Old 16 July 2012, 11:04   #1
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Great safety knife - Buck Flashpoint

Well I have loads of knives but wanted a knife to colour coordinate with my RIB and in the search found this great knife, not only does it have a very useful blade that locks it can also be opened and closed one handed, it has a useful type inbuilt hook which also acts s a bottle opener. The only thing that Pee's me off is that we get ripped off in the UK, check the prices in the US.

Here are some details in case anyone s interested:

US Price NEW Buck Orange FlashPoint Knife with Carabiner Clip 770ORX | eBay

P.S. it is £12 ish postage from the US for all 6 if anyone wanted to order a load for others, beware shipping doubles when you go to 7
Old 16 July 2012, 11:09   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
Well I have loads of knives but wanted a knife to colour coordinate with my RIB
Are you going to fake tan yourself Dale Winton orange so you match your boat?
Old 16 July 2012, 11:13   #3

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
On the thread of colour keying HERE's an opportunity for you. It'll help keep the microwave volted-up

I assume your mobile phone provider is Orange?
Old 16 July 2012, 11:13   #4

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Are you going to fake tan yourself Dale Winton orange so you match your boat?
Old 16 July 2012, 11:22   #5

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
This may fall into the lock knife/gravity knife category, nice knife though!

''Illegal Knives''
In the UK, the main knife legislation is found in the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) 1988 however certain types of knife are banned under the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act (ROWA) 1959, the relevant section of the latter being Section 1.

A) any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes know as a "flick knife" or "flick gun"; or
B) any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a "gravity knife". "
[ROWA 1959 S 1(1)]

Section 1(2) also makes it illegal to import knives of this type, as a result it is (almost) impossible to obtain possession of such a knife without either committing or abetting an offence.

Burden of Proof
Although English law insists that it is the responsibility of the prosecution to provide evidence proving a crime has been committed an individual must provide evidence to prove that they had a bona fide reason for carrying a knife (if this is the case). Whilst this may appear to be a reversal of the usual burden of proof, technically the prosecution has already proven the case (prima facie) by establishing that a knife was being carried in a public place.
Old 16 July 2012, 11:28   #6

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
This may fall into the lock knife category, nice knife though!

''Illegal Knives''
In the UK, the main knife legislation is found in the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) 1988 however certain types of knife are banned under the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act (ROWA) 1959, the relevant section of the latter being Section 1.

A) any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes know as a "flick knife" or "flick gun"; or
B) any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a "gravity knife". "
[ROWA 1959 S 1(1)]

Section 1(2) also makes it illegal to import knives of this type, as a result it is (almost) impossible to obtain possession of such a knife without either committing or abetting an offence.

Burden of Proof
Although English law insists that it is the responsibility of the prosecution to provide evidence proving a crime has been committed an individual must provide evidence to prove that they had a bona fide reason for carrying a knife (if this is the case). Whilst this may appear to be a reversal of the usual burden of proof, technically the prosecution has already proven the case (prima facie) by establishing that a knife was being carried in a public place.
Old 16 July 2012, 11:40   #7
SR4

I'm fully aware of the knife laws, but as a ribber this is an essential tool against ffing lobster pots and Solent pirates so no problems at all there

I think my flares (illuminating not trousers) would do a great deal of mass damage compared to that 20" knife (well my wife thinks its 20" comparing it to other 6" objects )

This knife does NOT fall in the above shown legislation anyway, they are freely available in the UK and I bought mine in Snow & Rock, that legendary shop dealing with illegal weapons

Got to go, I'm in the tanning rooms at 1pm
Old 16 July 2012, 13:18   #8
SR4

Oh dear, look what else I found, couldn't resist, should be with me tomorrow, I am going to be well tooled up

Leatherman LT85/OR/CP Skeletool Clam No Sheath - Orange: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Old 16 July 2012, 14:08   #9

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Have you swapped phone contracts to "Orange" yet ?
Old 16 July 2012, 14:56   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Here's another for you to consider. Good knife, but unfortunately doesn't withstand salt environments without a lot of TLC (involving lots of silicone grease):

CRKT Bear Claw Knife at NRSweb.com

jky
Old 16 July 2012, 16:22   #11

Town: Glasgow
My concern with the o.p.s knife would the sharp pointy bit being used around tubes. I'm a bit on the clumsy side so tend to only use knives with a rounded end just in case.
Old 16 July 2012, 16:28   #12
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
These guys make great knives. These two have "highly water resistant" blades... And they come in orange!

http://www.benchmade.com/products/551H2O

http://www.benchmade.com/products/916
Old 16 July 2012, 18:21   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I use one of these:-

it's a Smith and Wesson Cuttin Horse.

It seems to withstand salt quite well and the curved blade stops it being too easy to accidentally stab the tubes.

One day i'll buy a Gerber and lose it, but for now, if I drop this overboard it's not expensive

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 18:26   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I use one of these:-

it's a Smith and Wesson Cuttin Horse.

It seems to withstand salt quite well and the curved blade stops it being too easy to accidentally stab the tubes.

One day i'll buy a Gerber and lose it, but for now, if I drop this overboard it's not expensive

exactly what i did bought a gerber safety knife and lost the fkkn thing before i got it home
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 18:42   #15
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
These guys make great knives. These two have "highly water resistant" blades... And they come in orange!

551H2O Griptilian Product Detail

916 Triage Product Detail

Nice knives, interesting that the dual blade of the second link are all now back order must be popular to have that. Unfortunately our laws prohibit a pocket knife from being longer than 3 inches, so both of those are out, if I was going larger and couldn't keep it 'legally in my pocket' I would get another divers knife. I have always enjoyed looking at knives in the US, there seems to be so much variety there, I bought a lovely Titanium divers knife which I still have, half the price than in the UK. My wife is in New York at the moment but only ever travels with hand baggage so that rules out any knife presents for me
Old 16 July 2012, 18:59   #16

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
For the rib this is all I need will cut through any nylon rope with ease

Great Kit The Race Rescue Knife, Tools, Repair Kits & Fixings | Mailspeed Marine

Also carry one of these http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGUQ8gIwAA

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGEQ8gIwAA
and these
Old 16 July 2012, 21:31   #17
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Unfortunately our laws prohibit a pocket knife from being longer than 3 inches=
So, if you just don't put it in your pocket, you're ok? That's sort of like here in certain places here in the US: If you wear your handgun on your belt or sling your rifle over your shoulder, it's not a "concealed weapon" (and in certain places, there are no laws against that).

You could also customize a "mini-griptilian" with an orange handle, an N680 alloy blade (2.91 inches long), and the "tanto" blade.
Old 16 July 2012, 21:38   #18
SR4

No, more just general carrying around blade must be less than 3", if you have good reason to carry one bigger then it must be for a reason, so if you get out your car to go wandering around a mall it should be left securely locked in your car, out on your RIB or diving would be fine, that kind of thing. I have quite a few knives but was running out of stuff to buy for the new RIB so saw the knife and bought it, oh, then another kind and bought that, both orange I have just seen a Gecko helmet in orange, I have a white one, but what the hell I think I will get an orange one for weekends to go with my fake tan
Old 17 July 2012, 00:11   #19

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
No, more just general carrying around blade must be less than 3", if you have good reason to carry one bigger then it must be for a reason, so if you get out your car to go wandering around a mall it should be left securely locked in your car, out on your RIB or diving would be fine, that kind of thing. I have quite a few knives but was running out of stuff to buy for the new RIB so saw the knife and bought it, oh, then another kind and bought that, both orange I have just seen a Gecko helmet in orange, I have a white one, but what the hell I think I will get an orange one for weekends to go with my fake tan
I think you will find having a knife with a locking blade more than 3" in length in your car is also an offence, unless you have a good reason for having it. Your car is considered a public place for that purpose.
Old 17 July 2012, 00:22   #20
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
IIRC all lock knifes and fixed knifes in uk regardless of size is illegal to carry in Uk in public place...