Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 June 2014, 20:23   #1
sea

Length: 3m +
how do the tubes on an ocean rhib not get beat off?

I always wondered seeing vids and pictures of rhibs 7.5m plus in the ocean pounding and jumping off waves in big swells/seas. All that force that is subjected surprisingly the tubes never get beat off. I know on larger ones they are bolted not glued but still just flaps of hypalon right? what gives or should I say what gives the inherent strength of the tubes not coming loose in rough pounding seas? If someone was to stuff the bow in a big one would it survive same fate?
Old 16 June 2014, 21:33   #2

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I got 160 reasons for you. On my boat it's 160 bolts, give or take. The hypalon flange is like 3/8 of an inch thick. I'm sure there is an engineer who can explain it better, but id bet it's something along the lines of the water not being able to apply enough force to a tube for it to detach before it either bursts or can flex enough to ride it out. I'd guess the attachment point is not the weak link

Jason
Old 16 June 2014, 21:47   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
The assumption that tubes don't 'ever' separate from the hull is incorrect. There are quite a few pics of that here in various threads. The bow peels back quite dramatically and its pretty catastrophic for both the boat and crew.
Old 16 June 2014, 23:21   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
The assumption that tubes don't 'ever' separate from the hull is incorrect. There are quite a few pics of that here in various threads. The bow peels back quite dramatically and its pretty catastrophic for both the boat and crew.
Indeed - some of the more 'extreme' boats have a strap that goes over the top the tube each side of the bow to prevent them being detached / stop them being ripped right back if they start to go.
Old 17 June 2014, 17:14   #5
sea

amazing though when you think of the abuse in rough seas/ rescues. They are certainly well engineered and tested before production.
Old 17 June 2014, 17:22   #6

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
I have had tubes separate on a 5m RIB. Not a good feeling considering it's what keeps the boat afloat.

Luckily I nursed it home without them becoming completely detached.

This model had them glued on.
Old 17 June 2014, 18:38   #7

Length: 5m +
I know someone that tore the tubes off a 4m rib all the way to the back end of the bench seat. I think they'd been sent out on a bit of a search and rescue mission for a missing flotilla yacht in a nice sunny resort somewhere abroad. Apparently it was a bit too rough for the rib and they ended up stuffing the bow into a wave a bit too hard. :S

Obviously a proper offshore rib is going to be properly engineered for that kind of stuff. This was just a titchy little rib meant for making sure that kids in Picos don't drown or get blown out to sea. :L
Old 17 June 2014, 21:33   #8

Town: alnwick
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
I bought a 4.5 m assault from humber this December and 3 weeks ago I split the material which holds the tubes on . the repaired it under warranty