Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 29 March 2011, 09:31   #41

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
I was a passenger on the Pride of Bilbao when she ran down the Ouzo ,I was on deck within the hour before she ran the yatch down. It was pitch dark and the curtains around the chart area were open and the lights blazing,I walked up to as far as I could get to the bridge on both sides and could see no one on watch.
At the subsequent enquiry I believe that this was confirmed and also that the single person on watch was wearing reactolite glasses and due to the unshielded white lights on the bridge could not see properly as his night vision was doubly impaired.
Several radars were running but presumably not being looked at.
In my opinion as a sailor and powerboater someone should have gone to jail for a long time for manslaughter. Three sailors drowned,all were wearing lifejackets all of which worked.
The ship was not keeping a proper lookout.
Possibly the same in this case,In my opinion if your employer wants you to take risks that may lead to you killing someone then you should get another job.
If I had stayed on deck for another hour then I might have seen something and been able to alert the crew,but I didn't.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:58   #42

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
trawling in the shipping lanes
is that illegal? I have a dutch friend, skipper of a huge trawler that trawls along the traffic seperation lanes. He has the ferry timetables in the wheelhouse and trawls for Horse Mackerel (scad) which when frozen go off to Africa.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:20   #43

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun View Post
I was a passenger on the Pride of Bilbao when she ran down the Ouzo ,I was on deck within the hour before she ran the yatch down. It was pitch dark and the curtains around the chart area were open and the lights blazing,I walked up to as far as I could get to the bridge on both sides and could see no one on watch.
At the subsequent enquiry I believe that this was confirmed and also that the single person on watch was wearing reactolite glasses and due to the unshielded white lights on the bridge could not see properly as his night vision was doubly impaired.
Several radars were running but presumably not being looked at.
In my opinion as a sailor and powerboater someone should have gone to jail for a long time for manslaughter. Three sailors drowned,all were wearing lifejackets all of which worked.
The ship was not keeping a proper lookout.
Possibly the same in this case,In my opinion if your employer wants you to take risks that may lead to you killing someone then you should get another job.
If I had stayed on deck for another hour then I might have seen something and been able to alert the crew,but I didn't.
I would second that too Bosun ,having travelled a number of times on the ship ,i too noticed that at times there seemed to be no one to be visibly seen on watch on the bridge , I did also hear from a passenger (as my wife was a bit concerned that no one was driving) that at times they use people from the whale watch brigade onboard to act as look outs .
Old 29 March 2011, 10:29   #44

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
Yeah Ok i'l bite.....

So what your saying is the ferries deliberately leave the channel/shipping lanes risking potential grounding to 'play' with the fisherman?.....or is it maybe a case of the fishermen laying pots and trawling in the shipping lanes because they know theres is a better chance of a good catch?...hmmm interesting one.

Simon
no it's true, they have a fair amount of space most of the time and the channel is wide enough, god knows the red jet doesn't even follow deep water channel most of the time, with all the space they have, if they see us fishing or any other fisherman they'll cut him close
Old 29 March 2011, 10:59   #45

Length: 7m +
I love a good debate, sounds like were getting into horror stories, if you want some I have a few, when I was in my early twenties I worked for various cruise lines for nearly 8 years and have plenty of scary stories; here are a few

1. We used to hit whales crossing the gulf of mexico, some would get stuck on the bow - oops
2. We changed from English Coxswains to another nationaility to save money, two days after this was done and we were in Alaska going up the inside passage in a narrow stretch of water I marvelled at how close we were heading for the near bank, 20 seconds later the ship turned extremely hard to avoid the bank - oops
3. Coming out of Portland Oregan after a $250K small refirb we hit a stretch of water where two currents meet, ship listed 42degrees and $150K of damage was done to the shops onboard and other area's - oops
4.A women had an argument with her husband and threatened to jump overboard , he said go on then and she did, luckily a deck hand saw her and we were in Carribean at midnight on a clear evening with smooth seas, manage to find her and pick her up after 45minutes, ship listed heavily on the announcement and damage was done to several areas due to the hard turn, chairs etc falling over.She and her husband were disembarked from the ship at the next port and the Captain sent a letter to the airline they were flying back with to inform them of their recreational tendancies - oops
5. We hit a few fishing vessels in Alaska in the inside passage, not much room but im surprised the bridge did not spot them.
6. A number of large bumps when docking
7. A couple of incidents with buckled deck plating in Routh Weather
8. A lifeboat fell on a crew member while training
9. Several suicides from crew jumping overboard
10. A few engine fires, two cinema fires
11. Several times at lifeboat staions for real but never had to abandon ship
12. A few broken windows in routh weather
13. The funniest one was a cadet at the wheel of one of the lifeboats that was used as a tender to take passengers ashore, he turned round to talk to a passenger and the lifeboats wheel fell off...

Most people don't realise how dangerous being at sea can be. I am saddened by the ferry incident, I am hoping perhaps Condor and other Ferry companies will eventually learn from this incident. Reading alot of teh stories about ferries on this it sounds very scarry indeed. I don't think the media has picked up on the issue of the Fog and speed as yet.
Old 29 March 2011, 11:32   #46

Town: Jersey
Length: no boat
I'm new to all this boating malarky! But should the fishing boat have had an AIS or something similar? Or is it not law for a small and slower craft?
Old 29 March 2011, 11:33   #47

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy00 View Post
I'm new to all this boating malarky! But should the fishing boat have had an AIS or something similar? Or is it not law for a small and slower craft?
Not law for anything under 300 gross tons.

More fishing vessels are fitting transmitters, but it is purely voluntary.
Old 29 March 2011, 12:07   #48

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Do we know if the fishing vessel was fitted with radar, if so how didn't spot the cat?
Old 29 March 2011, 12:29   #49

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
More fishing vessels are fitting transmitters, but it is purely voluntary.
More so the boats that fish the channel, not so much the boats that fish down this way. Plus some that do have ais turn it off so as not give away their position to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Do we know if the fishing vessel was fitted with radar, if so how didn't spot the cat?
Too busy fishing no doubt, although could have set up a collision zone alarm to alert them if anything came their way
Old 29 March 2011, 14:03   #50

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Fishing

This was a very sad incident and condolences to the French family of Granville.

This incident was not on a shipping lane but was on a well trodden route by the condor, with modern aids they are probably not far off the same track day in day out especially on this St Malo Jersey route. This can be seen on any AIS tracking sites.

It was a whelk fishing boat, if it was hauling at the time the speed of the vessel would of been less than 2 knots. They probably heard the roar of the condor as well as the foghorn from some distance and may have mistakenly assumed the condor could 'see' them on RADAR and would make a suitable adjustment.

Had an alarm been set for a half mile alert on RADAR this would of given less than 1 minute for the fishing vessel to do anything. They would of had to cut their lines to make way or start shooting the gear (itself a dangerous part of the job). This would also be a bad decision as it would be unexpected by the Condor crew had they been aware of the fishing boat and already be giving it room. The bridge of an Incat is not a place you would hear a fog horn from the fishing vessel. I think they have bridge voice recorders onboard which hopefully will reveal the exact happenings on the day.

I will await the full report following any investigation and hope that the company's 'safety culture' is not a contributing factor.
Old 29 March 2011, 18:34   #51

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Oh yeah the whale watchers!
Stood on the top deck of a nine story high white ship looking for whales through a telescope whilst dressed in full camoflage??
So the whale might see the ship but he won't spot them???
Old 29 March 2011, 22:24   #52

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Evening all

Time to step into the line of fire once more and add a few comments to this debate. Hopefully try and keep it short.

I understand the concerns that some have regarding poor standards and a 'reckless' attitude allegedly demonstrated by ferry crews (especially after going over the last few pages of posts. ) but please bear with me while i explain a few points which will hopefully alleviate any fears.

Firstly, most you on here will probably have some kind of nautical qualification, probably RYA based designed to give a good level of both theoretical and practical knowledge on how to use and operate a pleasure boat in an efficient and safe manner. This is very reassuring.
Some on here have commercial endorsements to their RYA qualifications meaning that they have passed an exam whose structure and content was based on guidlines set out by the Maritime and Coastguard agency.
Now, (without belittling it in any way) a commercial endorsment on an RYA qualification is a world apart from an MCA Master mariner certificate (class one unlimited).
To become the Master of a passenger vessel such as a ferry or cruise ship a candidate would first have to have served as a cadet with a shipping company. The cadetship takes four years to complete involving three years at a dedicated nautical college followed by one year spent at sea with the aim of achieving at minimum and HND level academic qualification
On completion of this and a series of both written and oral exams (including a 1-1.5hour interview with an MCA examiner) the candidate would be granted an 'officer of the watch certificate' allowing him/her to serve as junior officer under the supervision of the Master/chief officer.

Now from here on, the candidate will need to sit a further two sets of exams (Chief officer/Master) each spaced apart by a minimum of 18months seatime. Each set of exams becomes harder to pass encompassing a greater range of subjects with existing subject being examined in much deeper detail. Finally after all this and on completion of a final interview style oral examination with a senior examiner at the MCA, the candidate will be granted a Master mariner certificate.
Unfortunately this gives no guarantee of a job as Master as virtually all shipping companies require solid proof of comprehansive past experience before considering somebody for the job.
Most Masters employed on ferries will have at least 15-20 years experience before being taken on.
My point to all this?....well as an engineer it pains me greatly to say this but believe me when i do say that Masters of ferries (or any commercial passanger carrying vessel for that matter).....are far from idiots.

Are you lot yet?

The Bilbao/Ouzo incident was indeed a tragic event and, as someone who has followed the above described training system and further spent some 22 years serving on various types of vessel, i hang my head in shame.
It was shamefull that the 2nd officer never turned the vessel around even after the AB (able bodied seaman) on watch with 2nd officer commented that he thought he saw something.
For information, it is standard procedure on all passanger carrying vessels to always have two people on the bridge during night time passages.
All ferries are required to have motion detectors fitted on the bridge triggering an alarm should no movement be detected after a short period of time (usually around two minutes).
VER (voyage event recorders) including microphones to record all conversations on the bridge are also mandatory.
To suggest that a cross channel ferry could be on passage with the bridge unatended is proposterous.

Thankfully, incidents like the Ouzo tragedy are very rare but, like in the aviation industry, when they do happen, they make big news.
To put things into perspective you have to look at the volume of cargo/passengers/goods that is carried in/out and around our country on an annual basis then think of how many accidents you have heard of.

Although it is unfair to comment until the official MAIB report is issued, i do believe that legislation (ie; amending the COLREGS to specify a set maximum speed in fog based on % of vessel's maximum speed) should be brought in to give Masters a legal tool to use and slow the vessel down. This would remove the ambiguity behind the 'safe speed' clause as stated in the COLREGS.

One point to not is that, as previously mentioned, an Incat like the Vitesse is able to stop herself from full speed in just over a few times her own length.
The RedJets on the Solent are able to do this in their own length!!

Biffer... I do undrstand your frustration with the Redjets as the wash they produce is of a particular nuissance however vary rarely do they deviate by any great amount during their crossing to/from Cowes. Even at low tide, they draw less than a meter so are able to maintain a similar track on each crossing.
All one needs to do is to take a trip out between the Forts towards Nab to witness the plethora of pots and fishing gear strewn inside the channel
I wont tar all fisherman with the same brush however there are quite a few 'bad apples' out there..
This is a problem no matter what area of the world you are naviguating in.

I would urge people to stop 'armchair quarterbacking', at least until the official report come out.

Simon
Old 30 March 2011, 07:24   #53

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
The RedJets on the Solent are able to do this in their own length!!
it is a serious decision to make in a split second to drop the buckets and stop the boat like that. Moving the buckets at speed instead of the throttles results in a violent reaction that has to be experienced to be appreciated even in a drill situation. The likelihood of injury and death to passengers onboard is significant. Everyone is going to be smacked into the seats/bulkheads/people in front of them. Bags, heavy luggage, coffee makers, and babies are going to fly thru the air and there will be carnage. So its still not a safe speed even if in theory one can stop before hitting whatever is in front of you.
Driving fast craft in fog is surreal, with little sensation of the speed one is doing over a flat sea, that you can't see, with a grey globe around you and no reference points to focus on.
Old 30 March 2011, 07:39   #54

i'm assuming that the captain that hit the hythe jetty or the nab tower or sailed straight though the other peir down hastigs way also had this lovely training.
i live both on the main and the island and i go back and forth more than most, you are wrong when you say they don't deviate from there standard course
i say it as i find it, from experience.
Old 30 March 2011, 07:58   #55

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
All the training and certification in the world wont mean squat if your not looking where your going/at the radar screen. or going too fast to see to react.
Old 30 March 2011, 08:03   #56

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
i dont think there can be much dispute that master mariners are indeed very good at their jobs in the most part and qualified to a level much higher that us mortals but....

and i appreciate we will not know until the report comes out ... (and maybe never)

The AIS tracks seem to suggest the vessel was traveling at 30+ Kts prior to the impact, in fog which we assume is a significant contributing factor to the collision one person being killed.

Now in this blame culture we live in, the master is in control of his vessel and therefore responsible for its care and that of all on board? I appreciate the commercial pressures put on the master. if the Master feels he can justify "safe speed" then he is free to try in any investigation. lets hope there is some impartial thought with regard the investigation to see if this justification is valid.

i have never been on a ferry in fog, i have driven boats in fog and know it is not something i would choose to do at any speed, let alone close to full operating speed of a large ship.

thoughts go to the families of those involved i hope justice will prevail.
Old 30 March 2011, 08:04   #57
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post

I would urge people to stop 'armchair quarterbacking', at least until the official report come out.

Simon
This is a fair point, but what matter if a bunch of unqualified numpties (some not so unqualified, btw) like us have a goss about it on here?

The training that professional crew have will not make "better people" of them. Cast your mind back over the numerous shipping and aviation disasters and near misses that involves gross dereliction of duty on the part of the masters and crew. Don't expect me to believe that a goodly number of them don't bend the rules now and again.

I for one will read the report with keen interest, to better understand how a shining professional crew can mow down a small craft despite having every navigational aid known to man.
Old 30 March 2011, 08:21   #58

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
I read the hypotheses from those remote of the event. In the meantime...it's a very sad event that occurred. I await the report from those in possession of the facts.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:20   #59

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Ohh Biffer...

Next time you happen to look at a chart of the Solent, see if you can spot something written on it that might give a clue to fisherman to not fish the in the area!

And No, the Master of the Hythe ferry has no such training or qualification relying on a BML (boatman's licence). This is a certificate based purely on local knowledge of the area thus limiting the skipper to operate in the same restricted area. No training or formal qualification is required. I do understand the point you are trying to make though.

The Dole America did strike the Nab tower.....IN 1999!!!...

The other incident i can not comment on as i have no knowledge of it but im sure it was obviously gross negligence on behalf of a formally trained Master mariner with a class one certificate....

Wavelength... Yes, it is worrying. As you probably saw from a previous post i strongly believe more should be done to limit the speed of high speed craft in fog..including and perhaps especially the Redjets due to the busy/confined area they operate in.
I appreciate the colregs must take into account the prevailing conditions so a blanket rule to reduce speed (to a set %) when in fog may not be practical (as you start affecting the maneuverability of some vessels) but i do believe it is now time to re-appraise the wording never the less.

Contrary to what people want to believe on here, those radar sets on the Vitesse would have been watched very attentively indeed by both the Master AND C/O.

Willk....Yes, your right, even the most experienced and dedicated crews occasionally bend the rules...after all that's human nature but i just cant see (forgive the very inapropriate pun) that that would have been the case with the Vitesse......Perhaps its more of a case me not wanting to see?
Appologies if i sounded condescending re; certification...that was certainly not my intention, my point was to re-assure people that the officers and crew of the next ferry they embark on are, for the most part, profesionals who take the duty of care to their passengers very seriously.

Leapy....Well said

Simon
Old 30 March 2011, 09:47   #60

i think with what i do and where i live i have a fair understanding of where and where not to go and fish in the solent, i can tell you redjet does not stay in channel, disregarding the fishermen, the corner she cuts most is used by dinghy sailers and kite surfers.
don't get me wrong, if there was a quicker way to get the job done i'll have a look at it, but i'll go back to my original post, there is not excuse you could say for running over a fishing boat, yacht, pier, or jetty in any weather, it's down to someone not paying attention