Old 09 August 2006, 22:56   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
Harbour etiquette

Hi,
I've been doing a bit of ribbing recently where I've wanted to leave my RIB in a harbour overnight etc. what's the correct thing to do when tieing up to other boats e.g. when you have a line of three or four boats from one ladder? Thinking if someone on the inside needs to move, what happens or if someone ties onto my RIB and I need to leave?

Cheers,
Fraser
Old 10 August 2006, 07:30   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Mostly it's just common sense really. Make sure whatever you do causes the minimum incovenience for your neighbours.

A few suggestions to get you started:

- Check with the harbour master who'll let you know where the best place is to moor. There will often be boats that they know aren't going anywhere for a day or two.

- Make sure that your boat won't damage a neighbouring boat (including leaving dirty great black marks all over a shiny white hull!)

- If you're on the quayside then have some long lines that you can use to attach both ends of your boat directly to the harbour wall, so you're not putting all the strain on the inside boat.

- Make sure that you know what effect the tide is likely to have while you're off the boat. It pays to check that the other boats in the raft are moored sensibly and aren't going to move too much relative to your boat.

- If you need to leave from the inside of a raft work out a plan before you start releasing ropes. If necessary go back and adjust the other boats' lines once you are out. Don't just cast people adrift!

- Where possible, check when other people are leaving. If the boats outside you are planning to leave shortly after you it may be worth waiting to save the hassle of extricating yourself.

John
Old 10 August 2006, 10:50   #3

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'd agree with John. I'd also say that it is best to moor up alongside a similar sized boat if you can, rather than just choosing any old size.

Escaping from inside other boats is never easy but you do also need to take note of wind direction so that you don't release say the front moorings off the other boats and the wind them drifts them all out
Old 10 August 2006, 11:13   #4

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
If you have to untie another RIB so that you can leave, make sure you tie it up as carefully as you would your own boat.
Old 10 August 2006, 11:45   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
Thanks for the replies guys, that gives me something to get started on!

Cheers,
Fraser