Old 26 October 2011, 20:48   #1

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Help needed!

Hi, just joined the forum, looking for some advice really. As part of my college project for my HND in mechanical engineering, we've got to design a product as if it was ready to be launched to the market. Our group chose a set of wheels for taking a semi inflatable from the shore to the water.

I'm in charge of the marketing for this project, and need to come up with a figure for an amount to produce (hypothetically).

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of how many semi inflatables are in use in the Uk, or worldwide, or any other help you could give me with this.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 27 October 2011, 05:31   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
These are already available in the UK, a quick serach for them "may" throw up some figures?
Old 27 October 2011, 06:27   #3

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Polwart will be along shortly I'm sure. Ribnet membership would be a good basis to start with IMHO. Take that number and double it or sumsuch. Oh and then subtract the population of the Shetland isles.........
Old 27 October 2011, 07:52   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Reinventing the wheel. Good choice. You should really be asking how many people would use your devise not how many sibs there are in the world

sent from a remote device
Old 27 October 2011, 08:05   #5

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer
Reinventing the wheel. Good choice. You should really be asking how many people would use your devise not how many sibs there are in the world

To assertion that he needs to know his potential Market place. Until he knows that it's impossible to estimate/plan a hypothetical sales turnover.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 27 October 2011, 08:12   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Unless of course the wheels are proper off road all terrain ones to handle a 5m Avon Workboat? I bet your bombard castor- er I mean wheels wouldn't even hold the Yam 40 up! Give the guy some slack - every college / uni project like this reinvents the wheel at some level.

Lets face it who had heard of Nokia before they brought out one of these new fangled phone things? Sometimes all it needs is a new take on an old product...

Sorry I can't be much help with the numbers..... I guess you could make a guess at the average number of SIBs at yacht clubs, and use the RYA list as a going in guess for the "yottie" side of the market?

Hows about a project for next term? A folding A-frame with integral Aux mount for narrow transoms?

Oh, and Ryan - Welcome to Ribnet!
Old 27 October 2011, 08:40   #7

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
There are many variables. Some guys have sibs as tenders yet never run them up a beachside. Others use them as tenders with no engine and just carry them Some are just sibbers and I would say they would be the target. Knowing how many inflatables are out there would be useful but not as useful as knowing how many run there's across a beach

Old 27 October 2011, 09:49   #8

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
My advice is just make up a number! No one else is going to know, free up your time to concentrate on other aspects of the project

If you get caught out, start harping on about "time management" and other such b******s, teachers love all that!
Old 27 October 2011, 16:04   #9

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Agreed. Or better still quote a reliable source.

According to the Rigid Inflatable Boat National Educational Taskforce (otherwise known as R.I.B.N.E.T) there were 345,625 Semi Inflatable boats sold in the UK last year.

After a customer satisfaction survey was produced, around 68% of those bought would be interested by the idea of them being transported by dolly wheels, if such a product was ever even available.

That makes a potential target Market of 235,025, each willing to spend £25 on said product.

A potential yearly turnover of £575,625 should go down well with the teacher. If not change them to suit you.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 27 October 2011, 17:57   #10

Right, thanks alot for the help guys.

I know it's a bit of a shitty project, and they're already on the market, but it wasn't my suggestion, and the teacher was happy to accept it as an idea, so I'm stuck with it!

I've had a look for sales figures for the other wheels on the market, can't seem to turn up anything usefull though.

I'll keep on searching, or I might just pull a figure out of the air, as suggested!
Old 27 October 2011, 20:56   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
This is quite a good link - as it mentions a number of companies which produce retractable and detachable wheels for SIBs. You should be able to price the wheels from their own websites. Also some useful information about maximum load weights, etc.
Inflatable Launching Wheels: How To Launch A Small Boat Without A Trailer

Zodiac are probably one of the biggest boat manufacturers in the world (also own Bombard, Avon, etc.) Their stuff isn't cheap... with a set of wheels retailing for around £250. Look up Zodiac codes Z61110 or Z1290 for more information. Not a bad profit margin when you consider it's no more than a couple of aluminium shelf brackets and wheelbarrow tyres from B&Q!

I'm sure you're already aware of Sealeg RIBs, but if not then here you go: Sealegs Patented Amphibious Technology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	63555  
Old 27 October 2011, 21:54   #12

Right, cheers mate. That's a great help. We won't actually be producing any mind you, it's just about designing them.