Old 13 July 2006, 12:47   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Holes in transom

I've just taken the trim tab brackets off of my little Zodiac so that I could fit some launch wheels which has now exposed 3 or 4 screw holes each side of the transom below the water line.

Should I plug these holes by replacing the screws alone (which would look a bit odd because they're countersunk) or should I fill them with silicone or something similar?

If I leave them as they are is it likely to have a detrimental effect and how cafeful DO you have to be with minor bits of exposed wood on the transom eg. couple of chips around the holes I have drilled for the wheel mounting brackets?

Thanks
Andy
Old 13 July 2006, 13:30   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Drill the holes out a tiny bit with a counter sinking bit so the edges are a bit smoother, then fill with gel-coat filler (comes in a tube, 2 part stuff). Put some in the hole and cover with masking tape so its smooth. Leave it for an hour, take the tape off, and rub down with some very fine wet and dry until its smooth. Finish it off with some cutting compound on a rag.
Old 13 July 2006, 18:20   #3

Thanks for that Tim

The problem I have is that the holes are below the level of where the (PVC) floor is folded around and stuck to the transom so your method would be hard to pull off unfortunately. Although because of this they are bearly visable so from a cosmetic point of view I'm not too worried.

I am obviously concearned that water will get in and damage the structure of the transom, so if this is the case I may just buy a few round headed stainless screws of the same size to plug the holes. If I do this is it worth using a small amount of sealer on each screw or is there no real need?
Old 13 July 2006, 18:25   #4
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Andy i have the launching wheels fitted on mine but i still have the trim tab brackets on. My wheels were fitted my the dealer. Why do you have to remove the trim tab brackets???

James
Old 13 July 2006, 21:59   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Fill the holes with something like 3M 5200 (Sikaflex would probably work as well; what you need is something that will hold up underwater.) Epoxy would work as well.

jky
Old 13 July 2006, 22:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S
Andy i have the launching wheels fitted on mine but i still have the trim tab brackets on. My wheels were fitted my the dealer. Why do you have to remove the trim tab brackets???

James
I used to have a bigger Zodiac (Futura) with the manufacturer launch wheels and found them a total pain in the arse to use, having to un-screw them to launch and again to retrieve... it's a lot of messing about when you're beach hopping

So this time around I remembered a discussion on here about 'launch wheels' and found the general opinion of most (Codders I think being one of them) was that the up-and-over type were best... and I have to agree that they are much better! You can't use them with trim tabs though due to the way they swing down in to position.

Thanks for the advice jyasaki but I think that replacing the screws seems like an easier option considering their location(surrounded by PVC).
Old 14 July 2006, 13:41   #7
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
I know what you mean i find the best thing to do is to fit/remove when the boat is in the water then you don't have to lift the boat to put the wheels on.

James