Old 19 March 2013, 15:17   #1

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
hollow rope ??????

Hollow rope, can some one tell me what its called? You normally have it on a bought ski rope handle or bridle kit
Simply folds into it self and the more strain applied to it the more it grips it self?
Very vague I know but I have some that I need to use , but am short some what, and for the life of me I can not remember where I purchased it nor what to even Ask for
Old 19 March 2013, 15:26   #2

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
Hollow rope, can some one tell me what its called? You normally have it on a bought ski rope handle or bridle kit
Simply folds into it self and the more strain applied to it the more it grips it self?
Very vague I know but I have some that I need to use , but am short some what, and for the life of me I can not remember where I purchased it nor what to even Ask for
Not sure of the material you are asking for, but the same construction, and method of splicing is used for Spectra, or Dyneema ropes. It has very little stretch, (IRO 2%) floats, and has the same strength as wire of the same diameter.

Hellishly expensive if it is the same stuff. (probably about 5 to 10 pounds per metre, depending on size)

Also used on winches for off roader vehicles as well.

And ships mooring lines, tug boat lines etc etc.

Good stuff though!
Old 19 March 2013, 15:26   #3

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
I iitially said Floating !!

Are you talking about the stuff you splice back on its self ?
Old 19 March 2013, 15:34   #4

like this in black?

but slightly different looking vague i know will take picture when i get home later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splice_double-braid-lg.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	77771  
Old 19 March 2013, 16:42   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Hollow braid polypropylene rope is probably what you are thinking of. It tends to be stretchy, unlike Spectra, and can be opened up and inserted back thru itself. It is a rather slippery material though, so if you want it to hold put a couple zip ties in it, or sew it. Most any boating store should stock it as do some hardware stores. Amazon is probably the cheapest place to buy bulk, and of course ebay is worth a look.

I use the stuff above for tag lines to hold scuba gear, floating on the surface, although I have started to replace them with webbing that has a bungee inside for more give in the waves. Plus the webbing doesn't have that loop failure issue since it is sewn. Although with zip ties the poly has never failed. I use stainless bolt snaps on each end. Oh and I have a couple hundred feet of poly I use for a current line that has a buoy attached to the end.

Ski ropes are poly, since you want stretch; wakeboard ropes are spectra since you don't want stretch.
Old 19 March 2013, 17:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Hollow braid polypropylene rope is probably what you are thinking of. It tends to be stretchy, unlike Spectra, and can be opened up and inserted back thru itself. It is a rather slippery material though, so if you want it to hold put a couple zip ties in it, or sew it. Most any boating store should stock it as do some hardware stores. Amazon is probably the cheapest place to buy bulk, and of course ebay is worth a look.

I use the stuff above for tag lines to hold scuba gear, floating on the surface, although I have started to replace them with webbing that has a bungee inside for more give in the waves. Plus the webbing doesn't have that loop failure issue since it is sewn. Although with zip ties the poly has never failed. I use stainless bolt snaps on each end. Oh and I have a couple hundred feet of poly I use for a current line that has a buoy attached to the end.

Ski ropes are poly, since you want stretch; wakeboard ropes are spectra since you don't want stretch.
Many thanks thinking that the right stuff of searching now
Old 19 March 2013, 17:20   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I remembered it is also sometimes called "Diamond Braid" too.

FWIW I am not a big fan of the stuff.

What are you trying to do?
Old 19 March 2013, 21:13   #8

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
It's called hollow braid polypropylene...

I have got some if you need any??
Old 19 March 2013, 21:30   #9

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
self splicing rope 85p + vat /mtr black or grey
Old 19 March 2013, 22:16   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Hollow braid polypropylene rope is probably what you are thinking of. It tends to be stretchy, unlike Spectra, and can be opened up and inserted back thru itself.
Should note that it is the construction of the rope that is stretchy, not the fiber itself (unlike nylon which has some elasticity in the fiber.) The hollow braid construction allows the rope to be compressed in length (resulting in the hollow opening up) or expanded in length (causing the hollow to close down.) As far as I know, hollow braid is only available with polypropylene. Never seen it in anything else.

Hollow braid is not the same as diamond braid, which is usually a solid 12 (or 16, I think) strand braid.

jky