Old 13 December 2013, 18:58   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
helm layout?

I am at the point where I need to install steering and throttle. I have a blank slate and was wondering if there were any tips, hints, or suggestions to make life better/easier/more comfortable. I have a blank-ish slate but not a good picture, you can see it here, http://www.rib.net/forum/f45/zodiac-...tml#post587343. original setup had helm in the center and diesel throttle on the right. electronics in the box, VHF radio and switch panel on either side of the helm. I wanted to get everything in the electronics box but it's not going to fit I think although I haven't looked again since deciding to go with individual switches instead of a pre-fab panel.

Should I just center the steering wheel or try to move it to one side or another? Only reason I can think to do that is to give a little more space on the future leaning post to a passenger. Also at 300+lbs I tend to balance the boat out nicely

Nothing specific just looking a a blank canvas and scratching my head. Any or all ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 13 December 2013, 22:30   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Make sure that the throttle, wheel, & seat backrest are all positioned so that you can stand, drive & rest your ar5e without having to bend or look down to reach aforementioned controls. Otherwise you end up with sore back, neck & knees.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 05:58   #3
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
With the Cummins in my Willard and a left hand rotating prop, I need to put passengers and/or myself to the port side in order to balance things out (though it's only really noticeable at displacement speeds). You'll be spinning a smaller prop which will be right hand. If you do offset it I'd put it to the right a bit.