Old 12 April 2005, 10:43   #1

Town: NORWICH
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 40hp 2 strok
Help with first time purchase

Looking to buy first rib looking at about 4m with 30/40hp OB.
Currently looking at 3 diff boats Bombard/Yachtline/tohatsu I would appreciate any advise with regard the quality durability of these makes.
Old 12 April 2005, 10:56   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrhead
Looking to buy first rib looking at about 4m with 30/40hp OB.
Currently looking at 3 diff boats Bombard/Yachtline/tohatsu I would appreciate any advise with regard the quality durability of these makes.
Don’t buy new is my advice because the first thing you will do is come up with all the things you don’t like about it and want to change If you buy second hand you will not get that deprecation hit of a new boat and you can then plan the boat you really want and then buy an Avon Searider 5.4
Des
Old 12 April 2005, 11:24   #3

Town: Fareham
Yeh, from what I've seen don't buy a Searider, you'll end up regretting it when it's time to sell her for a newer larger model .
Old 12 April 2005, 11:48   #4

I was thinking of buying secondhand was wondering whether it was better to buy a nearly new Tohatsu which appears to have originally been about 7k or a older Yachtline which was about 10k when new both now about same price
Old 12 April 2005, 11:54   #5

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
What engines are on them? (Makes, 2 stroke/4 stroke, HP, age?)
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2005, 11:58   #6

one year old Tohatsu 40hp 2stroke
four year old Yamaha 30hp 4stroke
five year old Mariner 40hp 2 stroke
Old 12 April 2005, 19:33   #7

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
good luck!

well i would go for the newer engine any day, im not a fan of mariner emrcury bunch, so wold go for tohatsu or yamaha, the tohatsus are basically same as yamaha, just couple of years behind, so both good engines, but obviously the nwer one will have more time left! boat wise, it depends what price you can get as to whether its worth going second hand or not, as i find that many second hand asking prices are not far away from the new price, and i have a boat to add to your list, have a look at a zodiacpro 7 man, its 4.2m long, and a 40hp would go very nicely on it, try TL HARVEY for this, think the website is his name! he does superb prices, bought my pro 9 man off him 2 years ago, and his prices were way below what anyone else could get any where near to! its a good little boat, and in my opinion way better than the bombard, build quality is good on both though, but not as sturdy as larger models, the hulls on the zodiac pro ribs are very good, and excellent in choppy weather, providing its not big chop though, simple fact of a shorter boat length, it will get hairy you will find on the zodiac you have allot more room to move around than other ribs of comparable size too! Harvey fit suzukis, they do the others but, i have a suzuki 50hp and wouldnt change it for the world! unless it was a bigger suzuki! tohatsu ribs are good enough, similar in hull shape to the avon's, the lager models anyways, not sure bout the 4m lot, erm hope this helps!
Old 12 April 2005, 19:51   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Yay; a fellow person from Norwich.

Can I ask where you have seen said boats (or are they private ads)?
Old 12 April 2005, 21:04   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Yeh, from what I've seen don't buy a Searider, you'll end up regretting it when it's time to sell her for a newer larger model .

Unfortunately that is true, have I ever mentiond i miss my searider 4.7!

so if you want a small rib for convenience or Budget why not get an Avon Searider 4.0 mtre. Whats yur budget
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2005, 21:08   #10

Town: Fareham
And they seem to be an investment and increase in money in return of a little love and care. Wish I'd bought one as my first RIB.
Old 12 April 2005, 22:05   #11

Town: Wimborne
Boat name: Baily X
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50
Send a message via AIM to Rob Whitham
Great starter rib

I have a great little rib for sale on boats and outboards for sale. Its a very well built gemini 4.5m with yamaha 60 2 stroke - both are 1997 and in very good order. Its pretty inflation proof, fantastic fun and has been very well maintained. It has unfaded hypalon tubes in red and would be a fantastic alternative to a searider 4m.Send me a private message if you would like to view it.
Old 13 April 2005, 07:40   #12

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
look no further than an Avon searider for your first Rib some of the doods on this site know everything about Ribs and engines and what they don't know isn't worth knowing, Greeat boats and anyone that owns one or has owned one will only say good things about them. If you are looking for a Rib around the 4 metre size there is always a few for sale on boatsandoutboards and another good thing is that you should pick up a real tidy one for around 4k, As for the engine first appearance usually tells a story if its been looked after it will show. In terms of which engine to go for i would be in slight favour of a japanese unit i think these tend to be very well made and more reliable on the whole.
Old 13 April 2005, 08:12   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Another thought most peoples reason for buying their second boat is to get something longer, are you sure that you really want a 4m boat There are issues about storage and handling a larger boat but the difference in performance between a 4m and 5m boat can be marked Des
Old 13 April 2005, 10:09   #14

Our main use for this rib will be on the Broads following our daughters around in their sail boats, with the occasional trip out to sheltered coastal areas.
Tims Osprey
Have looked at Searider but most of them appear to have speadboat layout and we really wanted a central jockey position.
Tim M
Private ads
Scary Des
4m seemed about right for our anticipated usage, ability to be able to store in garage and take 2adults and up to 4 children.
Old 13 April 2005, 10:46   #15

There are a couple of decent looking avon seariders on boatsandoutboards.co.uk both have centre consul layout one is just over 4k and is 1999 with a 40 tohatsu, The other looks a bit newer and has a 50 yamaha and is 6k.
Old 13 April 2005, 11:13   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Unfortunately that is true, have I ever mentiond i miss my searider 4.7!

so if you want a small rib for convenience or Budget why not get an Avon Searider 4.0 mtre. Whats yur budget
totally agree infact after i have bought an aux engine for my osprey and paid for the holiday i am going to save up and buy myself a smaller second Rib to mess about on i wonder which one, I know a trusty 4 metre searider just the ticket
Old 13 April 2005, 11:35   #17
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrhead
Our main use for this rib will be on the Broads following our daughters around in their sail boats, with the occasional trip out to sheltered coastal areas.
Tims Osprey
Have looked at Searider but most of them appear to have speadboat layout and we really wanted a central jockey position.
Tim M
Private ads
Scary Des
4m seemed about right for our anticipated usage, ability to be able to store in garage and take 2adults and up to 4 children.
For a lot of low speed work on the broads I would recommend a 4-stroke outboard because your will appreciate the quieter and smoother running. Seccondly, 'old tech' carberuetted two strokes tend to 'oil up' if being used for long periods at idle and low rpm's. They then need a thrash to become unclogged.

Regards
Alex