Old 26 April 2023, 18:40   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Green boating

For anyone considering electric power for their boat, there is an interesting article in the May edition of Powerboat and Rib magazine. It looks at the pros and cons for use in differing craft, and the true cost of “Green” energy.
Old 27 April 2023, 18:21   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
For anyone considering electric power for their boat, there is an interesting article in the May edition of Powerboat and Rib magazine. It looks at the pros and cons for use in differing craft, and the true cost of “Green” energy.

There’s also an article in the current RYA magazine about a 16yr old lad making an attempt to circumnavigate the UK in an electric RIB. They’re having to install chargers in various marinas, fair enough. But they’re having to use “charging boats” for the gaps[emoji849]The lad’s dad is shadowing the boat on land towing a support caravan.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 23:49   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Forgetting the whole "how green overall is elec power" aspect despite previous reservations I am still attracted to an elec outboard for local river use to the point where I have been studying lots of information and YouTubes on the Torquedo and EPropulsion models.

There is a certain pleasure to near silent propulsion on the rivers and there is an attraction to the lightweight switch on and go aspect. Given life has made, and still continues to make, getting to the coast so difficult the local river slip 15mins by car with riverside eateries a 10mins or 40mins cruise away makes one ever more appealing.

There is no financial justification I could make for this but to quote that well worn phrase "you can't take it with you".

Looking at the Propulsion 1.0 Spirit Plus (£1875) or Torquedo Travel 1103 (£2049).

It may never happen but I know from history I'm at that pre-purchase danger point where a vague interest is getting closer to a possibility... fuelled somewhat by Mrs F just walking past the PC with the Torquedo page up and me getting past stage one of partner engagement without strong resistance.
Old 28 April 2023, 04:21   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I'd like a green boat myself. This one would do.
Old 28 April 2023, 07:15   #5

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
I had a look at the RYA article. It certainly shows up a lack of charging infrastructure to support long range boating.
The magazine article looked at various boating scenarios, and as technology stands at present, inland boating gains most from electric power. There’s a definite appeal for cleaner outboards which are lighter and easier to lug around.The bigger the boats get, and the further they stray, brings out weaknesses over range, weight, and cost verses using petrol/ diesel.
Having recently gone into solar p.v at home, I can see the benefits of lithium battery storage, which are a game changer.
I am struggling with the ethics and green credentials when it involves ripping metals from underground and and the sea bed.
( which I accept is hypocritical!)
Pollution and climate change are clearly driving all of this.
Maybe I’ll sell my Takacat and build a coracle.
Old 28 April 2023, 19:36   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
As I've said before I really rate my torqeedo 1003. Great bit of kit and pairs well with my sailing boat as the solar array and leisure bank on that can recharge the outboard between dinghy missions - no petrol aboard. It's well past the minimum viable point for that use case and a friend used it for aux power on his small yacht recently when the wind dropped with substantial success (until he broke the prop pin...). We aren't really at the powerboat primary propulsion stage yet but give it a couple of years and I'm sure we will see major boat builders making the transition.