Old 02 September 2001, 14:42   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3.8
Engine: 15hp
Holidays where its warmer !

Hi ! I'm a new member encouraged by the postings from owners of small Ribs and inflatables. I have a 3.8m Bombard Aerotec with a Suzuki 15hp 2 stroke. We've only had it for 15 months but its portability (on top, or in, a Ford Galaxy) has meant we have enjoyed using it on the Severn, Tamar, Fowey, and in and out of Christchurch harbour. Some time I hope to move on to a medium sized Rib.

However I would like to enjoy a bit of Blue sea (and sky). I hear there is a need for licenses in many European countries. Can someone advise on this, and are there any good locations or travel companies going to Southern Europe that make it easy to get a rib/inflatable in warmer waters.

Chris Thorpe
Old 02 September 2001, 15:26   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Yessss...I just knew there were a lot of us with small ones out there! If you fancy some boating up in the Scottish Higlands Chris I will be up there at the end of the month. I am planning trips out around the Summer Isles and Kylesku. Just drop me an e-mail.

Keith Hart
Old 02 September 2001, 15:34   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Just had a thought (now there 's something new!), Chris why not send in a picture of your boat?

Keith Hart
Old 03 September 2001, 05:42   #4

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Warm waters

Guys I've told you before. There is no place on earth for ribing like Greece. Don't foget that we 've got the longest coast line in the world. Water temp around 25 Celcius. Water color BLUE (the Big Blue was filmed here). Skies clear all day long. Avoid comming to Greece in August (when beaches are more crowded than Syntagma square) and you'll be rewarded.
Let's take for instance today (3/9/01) Temp in Athens 24 - 32. Wind WNW 4 B. (Open Aegean N 6B).

Michael
Old 03 September 2001, 06:32   #5

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
Hi Chris,

Greece is a good place if you want to enjoy blue sky and sea.

Yes, you need a licence in Greece in order to use a boat.

However you need the licence only if your engine is bigger (has more power) than 15 HP.

In your case you don't need a Licence .

Furthermore, you need to have an insurance for damages that you may do in third parties (swimmers, other boats etc).

All these for greek registered boats.

I am not sure (I have to check with the coastal authorities) , these rules do not apply for boats not registered in greece. I've read in the past that when it comes to certification and licences boats travel under the law of thier country , all over the world.

In terms of weather, avoid the Aegean sea from Mid July to end of August. There is a special wind called "meltemi" which blows from late morning and stops in the evening, and can be pretty strong 6 to 9 B.

The Ionian sea is a good alternative (I've tried these summer).
Calmer seas and excellent beaches.

Although I now own a 5M rib, I am still using my 3.80 Bombard. In the past I had excellent vacations by taking the boat in an island using the ferry, and then coast by coast doing the round of the island.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Regards

Dimitris.
Old 03 September 2001, 07:11   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Dimitris

I would be interested to know whether the local licensing rules apply to foreign registered boats. If you can get an answer, please do post it here!

Thanks
John
Old 03 September 2001, 09:08   #7

John,

I contacted the coastal authorities by phone and they told me
that the local licensing rules DO NOT APPLY to foreign registered boats, unless they intend to have the boat in Greece in a permanent basis.

They also told me that once someone arrives in greece he has to go to the coastal office and declare his intend of using his boat in the greek waters.

There is a fee for this, it costs 20 pounds apprx.

Furthmore he signs a declaration that the boat is legal and carries all the necessary documents according to the rules of the country in which the boat is registered.

Probably the boat must be insured for damages to third parties. They are not sure and they are going to call me back.

In addition, If someones drives in Greece he has to declare the boat in the Custom's office as well.

However, to make it sure I've posted a letter asking for an official answer.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Dimitris
Old 05 September 2001, 16:50   #8

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3.8
Engine: 15hp
Thanks for the responses. If any one knows whether the Greek regulations are standard to other countries e.g France, Spain etc. I'd be interested. Has anyone come across any holiday companies that provide Ribs ? I like the idea of getting my boat into Greek waters, but I'm not sure I want the transport hassle !

PS Keith I fancy Scotland as well, but It'll have to wait - I'm out of holidays!
Old 05 September 2001, 17:58   #9

Hi,

Greece has it's own regulations for Greek Registered boats and I am sure that they are different from most European countries.

The fact that it does not impose these rules to foreign registered boats derives from international law (99 % sure) and as such I think the same applies in most countries.

I was speaking to a friend who lives in Belgium , owns a RIB and uses it all over Europe.

He insists that according to international law he must obey the belgian licence and certification rules for his belgian registered boat, no matter where on earth he sails.

I've already asked him for the proper documentation and I will keep you posted.

As far as renting a RIB in Greece , I am not aware of such services and I will be surprised if they exist.

Regards

Dimitris
Old 05 September 2001, 18:54   #10

Town: Karlstad
Make: Viking
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90
Send a message via ICQ to sasa
Croatia:
I am pretty much sure you will need a license if you want to use your boat in Croatia. Normally, the lowest level license should be enough. One does see police boats very often, but it is very unlikely that you will be stopped if you own rather small inflatable.
You need to pay a fee when entering the country (I don't remember exactly how much, but not more than £30). I'm not sure about the third-party insurance, but it's a very prudent thing to have one. You never know what can happen.

I have never been to Greece, but I would imagine that the conditions are similar in Croatia. The Adriatic is still clean and clear; the weather is very stable during summer. A lot of islands, but not that many sand beaches. Sharp rocks can be very punishing to inflatable boats! It is helpful if you can find someone with local knowledge.

Sweden:
No license needed. No entry fees. Sweden is part of the Schengen agreement and that means that special rules apply if you enter the country by boat. Nobody seems to know exactly what rules apply, though.

Weather in Sweden? Well, I would imagine just like the U.K., colder during winter (most lakes and large parts of Baltic are frozen!). Choppy seas, especially in the Baltic Sea and the big lakes (Vänern, Vätern).

If any of you ever decide to visit either Sweden or Croatia let me know!

Sasa