Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
GRP Repair - Advice please

Hi all,

I would like some advice on the following.

I have a small crack in my GRP where it joins the tube.

I do not believe it is structural but I would just like to repair it for peace of mind.

I am quite happy doing the GRP repair, Its about a 2cm crack and i want to repair it from behind with glass fibre matting and then fill in the crack and paint it on the outer side.

The problem I have is that the bonding seam that holds the tube onto the hull needs to be lifted so I can get access behind the GRP to apply the matting. The bonding seam has come away slightly where the crack is but I think I need to pull it away at least enough to get my hand in with the tube deflated.

How do I get the seam away from the tube. Can I just use brute force or is their another way.

Secondly can I use the glue that is in my repair kit to stick the seam back down.

many thanks in advance for any help given.

Nick
Old 16 May 2004, 18:36   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
repair

Use a heat gun or hairdrier gently to lift the seam with the heat from either, it will lift, remember to remove any loose or damaged grp, roughen the area, and more important leave heat ie a lamp 150w or something for a period, to dry out the area.When it is cleaned preped ,roughened, clean the surface with acteone, it will quickly evapourite taking with it moisture, then apply resin, matt, resin matt, etc and roll out the excess resin with a paddle roller.If you finish the repair with gel, sand it, wet/dry and use a phone card or credit card to wipe the last coat on and you may not even have to paint it

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2004, 19:10   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Gavin

Gavin,

Cheers for the advice mate. Your advice seems to the way I intend to go. Having spent the last hour looking at some items on the internet, I now feel quietly confident that I can effect a reasonable looking but more important a solid repair.

What I have found hard to get is a white paint that exactly matches the colour of the GRP. I have tried two different whites with no luck. One looked green when applied and the other was too bright. I suppose I shall get their eventually.