Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
In theory.
In practise and taking speedo error into account the difference can be less. Prosecution guidelines are 10% + 2mph, I'd be surprised if anyone was unlucky enough to get nicked under this.

We found moving to a RIB and trailer liberating. Heavy SIB was so much faff we nearly gave up boating. Now we get out far more.
IMO I think you are incorrect with your prosecution guidelines of 10% + 2mph
I've been told on a speed awareness course that forces throughout the UK can set their own tolerances when it comes to speeding.
I was told that Lancashire and Cumbria are indeed 10% + 2mph, but GMP and Yorkshire are 10%. Dumfries & Galloway is only + 5mph
I've been done for speeding on the M62 at 78mph just past Rochdale, it was without a trailer!
Old 30 September 2020, 18:36   #22

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Forget the trailer concentrate on the boat That suits your needs and it that means a trailer then so be it...... trailers are only a faff as let them be some people faff endlessly others are out and away.

A mixture of experience, confidence and preparation reduce the faff I’ve known people arrive at the slip and an hour later still not be on the water others in less than 10 minutes after piling up being away for their day, same on return. Narrow lanes are only an issue if boat is wider than car....60 on mway isn’t bad can creep along at A “good” 60+ most of the time anyway Third lane ban is only an issue when 2 trucks are failing to conclude a duel for a long period or some old duffer insists 53mph is optimum for his eco box and forces the speed limited motorist outside.

Some launches have specific parking only trailer towing vehicles can access and thefts of empty trailers are thankfully rare.....
Old 30 September 2020, 18:50   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
He's who now already?
Ach, their both from the same part of the world and begin with a B how am I supposed to keep up!
Old 30 September 2020, 18:58   #24

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Everyone is different but I started with a sib and everything went in the boot, roof box etc..
Then put the sib on a trailer as I generally only have quick boating sessions where time is precious and the faff of setting up and deflating, then setting up again to clean once back home just took up too much of my time.
Then I bought a rib and my boating experience is so much better.
I know there are experienced guys on here who love their sibs and I get it they are great but If I was starting from scratch I would go straight for the rib.
Old 30 September 2020, 19:06   #25

Town: Chelmsford
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Everyone is different but I started with a sib and everything went in the boot, roof box etc..
Then put the sib on a trailer as I generally only have quick boating sessions where time is precious and the faff of setting up and deflating, then setting up again to clean once back home just took up too much of my time.
Then I bought a rib and my boating experience is so much better.
I know there are experienced guys on here who love their sibs and I get it they are great but If I was starting from scratch I would go straight for the rib.
Thats a valid point regarding time, I know what you mean about sibs on trailers it seems slightly paradoxical to be using a light boat because of the benefits but then putting it on a trailer and not expierencing the benefits of a RIB. Not knocking sibs at all but just seems strange to me.
Old 30 September 2020, 19:46   #26

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
My two pence I've always trailed all my boats even a 3m sib, I always use slipways boats rolling off or floating off no probs I always do it single handed. I find it worth the money to use marina facilities and leave the boat on a pontoon for a weeks holiday not constrained by tides then so I can slip out anytime of day. Biggest mistake people make when reversing is trying to correct when it's gone too far instead of driving forward to straighten up other that that is practise.
When new to backing a trailer the number one trick is to decide how you are going to look at your trailer when backing. Then stick to that method. So if you’re looking over your shoulder stick to that. If you switch back and forth -mirrors, look over shoulder , mirrors . Your brain will just take longer to learn the right actions to what you see your trailer doing. Also when starting generally doing the opposite you think is the right way to turn.
I’ve been pulling trailers for 48 years.
Old 30 September 2020, 19:53   #27

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Practice makes it easier!
Quiet industrial areas at the weekend are good.
Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to get it right in one go. If you need to do a few shunts to get everything to line up then so be it.
Old 30 September 2020, 19:59   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ach, their both from the same part of the world
Well I'm not sure if I can mention this on Ribnet, but I got the impression that Beamishken (a fine Ribnetter I might add) might be, well, you know, the E word?
Old 30 September 2020, 20:35   #29

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I think there is some good advice on here ,my cryptic message to you is lucky you live where you do ! ,because all the answers are within 35 miles ,take the south road to hullbridge 12.5 miles and check it out the Bay,if it doesnt have a good trailer take the road north 35 miles to great Bromley and get good 750kg roller ,back to hullbridge to collect ,if you want a tutorial on launching i am 3 miles from levington marina ,or felixstowe ferry ,the offer is there , nb i have no links with either seller , what ever you choose have fun
Old 30 September 2020, 22:28   #30

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Well I'm not sure if I can mention this on Ribnet, but I got the impression that Beamishken (a fine Ribnetter I might add) might be, well, you know, the E word?
Yes an E exiled to S still not got my S passport so may be deported if they get I
Old 30 September 2020, 22:46   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I think it's horses for courses.....

^^^^^^Wot he said.
I have a 545 RIB on a twin axle trailer & a SIB in a box trailer.
They both have their “faff factor” albeit very different. Boating is riddled with “faff”, it’s a state of mind. For me it’s all part of the experience. If you don’t want to faff, take up embroidery or basket weaving [emoji6]
The RIB can be a pain to tow & launch, but we can launch it in 15mins, it can easily tackle conditions that the SIB can’t. The SIB takes 45mins to set up & launch, but we can get where the RIB can’t. You have to decide on what you want to do, where & how. They are 2 very different tools for different tasks, trying to compare the 2 is comparing apples to oranges.
Just my 2 penneth.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2020, 06:51   #32

Might just take you up on that Orwell boy appreciate it ! Seems like there’s a lot of places around locally it’s just knowing exactly when and where to go.
Old 01 October 2020, 07:17   #33

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Our 4m Searider on a roller trailer was only 5-10 minutes to launch - and easy singlehanded.
However, it wasn't great to use on a beach as if it grounded when the tide went out it was too heavy to move it.
The Avon SIB we had with launching wheels could be wheeled up and down the beach easily.
Old 01 October 2020, 15:41   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
It took me a long time to realise that - I used to think that it was a reference to the drink and scotts for "your know"...

Quote:
Yes an E exiled to S still not got my S passport so may be deported if they get I
Deported? Why throw away a valuable food source
Old 01 October 2020, 19:28   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
It took me a long time to realise that
Well if YOU can't tell he's not butter then I think he's a Keeper...

Old 01 October 2020, 19:29   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Nooooo! They're for decorative purposes - you're not supposed to actually EAT them!!!
Old 02 October 2020, 07:46   #37

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
It took me a long time to realise that - I used to think that it was a reference to the drink and scotts for "your know"...

Nothing to do with beer or the museum ye Ken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamish,_County_Durham
Old 02 October 2020, 17:27   #38

It’s either a 260 Avon rib lite with a 8hp Yamaha and a roof rack or a 315 Avon with a 10hp merc and a trailer ��