Interesting accounts Ezgoing & Stormchild

Old 19 October 2006, 22:34   #22

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Hmmm...

Second experience in my rib was a small craft advisory. Six foot peaky seas. Tried em slow, ok, tried em medium, ok. Fast, Bumpy, airborn, and a bit hard to hold on: Fun as hell!!!! Did I mention the snow, and the fact that no one else was remotely close? Try to keep your bow trimmed into the sea.. Confused or sideways seas: Tell passengers to puke over the side, and not on the floor, also, rain gear is mandatory. Following sea: When there over 6 foot, try to ride the trough bow down, under 6, slow plane, be quick on the throttles so if you come off plane the wave behind you doesn't make you do an immediate 90 (broach). I might be full of it, but it works for me. Worst mishap of mine was in a following sea, had the trim set for most efficient plane (bow up) and was on a slow plane in 6 foot seas, came over a trough and the nose fell and hit two feet below the forward wave causing an instant stop, 30 foot vertical wall of water, and my face crashing into the lexan window breaking all of the nylon bolts. Ouch!
Last but not least, whether you think it or not, dont yell oh sh...., that really scares the passengers.

Jimmy

P.S. If my driving advice sucks, please let me know, I'll stop giving it.
Old 19 October 2006, 23:08   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
dont yell oh sh...., that really scares the passengers.

Jimmy

That sounds like good advice!

It can work the other way round as well - Louise tells me that the scariest time she's ever known was when I went completely silent! It was when we went through the Dover Straits and whilst I'm not one to quote wave heights as getting out of the boat with a tape measure isn't the easiest thing to do, but these waves were as tall as the boat is long, and with a frequency roughly similar, it felt like the RIB was standing on her nose on the way down and on her stern climbing up again!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2006, 23:28   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I was out in conditions like that a while ago Richard and to be honest I prefered it to the confused much smaller waves the other day. Having said that a mate of mine didn't though - he also went very quiet!!!
Old 19 October 2006, 23:31   #25

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Mmmm... trouble is that you're totally at the mercy of big seas like that. In confused seas, just open the throttle and get on top of it.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2006, 06:33   #26

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
On the day I was out, once I'd got into the shallows and a bit of cover, I took sometime to study the sea's and watch what was happening. Looking back now I'm trying to remember exactly what the conditions were like, the wave patterns were confused and there was froth and spit everywhere. I think opening the throttle and getting up on top of it would have been at best a ticket to A&E. I just didnt have the hull length for sea's like that in what is a fairly light boat.
Old 21 October 2006, 07:25   #27

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Looking back now I'm trying to remember exactly what the conditions were like, the wave patterns were confused and there was froth and spit everywhere. I think opening the throttle and getting up on top of it would have been at best a ticket to A&E. I just didnt have the hull length for sea's like that in what is a fairly light boat.
Agree with you Stormchild. There's a huge difference in how Merlin (6.5)handles in all seas in comparison to Zebedee (5). (Rogue Wave says he now understands why we were so often kitted out in drysuits & helmets on Zeb!!!)

We had to pace things differently on the 5m, tackle it wave by wave & sometimes take our time progress-wise. A bit more boat-length meant we could push pace a little more on 'confused' seas. Slightly drier ride too!!!! A substantially longer RIB (say, 10m +) can really roll with the punches.

(Not sure about using peeps up front as ballast though!!!! It can be a dangerous place to be... Although it was tried on Merlin once to aid in crossing a bar at low tide!!!! )

Us
Old 21 October 2006, 11:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post

(Not sure about using peeps up front as ballast though!!!! It can be a dangerous place to be... Although it was tried on Merlin once to aid in crossing a bar at low tide!!!! )

Us
Not as dangerous a place to be as in the drink!!!
Old 21 October 2006, 11:53   #29

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Codprawn??... in the drink!!!
There's got to be a story there Senor Codprawn.

Go on (go on go on)

Old 21 October 2006, 15:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post
There's got to be a story there Senor Codprawn.

Go on (go on go on)

No thank God - water is a lot colder today!!! Only know cos I was checking for barnacles - they are coming back already but my test patches of antifoul seem to be working.

Did almost lose a mate over the side the other day though - waves were so confused and he staggered into me - fortunately I don't budge much when collided with....
Old 22 October 2006, 20:07   #31

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
If you made it back to the dock it can't be that bad Jimmy!

As a fellow 590-er, you might be interested in knowing that I picked up my boat slightly used after the Police crew that was using it, stuffed the nose and did and end-over-end roll, in 12 foot (supposedly) waves in Lake Ontario. The tubes were underinflated, and the hull had a bunch of water in it to complicate things. I have since spoken to one of the guys on board and I guess it was a pretty exciting ride.

Also, I was recently down at the local Hurricane dealer and he had a Navy 1010 down there for re-wiring after it was flipped with 10 guys on board in 30' seas off Nova Scotia. I can't imagine that the crew wasn't beat up pretty well, but the Navy wouldn't comment. The boat was powered by twin 350s OBs I believe, but they weren't on the boat anymore!

These RIBS are awesome boats, but they aren't able to make up for every mistake made by the crew!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2006, 12:50   #32

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Endo

Wow, I couldn't imagine that boat going over forward, musta been a pretty nasty ride. I wonder what the driver did wrong? I never travel underinflated, and I am allways making sure my bilge pumps work well. Sounds interesting.
Old 25 October 2006, 01:15   #33

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
I rolled a 12 ft. Metzler (german sib) nose over stern years ago in 12 to 14 ft waves, that 20 hp. Merc was not going to help in those wave sets! I sure as hell would not want to roll my current boat, especially since it would be take some seriously nasty stuff to roll it. Big waves can be fun, but comes a point where you should just leave her tied at the dock...