Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 September 2011, 21:18   #21

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Outboard
Well, the visit to the dealer went well overall. We bottomed out the weight limit issue, the dealer insisted that the manufacturer (Chinese) had always stated the 85kg engine weight limit, which makes sense when one considers that all 25hp 4-strokes weigh more than 65kg, and most are in the 70-80kg range. The problem was a typo in the dealer's manual, which he amended. So having verified the weight limit (glad my engine is within the limit!) the cause of the cracking is now one of two possibilities:

1) The transom design is just not good enough to support the specified weight limit, or;

2) The transom design is ok but the construction of my particular hull was substandard.

Which one turns out to be the case depends on detailed instruction of the layup once the gelcoat has been removed in the vicinity of the cracks, which the dealer is going to do, and on-going discussions between the manufacturer and dealer. Guess I'll just have to wait. I suspect that negotiations between the manufacturer and dealer could get interesting..
Old 14 September 2011, 06:58   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>>We bottomed out the weight limit issue, the dealer insisted that the manufacturer (Chinese) had always stated the 85kg engine weight limit, which makes sense when one considers that all 25hp 4-strokes weigh more than 65kg, and most are in the 70-80kg range. The problem was a typo in the dealer's manual, which he amended.

Did you pick up on the comment I made earlier that the maker is *still* quoting a max 65kg on their website for the current version of yours... another typo??
Old 14 September 2011, 07:15   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Bobalong - Don't forget it doesn't matter what happens between the dealer and the manufacturer, your contract is with the dealer and if he has admitted it's either 1 or 2 then he is responsible!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 18:38   #24

Town: Hampshire
Engine: 25hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>>Did you pick up on the comment I made earlier that the maker is *still* quoting a max 65kg on their website for the current version of yours... another typo??
Yes, I intend to raise that issue at some point but first I want to see what solution is proposed to the cracking problem!
Old 14 September 2011, 21:21   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I don't think that the engine weight is relevent.

If the limit is 85kg then either the transom design isn't up to the job or it was built poorly.

If the limit was 65kg then the dealer "might" have mis sold you something - but the same as above applies - the transom has cracked either because the design or build is poor.

This the dealer appears to have admitted to and seems to be on your side at the moment.
Old 16 September 2011, 07:49   #26

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Just a thought about cracking transoms in general as a newbie to all this. Wouldn't the weight of engines banging up and down on rougher roads when towing (which we have in Surrey !) be of concern also. The weight of a 115hp motor on the transom must have huge jerking forces how ever carefully you drive. The road down to Ithenor in Chichester Harbour is appalling for instance
Old 16 September 2011, 08:16   #27

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Yep. I reckon towing with the engine up is worse than slamming around in the water. Not just on the transom but also on the hull specially on an trailer that has not been set up right
Old 16 September 2011, 17:16   #28

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Yep. I reckon towing with the engine up is worse than slamming around in the water. Not just on the transom but also on the hull specially on an trailer that has not been set up right
Hmm I know what you mean .. but a decent trailers suspension should iron out the worst of the shocks, and also , if the o/b is tilted up, all the weight is directly over the transom as opposed to outside/hanging off it, full power hole shots, and prop leaving the water I'd have thought were far more stressfull .. also when the hull starts slamming on chop, .. Ive seen some of my outboards takeing some pretty heavy vibration, at a full load, .. that has to hurt because of the leverage they are exerting.
Old 16 September 2011, 17:40   #29

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Agree that especially for small outboards on small boat not catching alot of air, trailering is pretty hard on the transom. At least over here "transom savers" (a metal bar extending from the skeg to the back of the trailer) are popular with lightweight boats using heavy outboards. Eg. bass boats.