Click Here to Login

Old 14 April 2012, 17:00   #1

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
How easy is it to re-rig a RIB?

Hi

I Have an Avon Adventure 4 mtr with the Outhill side by side seating and offset steering console which are pretty useless to my needs. I like the look of the Outhill JC4TA centre console with double seat and am thinking of buying this and fitting myself.

I have a few questions;

Is it a straight forward job?
The console and seats appear to be fixed by large stainless self tappers am I right in thinking this? Where can I get new ones from?
I think my steering cables and throttle cables will be too small - are these easy to measure up, buy and install?
How would you suggest I fill the old holes up in the deck?

Is there anybody in Devon you would recommend to do the job if you don't think its a straight forward job?

Thanks for your help. I know its a lot to ask but Ive never done this before and wanted to see if there are any pitfalls before spending £800 on a new console etc.

Thanks
Old 14 April 2012, 22:27   #2

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Speak to Outhill. They make their stuff in Warwickshire but they also have an outlet in South Devon and will probably be able to help you. I dealt with them earlier this year and they could not be more helpful. Ask for Elaine on the main number on the website.
Old 15 April 2012, 06:07   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Ave a go. Easy enough. Start with your position to boat. Make sure you have a steering wheel to hand and a controller. Golden rule nothing gets in there way. Mark where they go everything else goes round those archs. Measure as many time as you want. But only cut once. Remember some of your fittings have funny footprints. Ie Steering so remember there's a funny shape inside the console
Old 15 April 2012, 09:06   #4

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to ring Outhill and order the console next week. Ill let you know how my fit goes.

Thanks again
Old 16 April 2012, 08:20   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think I have the fitting/rigging guide for my boat ( same ) at home and outhill do specifically say the seats etc shoud be screwed in at certain points on the deck . I assume as there are sections underneath for them to bed in to.

I guess the jockey seat fitting will be the same.

I'll dig the out later tonight and see what they suggest.

Pete
Old 16 April 2012, 08:32   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post
Is it a straight forward job?
Yes

Quote:
The console and seats appear to be fixed by large stainless self tappers am I right in thinking this? Where can I get new ones from?

Correct. You also need to bond the new console down with Sikaflex - this also helps to keep moisture out of the screw holes. You should be able to buy all of this (screws, washers, sikaflex etc) from a local chandlery, or if there isn't one nearby have a look on ebay.

Quote:
I think my steering cables and throttle cables will be too small - are these easy to measure up, buy and install?
If they are too small then replacement is easy. Run a piece of rope/string along where the new cables will go and then measure that. I always add a little on for luck and to allow for movement when tilting/steering the engine. Again you'll find cables on ebay.

Quote:
How would you suggest I fill the old holes up in the deck?
Is the new console going over where the old one is? If it is, and you can't see the holes, then a bit of gelcoat filler will do the job. If it's in a more visible area and theres lots of holes you might want to consider recovering the whole deck with flowcoat for a perfect finish.

Quote:
Is there anybody in Devon you would recommend to do the job if you don't think its a straight forward job?
It's a very easy job, as Biffer says just take your time and make sure you measure everything before cutting holes!
Old 16 April 2012, 10:39   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yep, measure twice, cut once.

Other things to take into account are that the throttle, gear & steering cables all have minimum bend radii, unlike the rope. You might want to use the current cable to sanity check that. you may also find that you can use the old ones - I don't know how your current setup is, but unless you are using under deck trunking, the line from the throttle to the engine on a centre console setul is pretty much a straight line. If you have a slightly convoluted route at the moment you may be surprised how much extra you have hiding in there.

When positioning the throttle, remmebr that it not only needs to be useable at idle, but ideally wants to be in a comfortable position at WOT. If you do a lot of cruising, you may find mounting the remotes at a "funny angle" gives a more ergonomic position. (Mine the lever is at about 20 degrees to horizontal at idle - puts the lever right at my fingertips when standing, and misses my knee nicely at idle. Also puts it right on my knee in reverse, but for a couple of mins whilst manoevering, so I can live with that.

Another thought for the pot: I stand a lot when driving, so have moved my remotes a bit higher than normal - one simple reason - having the throttle that extra 6" off the floor means I can stand and reach it comfortably. It's a little high when sitting, but on a par with the wheel. Always worth a double check before you drill.

If you think you'll be buying new toys (plotters, replacing your Icom 421 with a 503 witha bigger case etc) remember to reserve space for them too.....
Old 17 April 2012, 07:07   #8

Thanks gents

Appreciate the help there.

Have another job on now which may need doing pronto!

I went to Lundy Island yesterday from Crow Point. It was a great day but whilst recovering the boat off the beach onto the trailer the tube snagged on the trailer leg and went through the first layer of blue material. Its not leaking but I can see orange material below. Its only 3 mm approx in size. Whats the best way of fixing this?

Talking to Outhill today. I will ask if they suggest fixing points to certain areas of decking.

Thanks for now
Old 17 April 2012, 07:47   #9

Town: Devon
Make: Lomac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
Hi

You could try Seaswift in Kingsteignton. (www.seaswift.co.uk).

They are the importers/riggers of X-Pro ribs, and keep a good range of consoles and jockeys in stock for boats from 3.2 to 6.6 metres. Prices are very reasonable and the team at Seaswift offer great service.

They might even be able to repair the snag at the same time.

Check out the attached example Jockey fitted to one of their boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22032012493.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	67260  
Old 17 April 2012, 07:51   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Likewise Wolf Rock marine in Kingsbridge are recommended. They should be able to supply a console for you as well, which may end up being considerably cheaper than Outhill (who are well known for being expensive).