Old 03 April 2007, 22:01   #1

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Helmets

I know this sounds like i am doing it on the cheep but my brother in law as given me a new open faced crash helmet with a wrap around visor
My question is will it work on the rib
Old 03 April 2007, 22:04   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If you fall in at speed with the strap done up make sure the helmet can't 'bucket' and snap your neck.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2007, 09:18   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I use one as a matter of choice in the depths of winter. We have a number of proper boating hemets for clients but they do not allow you to hear conversations unless an ear plug is taken out -and then the wind literally whistles thru and they are cold. Bike helmet is warm, I can hear everything and the visor is great. Coming back from february fishing trips I have my own micro climate in there-visor down, neck warmer up - very toastie. We never fasten the strap on any of them however and have cut the straps off my bike helmet.
Old 04 April 2007, 15:26   #4

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you fall in at speed with the strap done up make sure the helmet can't 'bucket' and snap your neck.
What is the documented evidence for this outside racing? I.e. risk in a 35 knt rib...
Old 04 April 2007, 17:29   #5

I just dont like wearing the strap anyway, and if ya leave it loose it rattles around and clatters on the helmet.
Old 05 April 2007, 16:39   #6

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy View Post
What is the documented evidence for this outside racing? I.e. risk in a 35 knt rib...
There's plenty. Ask the RNLI or a few other rescue services.

Certainly there's documented case history from South Africa and I seem to recall a case from Australia as well.

The theoretical speed required given the average weight of such a helmet, combined with the velocity of water to create a bucket effect is about 6 knots.
Old 05 April 2007, 18:14   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
There's plenty. Ask the RNLI or a few other rescue services.

Certainly there's documented case history from South Africa and I seem to recall a case from Australia as well.

The theoretical speed required given the average weight of such a helmet, combined with the velocity of water to create a bucket effect is about 6 knots.
I still wonder if this is a bit of an urban myth - maybe Mythbusters should have a go at it?

Looking at it logically an open face should be fine - the visor will just rip open. A closed hemlet should be worse but there is a very small gap for the water to get in - most racers in open boats were closed helmets and they still seem to have their heads attached!!!
Old 06 April 2007, 08:16   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Depends what helmet/visor it is-visors don't usually go up past 90 degrees specifically to stop air doing the same thing at speed.
It's very unnerving and quite painful at times having a visor fly past horizontal at 100mph and catching the wind.

Simple test for how much 'bucketing' will hurt-chuck a kids bucket on a rope in at 30 knots and try and hold on. Imagine the same thing happening to your neck.

I don't think it's about how much water gets in/can get in but more about the lip of the helmet catching on the water at the point of impact. At speed water is more like a solid object.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2007, 09:07   #9

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
does this apply to gecko helmets.
Also if the strap is not done up will it be ok or as ok as it can be.
To be honest i only want it when the weather is bad.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:25   #10

its all a matter of personal choice and personal risk assesment.
Other factors inslude will a non boating helmet foul the lifejacket if it inflates and push your head forward compromising the airway? And is the helmet heavy to possibly cause neck injury? All that is a matter of personal choice and risk evaluation so I would never say yes wear that or this - thats your choice. What i would say is that I use my non boating helmet, to keep my head warm and to carry the visor, and have been using fast small boats for more years than I care to remember all over the world-and I am still in one piece! (oo-er thats tempting fate isnt it!)
Old 06 April 2007, 10:18   #11

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
its all a matter of personal choice and personal risk assesment.
Other factors inslude will a non boating helmet foul the lifejacket if it inflates and push your head forward compromising the airway? And is the helmet heavy to possibly cause neck injury? All that is a matter of personal choice and risk evaluation so I would never say yes wear that or this - thats your choice. What i would say is that I use my non boating helmet, to keep my head warm and to carry the visor, and have been using fast small boats for more years than I care to remember all over the world-and I am still in one piece! (oo-er thats tempting fate isnt it!)
Exactly - personal risk assessment, based on experience and gathered facts.

Gecko helmets are a different proposition - very little inherant weight in themselves, and the new inflatable interior versions are brilliant. They originate more from the canoe / swiftwater rescue arena than the Neptune type helmets used for comms - and of course, the heavier the helmet the greater the verterbaeic compression on the neck especially in rough water.

No, "bucketing" isn't an urban myth - but has been quoted as the reason that the RNLI and others moved away from the Neptune comms helmet, when in fact neck strain over prolonged use periods is far higher up the risk list. Technology moves on - lighter comms systems have allowed the old Neptune to be pased by - we still use some on the main boat, but then you don't get much shock loading on the deck of a salvage tug! (unless it's a bad day on the Abeille Flandre of course.....)

Simon
Old 07 April 2007, 06:39   #12

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Both the Gecko and the Comunica helmets are designed as marine helmets.
Designed and built to with stand and protect in the marine world.

I have both and like them both.

The MK10 Gecko is great and the blow up bladder means it will fit most "adult" heads with ease and in comfort.

I wear mine for extented periods, 4-5 hours at a time.
Also can be fitted with comms so making them very versitile.

The Comunica is fitted like a motor cycle helmet which means you buy it for the size of your head.
Again very comfy and can also be fitted with comms.

Bucketing is a very real problem just ask the experts, like the team at Comunica, they aslo make Aviation helmets and that where bucketing was really first discovered..being ejected for a fighter jet is even worse then going into the water at speed!!!!

Another nice thing is that it keeps the warmth in as well so great for those who don't just fair weather boat

I was on a PWC instructors course a few weeks back on the weather was horrid, the helmets came into their own on those three days!!

All the best