Old 12 November 2007, 20:26   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Ouba of the Camber
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard diesel 315hp
help on selling cobra 8.5

Hi, some of you may remember me, in early '06 I stuffed my Cobra 8.5m diesel inboard off Hurst castle and had to be rescued by the RNLI. Well, had it all repaired, and upgraded, c15000 gal/hr bilge pumps, new electrics, battery charger, moved batterries, hydraulic engine cover, led lights, new upholstery... c£11K later found I don't use her much and the £7K pa berth is a waste. Just put her with local broker who seems pretty clueless about ribs, even compared to me! so 2001 8.5m Cobra nautique, 4.2 ltr diesel inboard, c 315hp, best I had was 44knts, good fun, not used much. How do I get a price for that other than ebay and take my chances? boats and outboards seem to vary from c£40K to £19K, bit of a spread!! Any advice appreciated, you were all very helpful when I got into this, thanksa for that. Going to charter in the future.
Old 12 November 2007, 20:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You could always try the 'for sale' section here

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2007, 20:33   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk
Old 12 November 2007, 21:55   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Recently someone on here suggested that you should take off the vat, then depreciate on a reducing balance by 10% per annum. That seemed to create some protest at being too severe. So possibly represents the "lower" end of the spectrum. Of course it takes no account of the condition of the boat. It is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and so subjective things like tube colour, seating layout, brand name, and location will have a bearing too.

[Edit: and of course the time of year influences demand and therefore price.]
Old 13 November 2007, 19:50   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Errr...I think he may have already been there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz99 View Post
,......boats and outboards seem to vary from c£40K to £19K....

I'd avoid the 'Accountant's Method' of valuation. Your best indication of value would be sales of other Cobra RIBs of similar age, spec, condition, etc.
Have you tried phoning Cobra RIBs for some advice. They may even sell it on brokerage for you

One thing's for certain - you won't get that £11k back
Old 13 November 2007, 20:06   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Recently someone on here suggested that you should take off the vat, then depreciate on a reducing balance by 10% per annum. That seemed to create some protest at being too severe. So possibly represents the "lower" end of the spectrum. Of course it takes no account of the condition of the boat. It is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and so subjective things like tube colour, seating layout, brand name, and location will have a bearing too.

[Edit: and of course the time of year influences demand and therefore price.]

i went to a local boat dealer who advised of a similar pricing scheme to the -vat and then 10% per annum

if i had followed this principal then i would have let my last boat go for around 10k less than i sold it for (boat+engine+trailer+mods) as it happens i sold it 9 years after purchasing and i got what i paid for the boat minus the vat (boat+trailer+engine+mods)
no one would believe that a shetland could hold its money like that but mine did, bloody good investment that boat was

my advise if you are selling, do some research and phone up the owners with boats for sale, if sold ask what it went for and how long it took to sell, you cant beat doing your own research in these matters

good luck selling
Old 14 November 2007, 17:05   #7

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
yes that´s true of Shetland, my dad just sold a 10+ year old Saker model & got most of his money back. I couldn´t believe it either but its true, they are fab investments.

I sold a small sailing boat (Drascome Lugger) last year & after 7 years got my money back which again I was well pleased about.

Rib wise, depends on how hard a discount was negotiated on purchase. If you paid list I reckon 30-40% off after year one, those few engine hours are v expensive. Prices seems to track the car market.

Cheers all from hot & sunny Spain

« Hello | Top | Bare hulls »