense of satisfaction
....and extend the timescales by the length of a piece of string.

Not that I'm trying to put you off.
Old 15 July 2020, 17:56   #67

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

Not everyone is like that
Old 15 July 2020, 17:56   #68

Quote:

But he could do the bulk of the work in the offseason and not have the stress of the inevitable delays and excuses from a boat yard.
Getting professionals to do repairs is by no means always a simple straightforward exercise
Old 15 July 2020, 18:06   #69

Quote:
You maybe underestimate your abilities its not realy difficult work rather its dirty itchy & unpleasant. That said I enjoy the satisfaction of fixing something myself, im sure if you decided to go down the route of repairs yourself then plenty of folk on here would advise if you were stuck.
Is the dash easily removed without damage to tubes etc? Taking a mould from an existing panel isnt realy difficult either
Two bolts and a few weird plastic things hold it to the tubes, I've never taken it out before but it can't be that hard. My speciality is in electrical stuff when it comes to mechanical stuff I considered it a significant achievement that I cleared some sand from a needle valve last night to get my old sib engine going (ish) again
I guess it's worth a go trying to sort it out myself, just got no idea where to start or what to do
Old 15 July 2020, 19:19   #70

RIBase
Quote:
But he could do the bulk of the work in the offseason and not have the stress of the inevitable delays and excuses from a boat yard.
Getting professionals to do repairs is by no means always a simple straightforward exercise
I fully agree and as others have shown recently, you can get a very good result - probably better than the professional as time constraints aren't so much of an issue. It is though quite time consuming as most people who have undertaken DIY will testify to.
Old 15 July 2020, 20:39   #71

Quote:
I fully agree and as others have shown recently, you can get a very good result - probably better than the professional as time constraints aren't so much of an issue. It is though quite time consuming as most people who have undertaken DIY will testify to.
Are there any threads on here that detail the process a bit?
Old 16 July 2020, 06:29   #72

RIBase
There are quite a number of threads on here that detail people's RIB refurbishment / restoration / revival. Ribtecer and Stresspill are two that spring to mind recently. Reading the threads will give you an idea of what it entails.

How you approach it is a personal thing. I tend to over research stuff before doing anything.* Others will jump straight in. Both methods have their pro's and con's.

If I was going to list the various stages, they would be as follows:

Structure
Propulsion
Nav, comms etc
Plumbing / pipework
Electrical
Outfit

However as the outfit arrangement may have an impact on the structural arrangement for example, my view is that you need to have worked out 95% of each stage before starting physical work.

Your boat is relatively simple and you are starting off with something that probably only has sentimental value so is quite a good project in that respect.

*with a few unfortunate exceptions where man maths replaced logic.
Old 16 July 2020, 07:29   #73

Quote:
There are quite a number of threads on here that detail people's RIB refurbishment / restoration / revival. Ribtecer and Stresspill are two that spring to mind recently. Reading the threads will give you an idea of what it entails.

How you approach it is a personal thing. I tend to over research stuff before doing anything.* Others will jump straight in. Both methods have their pro's and con's.

If I was going to list the various stages, they would be as follows:

Structure
Propulsion
Nav, comms etc
Plumbing / pipework
Electrical
Outfit

However as the outfit arrangement may have an impact on the structural arrangement for example, my view is that you need to have worked out 95% of each stage before starting physical work.

Your boat is relatively simple and you are starting off with something that probably only has sentimental value so is quite a good project in that respect.

*with a few unfortunate exceptions where man maths replaced logic.
I've got a plan for all of those categories. I was already going to do the electrical crap myself. It's basically just the structure that I'm not that sure about. I'm pretty confident with the rest because the engine is simple and I'm not overcomplicating any electronics or anything. I want a stereo, some lights and that's about it 😊
Old 16 July 2020, 08:32   #74

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
I've got a plan for all of those categories. I was already going to do the electrical crap myself. It's basically just the structure that I'm not that sure about. I'm pretty confident with the rest because the engine is simple and I'm not overcomplicating any electronics or anything. I want a stereo, some lights and that's about it 😊
VHF.?..PLOTTER?
Or just 70's Disco music??....and Lights!?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:59   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
VHF.?..PLOTTER?
Or just 70's Disco music??....and Lights!?
Current use case means it spends 80% of its time as a tender and ski boat for our Weekender with a VHF and plotter. Not to mention it never leaves the Carrick roads where I've sailed all my life and can navigate with my eyes shut. Also I feel like a whole bunch of electronic crap would detract from the looks, it's one thing I really didn't like about Dwyer's build was the dash was so cluttered. I've designed a stealth stereo with no visible bits other than the speakers. On the dash is a compass, a trim gauge that's never worked, nav light switch and bilge pump switch
Old 16 July 2020, 17:14   #76

RIBase
Quote:
It sounds like you are sorted then.
Old 16 July 2020, 18:08   #77

Quote:
It sounds like you are sorted then.
Don't say things like that I'm gonna end up sinking in the middle of the sea