Old 25 March 2019, 19:44   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
GPS Tracker

Reading a recent thread about thefts for Ribs etc. I wonder if anyone has fitted one of these to any vehicle or in particular a boat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Likorlove-V...7H0HZAN54DX7D1

Good Price but you need a sim card but sounds interesting. I am interested in views
Old 25 March 2019, 20:49   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I am interested in views
Old 25 March 2019, 21:13   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I puchesed one of these trackers ( not the same model )which I eventually gave up trying to get to work, the fact they rely on phone networks means they have their limitations over here in Australia.

Even though it's law that we have to carry epirbs if traveling more than 2nm offshore I'm still going to purchase a Garmin inreach mini, as these track anywhere in the world and don't need phone reception to do so. They run on the iridium satalite network, the same as sat phones. Not only do they leave a bread crumb trail showing friends where you are but they also allow two way communication and have a dedicated emergency button like plb's and Epirbs.

My travels both offshore and in remote outback areas ( studying reptiles ) are mostly in non reception areas.
Old 25 March 2019, 23:54   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
No experience with that particular tracker, but have been using Xexun TK102 personal trackers and while they were cheap and I had unlimited text SIM cards for only £6/month I had a poor experience with coverage and battery life. Also the build quality was commensurate with the price. Had to cut and paste coordinates from texts into Google Maps. Gave up on them in the end.

Found perfection with the vehicle trackers from Rewire. Properly made with a metal case, small in size, works through a metal car bonnet and no need for a SIM. The subscription is £5/month, you can buy one month at a time if you want, there's a great mobile phone app that goes with it. £45 to buy. It's in a car at the moment but I'll pop it in the boat when on holiday or buy another and only buy the service for the months I need.

P.s. all these gps trackers have features like geofencing and speed limits etc.