Old 02 August 2006, 06:34   #1
neb

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Neb nagoh
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Yam AETO
Holy Contamination Batman!

How would you feel if you bought a used RIB from a dealership that was selling the boat on behalf of a customer.

A fitted cover was provided in the cost.

You spent 2 weeks cleaning up the rib and then fitted the cover only to find the cover was contaminated with a chemical that turned your tubes from white into patchy orange that won't come off?

Your thoughts please.
Old 02 August 2006, 07:26   #2

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Not happy. Regardless of who they were selling it for the transaction was with them and I would be looking to them (the dealer) to sort it out!
Old 02 August 2006, 07:50   #3
neb

Latest responses from the dealer:

Talked to the previous owner at length last week, he said he has no idea what it could be, the cover was on all winter, he took it off when he towed it to our yard ,we didn't fit the cover, it stayed rolled up in the aft of the rib where you found it. we were just the agent for the previous owner, we charged him £150 commission to cover the advertising cost . he isn't prepared to offer any compensation. so not much I can do. I can forward a bottle of ribshine which is a strong rib cleaner, it normally works very well.

//////
I refused this offer of free Ribshine and got this response from the dealer:
/////

I guess you had better get some advice then and start proceedings.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 02 August 2006, 08:24   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You won't like this but

That makes them brokers for a private sale not dealers regarding the sale of your rib and makes the transation a private sale. It's a bit naughty not telling you that though-I wonder if you've got some form of redress because they didn't say?
Does it say anywhere on your paperwork from them that it was a brokered private sale?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2006, 08:35   #5
neb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Does it say anywhere on your paperwork from them that it was a brokered private sale?
Nope, just gave me a reciept for the debit card transaction.
Old 02 August 2006, 08:39   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Have u got any idea what the orange stuff is? Are you able to post a photo of the affected area....
Old 02 August 2006, 08:43   #7
neb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Have u got any idea what the orange stuff is? Are you able to post a photo of the affected area....
This is the inside of the cover after cleaning.

I'll post a pic of the tubes as soon as I get my boat back from having the outboard serviced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc02560.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	21313  
Old 02 August 2006, 08:55   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Could it be that your cleaning product left a solvent which reacted with the cover's pigment?
Old 02 August 2006, 09:03   #9
neb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Could it be that your cleaning product left a solvent which reacted with the cover's pigment?
No, the stuff on the cover has marks from trainers/boots where it has been trodden over , looks like a body filler or similar. I guess someone has used the cover as a dust sheet. Its tacky like bluetac, but cream in colour as shown.
Old 02 August 2006, 16:01   #10

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Have you left the boat to air in direct sunlight? - the UV from the sun may bleach it out?

When I got mine I was convinced (like you after 2 weeks cleaning) that after I had put the cover on and then removed it a day or so later that something had made the dark blue wear patches on the tubes go white in stain shapes - I left the cover off for a day and the sun dried it out and it has now gone - turns out when the cover collects water in a certain point it impregnates through into the rubber wear pads and turns them an odd colour

Maybe you could try Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care (I use it on my rib and it does remove quite tough stains and adds a UV protective layer that prevents faid to the tubes) - it has cleaning agents in it - not sure what to do if it is a chemical reaction mark though...Maybe try ringing Autoglym - They have an in-house Lab which tests reactions on a whole range of materials and what effect their products have on them. They would be able to tell you what the contamination is if you could supply them with a sample...their number is 01462 677766. (my dad had a odd pink stain all over his boat covers once, and it even got on our rib on the back of the boat - Autoglym told us what it was and what to remove it with - turns out it was a fungus - nothing we tried would remove it!

If it is permanantley marked though and they (the dealer) won't even offer a partial refund (they should have valeted the rib and covers if they are a half reputable dealer) then I would proceed in trying to recover some of your loss - and then name and shame the dealer on here.
Old 02 August 2006, 16:08   #11

Actually, thinking about it - if the cover has been rolled up in a damp environment it could be a sort of bacteria that has transfered onto the tubes - the stains we had on our boat covers and rib were removed by a chemical (will ask my dad if he can remember what it was) - this was about 10 years ago, - the stains were a pinky/orange and started on just one cover and spread over all of them - I will see if I can find out more and get back to you on here...
Old 02 August 2006, 21:05   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
So, YOU fitted the contaminated cover to YOUR boat - footprints / body filler and all? Did you not notice the condition of the cover before YOU put it on?
Nothing to do with the vendor I feel.

The Dealer was not the vendor by the sounds of things in the same way that an estate agent does not sell you a house. Would you have redress against an estate agent if the house you just bought needed some work that you had not discovered when making your purchase. No.

Unfortunately I feel that you have just been unlucky and will have deal with the problem by yourself.
Old 02 August 2006, 21:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
Unfortunately I feel that you have just been unlucky and will have deal with the problem by yourself.
Id agree with this too, but offering a tub of cleaner takes the p*** a bit! If it was my business and I had ribs/boats for sale on my yard/in my window i'd at least make sure they were clean and in a presentable/saleable state...if i wanted to sell them that is! (no matter if they were stock or sold on behalf) - Id be pretty hacked off If I spent £x-K's on a boat and got it home for this to happen.

I suppose the dealer was only making a small amount on it, but this is the risk they take as the intermediate party...