Old 28 September 2014, 07:26   #1

Town: West Kirby
Length: 5m +
Highfield Ocean Master 540

I am seriously considering buying a Highfield OM540 and was wondering if anyone had any views or comments about these boats. I am looking for a RIB that will do the normal family stuff but also cut it in the rough stuff in terms of a good soft ride in waves, no slamming etc. any help would be most appreciated.
Old 28 September 2014, 07:58   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Fisherman View Post
I am seriously considering buying a Highfield OM540 and was wondering if anyone had any views or comments about these boats.
looks like you asked the same question last weekend - were you hoping for more replies? Highfield is a relatively new brand so its unlikely that many people have a properly informed opinion - but search the forum and you will find some comments on the brand in general (mostly positive) and how their boats (bigger than this?) handled the round Ireland "race" about a year ago (again positive feedback).

If YOU really want to know how the handle you'd be far better going for a test drive.
Quote:
I am looking for a RIB that will do the normal family stuff but also cut it in the rough stuff in terms of a good soft ride in waves, no slamming etc. any help would be most appreciated.
Anyone who claims a 5.4m rib won't slam in the rough stuff is talking pish. Some boats are definitely worse than others (and some are really bad) but I think any RIB can be made to slam if you drive it badly enough in the right/wrong conditions. Its all subjective based on helmsmans ability, what else he has driven, the conditions - and what they consider rough.
Old 28 September 2014, 08:15   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
and how their boats (bigger than this?) handled the round Ireland "race" about a year ago (again positive feedback).
Err, yeah. The boats handled it just fine. The crews got the cr@p beat out of them. "Pounding" was the word I heard. In fairness, it WAS rough and they were long days, but I'd echo Poly's opinion about smaller RIBs and roughish water - they're all going to bang around once on the plane.

BTW Poly, have you seen my duck? I was only checking this thread 'cos I thought I heard quacking...
Old 28 September 2014, 08:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
BTW Poly, have you seen my duck? I was only checking this thread 'cos I thought I heard quacking...
Listen carefully, you might even find your duck's sounding a little hoarse... Falcated duck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but its had a long journey !
Old 28 September 2014, 08:57   #5

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
It looks like if you open 3 the same threads people start to response
I have ordered 540 OM but delivery will be March next year.
I'm from Poland so took a risk and not try boat before buy it.
But I'm HONDA fan. Even I know that HONDA only gives "a name" for them.

I own HONWAVE T38IE2 plus HONDA BF20 and it sets allow us to have wonderful time in Greece.

I hope that another set branded as HONDA (HONDA OM 540 and HONDA BF100) allow us to have longer trips in Greece. I will test set with my family (2+3) on the next vacation (8 weeks) so will gave a feedback. But I'm not credible person. I'm SIB-man. This is my first RIB.

It is the only one RIB which allow me to follow new rules in Poland according GVW.
Based on my car GVW whole set (boat, engine, petrol, equipment, trailer) cannot exceed 950 kg. And OM540 is the only one.

I do really appreciate how Steve works, response for all emails, reasonable answers so I do not hesitate to buy from UK dealer. And UK dealer is the only one now who can offer so family friendly setup (DL version - 5 bakists/lockers, family console)

https://www.facebook.com/seaswiftboa...type=1&theater

If I be UK citizen (do not worry I will stay in Poland or move to Greece ) I prefer to test OM 540 DL in nature. This is the best opportunity to select a boat.

Each people have different needs and you can not only base on internet opinions.
Old 28 September 2014, 09:41   #6

Rib Fisherman, left a response in your thread from last week (21/09) that echoes Poly's note. Best to go for a try in this and other manuf boats and choose what suits you best for ride, launch / recovery and price - you can get a lot of boat 2nd hand for the same money.
Believe the round Ireland boats were the 500 (5m) versions and as Willik says they took a pounding and like several others came out unscathed (some came out broken and needed a tow but that's a whole other thread )
Old 28 September 2014, 20:25   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I had a poke around the Highfields at the boat show. The one with the cuddy wheelhouse was very poorly finished. The hulls look a tad shallow at the pointy end, probably down to being fabricated rather than moulded.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 11:23   #8

Lol, I saw a photo of the cuddy wheelhouse one - its not a looker. What size was it?
I had an issue with the finish of the 460 when I owned it - the console was fixed using self tapping screws instead of bolted and wobbled after a while. From what I've been told thats now been rectified but I couldn't say for sure.

My 590 seems good so far although its only had 30hrs or so of use.
Old 29 September 2014, 12:16   #9

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Chunk, were you and your Highfield at Salen Jetty on Loch Sunart a couple of weeks ago?
Old 29 September 2014, 13:47   #10

Borrowboy, sorry was't me. Coincidently I was chatting with a mate on Sat about a trip to loch sunart, poss mid Oct if the weather holds.
Old 29 September 2014, 15:31   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
I was chatting with a mate on Sat about a trip to loch sunart, poss mid Oct if the weather holds.
Do it!

Include Loch Teacuis whilst you're up there but check on the tide before entering and take great care if it's low water springs...
Old 29 September 2014, 19:40   #12

Will do, are you up there often? Be great to get out with a local or someone who knows the best fishing / beer spots
Old 29 September 2014, 20:55   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Will do, are you up there often? Be great to get out with a local or someone who knows the best fishing / beer spots
Nope. I live 300+ miles away but we enjoyed a fabulous holiday up there in early September. Easy launching at Salen Jetty, fantastic wildlife, great fishing (we're strictly amateurs) and spectacular food

Apologies to the OP for thread drift....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	99491

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	99492

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	99493

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	99494
Old 29 September 2014, 21:49   #14

Looks fantastic - I'd love to see a wild otter.
Was thinking about going via Strontian and launching there - not sure if the Corran ferry would take the car and rib or if I'd need to go the long route via Ft William...again sorry to the OP
Old 29 September 2014, 22:03   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
not sure if the Corran ferry would take the car and rib or if I'd need to go the long route via Ft William...
you can, costs double though...
Old 29 September 2014, 22:08   #16

Assume double the costs for the ferry? That was my gut feel, I'd guess the Oban / Mull ferry would be the same? Maybe best to accept the extra time on the journey. Will need to look into it.
Old 29 September 2014, 22:13   #17

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Assume double the costs for the ferry? That was my gut feel, I'd guess the Oban / Mull ferry would be the same? Maybe best to accept the extra time on the journey. Will need to look into it.

More than double £50 for car £75 for trailer Oban/Mull

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 23:09   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Yip, its not that expensive IIRC its less than a tenner, but you basically pay for 2 cars to take a trailer (and might have to queue a little longer). It saves 40 odd twisty miles, probably about an hour?
Old 29 September 2014, 23:48   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yip, its not that expensive IIRC its less than a tenner, but you basically pay for 2 cars to take a trailer (and might have to queue a little longer). It saves 40 odd twisty miles, probably about an hour?
It's £17.80 in total for car and trailer each way. Dropped lucky both ways and didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for the ferry. Money well spent IMHO.
Old 30 September 2014, 06:39   #20

Yeh, looks to be £18ish each way at Corran according to http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/...rranFerry.aspx
Will phone ahead to see I can book a space. Thanks for the pointers