Click Here to Login

Old 29 April 2008, 17:20   #21

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
News said on the radio earlier that they are already demonstrating outside Parliament.
That's good news haulage company's are our best bet...besides boating I also worry about suppliers increasing the cost of goods to me due to increased fuel costs...whereby I have to pass it on to the consumer and then business slows down and on it goes...I am sure probably many of you guys worry about the same thing
Old 29 April 2008, 18:13   #22

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Length: 6m +
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
Tips on Filling your Vehicles...

This is a Message received from a friend:

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.

Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.

In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET’S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.

gaZ
Old 29 April 2008, 19:00   #23

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernithebiker View Post
SO does that mean that when you got out on your 225hp boat, burning gallons of petrol, doing your bit to push petrol prices higher, thus encouraging bio-alternatives to compete, thus removing food producing fields from the market, thus starving poor third worlders........that you feel guilty?
Bio fuels will happen, you have to ask your self some questions
Firstly, there is a global epidemic of obesity,so surlely it must follow that
Eat less and there is more to go round, have a look at what we we all throw in the dustbin the excess is unbelievable.
Some evenings i train with an African, as he pointed out,
The Congo alone is six times the size of France
There is more fresh water and virgin fertile soil in Africa then any where else on earth. and yet they are starving,
so why not use some of that land to produce Bio fuels,
but of course that will never happen as the Arab states wont let it.
The Sunday Times reported awhile ago that the Arab oil producers warned the
USA to stop R & D on drought resistant crops for Bio fuels or they would cut back oil production and that would push the price of oil even higher.
Old 29 April 2008, 21:32   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Have you ever been to the Congo? I can assure you it's not a very nice place. In fact it's no different now than at the time when Stanley found Livingstone. Cannibalism is still rife!!!

Look at Zimbabwe - western countries do NOT see Africa as a good bet any more.

What's wrong with clearing the rainforest to grown biofuels? If you have to ask that then the explanation is pointless.

The ONLY way bio fuels will ever be viable is if the research companies like BP is carrying out comes off - algae that has been genetically midified can be grown in giant cylinders - they will consume CO2 and sunlight and biofuels can then be made from them. Yields are vastly higher than traditional methods.
Old 29 April 2008, 22:06   #25

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
I don't want to destroy the planet any more than you.
The point i was trying to make was that, its not you me or any other normal person that will decide how or if Bio fuels move ahead, Its the Arab states
They own so much of every thing that its not in there interest to let Oil company's do Ground breaking research into Bio fuels as it would be biting the hand that feeds them.
Old 29 April 2008, 22:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
I don't want to destroy the planet any more than you.
The point i was trying to make was that, its not you me or any other normal person that will decide how or if Bio fuels move ahead, Its the Arab states
They own so much of every thing that its not in there interest to let Oil company's do Ground breaking research into Bio fuels as it would be biting the hand that feeds them.
The Arabs have nothing to do with it. If some British biotech firm invents a new process to make oil from plankton or something they will make so much money nothing and nobody will stop them!!!
Old 29 April 2008, 23:04   #27

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
To get back to the original question...

Quote:
How far does the price of fuel have to go...
Probably not as far as you might think. Food and energy prices in the UK have already increased by 20%, the average incremental pay award is 2.5%, and the cost of remortgaging (arrangement fee) can be as much as £1,000 for a fixed 3-5 year period.

Nobody said boating was cheap, especially in terms of routine maintenance and general upkeep, insurance, safety, etc.

The difference here, is that fuel costs are escalating at an alarming rate. It was only last October/November that diesel and unleaded petrol were both at 97p per litre.

Given fuel costs for running a boat and of course the fuel involved in hauling it to the water, it's fast becoming an expensive leisure pursuit.

Most people I'm sure will do what they need to do to keep their RIBs, it is after all one of the reasons why we work. I suppose what will happen is that our boats will get used less, as the cost of running them regularly becomes prohibitive.
Old 30 April 2008, 00:49   #28

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
As much as I hate the price increases, the reality is that I spend far more on gas for my car and truck than I do for my boat... simply because I drive a lot in my business. We are taking other steps to reduce overall fuel consumption... I drive our 4 cyclinder Suburu and the Missus drives the 8 cylinder Tahoe since she puts only a few kilometers on a vehicle every day whereas I would regularly drive 60 - 200 km many days.

I'm considering buying a hybrid 3rd vehicle and just parking the truck unless I need it to haul the boat around~

I guess it comes down what they have always said... If you can afford the boat, you can afford the gas! (And I'm going engine shopping tomorrow!)

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 01:14   #29

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
My equipment burns 130 to 150 gal of diesel a day so the 15 gals of gas in the boat once a week is a drop in the bucket. The cost of fuel and oil changes are hard to swallow but spent 3 years in Germany in the 70's and was paying between 3 and 4 dollars a gal. then so it has to suck now. Hooray for Alan Greenspan and the Feds for their killing of the dollar. Not sure what my carbon footprint is but going to start my own carbon credit scam to help offset the boat polluting ways
Old 30 April 2008, 01:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
As much as I hate the price increases, the reality is that I spend far more on gas for my car and truck than I do for my boat... simply because I drive a lot in my business. We are taking other steps to reduce overall fuel consumption... I drive our 4 cyclinder Suburu and the Missus drives the 8 cylinder Tahoe since she puts only a few kilometers on a vehicle every day whereas I would regularly drive 60 - 200 km many days.

I'm considering buying a hybrid 3rd vehicle and just parking the truck unless I need it to haul the boat around~

I guess it comes down what they have always said... If you can afford the boat, you can afford the gas! (And I'm going engine shopping tomorrow!)
Hybrids are a complete waste of money - a good European diesel can do almost 70mpg now - a Pious works out at about 38mpg but costs 3x as much to buy.
Old 30 April 2008, 01:23   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
My equipment burns 130 to 150 gal of diesel a day so the 15 gals of gas in the boat once a week is a drop in the bucket. The cost of fuel and oil changes are hard to swallow but spent 3 years in Germany in the 70's and was paying between 3 and 4 dollars a gal. then so it has to suck now. Hooray for Alan Greenspan and the Feds for their killing of the dollar. Not sure what my carbon footprint is but going to start my own carbon credit scam to help offset the boat polluting ways
Scam being the word for most of them!!!
Old 30 April 2008, 09:35   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wonder if they have the same right of way as a yacht
As I understand it kite surfers use the same rules of the road as other wind powered vessels (i.e. yachts, dinghies etc). However the kite powered ship is only wind assisted, i.e. it is motorsailing so the colregs would treat it as motorised vessel.
Old 01 May 2008, 09:44   #33

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
It's TAX TAX TAX is the problem. When WILL people learn???
more to the point or when will people do something about it? well today hopefully, go on vote now.

Pete
Old 01 May 2008, 10:39   #34

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
more to the point or when will people do something about it? well today hopefully, go on vote now.

Pete
You think that'll make a difference! They are all fkin shysters.
Old 01 May 2008, 11:48   #35

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You think that'll make a difference! They are all fkin shysters.

Here here - I often have to remind myself of the origin of the word politics

poly - meaning many

AND

ticks - being blood sucking parasites

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 11:49   #36
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
I doubt that they'll cut taxation on fuel. They've only just decided to make us pay full price for the red stuff - so that's how much they are bothered about the leisure boating sector!!

What annoys me is that all these politicians/shysters/a**holes use green arguments to increase taxation. One of these new 'mega' green cars that get free road tax because their emissions are so low actually puts out 50% of the emissions of my Discovery - so why don't they pay half what I pay for the Disco?

And buying a Pious and renewing it every 3 years, as most of them do, what is the carbon footprint of getting a new car every three years, never mind filling it with fuel.

Oh, and Cod, if you think that any of the the 'Oil Producing Nations' would allow a green, viable alternative to fossil fuels to flourish in any way, shape or form, then I wan't some of whatever it is you are smoking. The fact that it is running out only puts those nations in a better position, and in fact they are probbly in the best position to spend the money on an alternative in the first place. HOWEVER - that requires forward thinking, and some consideration for the future, which brings us back to shysters/politicians etc.

Ah...that's better...

Old 01 May 2008, 11:52   #37

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Was thinking last night after being stuck in yet another traffic queue behind yet another stuck-up, fat arsed, middle aged woman on a horse going through the village.

No road tax on horses, graze them on the common for nothing, although I'm sure the local council will get around that ancient right somehow.

I do actually like horses, and am wondering how many lovely old Shires I would need to move the RIB around on its trailer and recover it up the slip at the Camber?

Nasher.
Old 01 May 2008, 12:24   #38

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I do actually like horses, and am wondering how many lovely old Shires I would need to move the RIB around on its trailer and recover it up the slip at the Camber?
One.
Old 01 May 2008, 12:41   #39

Quote:
Was thinking last night after being stuck in yet another traffic queue behind yet another stuck-up, fat arsed, middle aged woman on a horse going through the village.

No road tax on horses, graze them on the common for nothing, although I'm sure the local council will get around that ancient right somehow.

Nasher.
Awesome idea - you could start a new job as well - there's a desperate need for rag and bone men - especially with the price of scrap now!!!
Old 01 May 2008, 13:04   #40

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
I do actually like horses, and am wondering how many lovely old Shires I would need to move the RIB around on its trailer and recover it up the slip at the Camber? Nasher.
There is also some benefits from the by products. After extracting the methane gas (to run the rib on) you package up and sell the organic fertilizer back to the fat arsed middle aged woman for her roses and rhubarb

Do you think that paddock near Malcom has been sold yet, we could be in biz

Pete